Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we are a good way into the first model year of the Gen 3 I'm curious if there are any known issues with the new 2020 Soul whether mechanical or electrical?

·
Registered
14,724 Posts
none that I've heard or read so far, but it's only been a few months.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
It's very new and most problems would be solved by the dealer's under warranty.

If you check safercar.gov you'll find 3 lodged complaints and 9 communications from Kia regarding the 2020 Soul.

·
Registered
491 Posts
As someone has mentioned already, the safety controls have been developed by the same people that made the Boeing 737 Max safety software.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the DCT still questionable with regards to reliability? That seems to be my only sticking point for going out and picking up the GT Turbo right now.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As someone has mentioned already, the safety controls have been developed by the same people that made the Boeing 737 Max safety software.......
Who is this "someone"?

I've never been a cheer leader for "safety controls" going all the way back to the very first seat belts. There are several today that, regardless of who designed them are very much in question as to their reliability.

I had a GT Line for four days, and then took it back and traded it in for an LX, just because of the overload of gadgetry in the GT Line. Without all the gadgets, it was actually a pretty nice car.

Cheers Mate, Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
:cool:

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
The DCT is in more and more HyunKia vehicles for a few years now. I'd suggest trying one out before buying as it won't behave the same as your traditional automatic. I'm not aware of any widespread problems with them.

The nice thing is you'll have it covered with Kia's long warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've driven it (2019 Exclaim) and the transmission didn't really bother me. My concern is reliability and premature clutch wear which is NOT covered by warranty.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I've driven it (2019 Exclaim) and the transmission didn't really bother me. My concern is reliability and premature clutch wear which is NOT covered by warranty.
Unless it was a turbo the 2019 had the conventional and very reliable 6 speed auto.
The turbo DCT's are know for issues.
The 2020 C.V.T. appears to be silky smooth and has been used in previous models (H&K) with no issues that I am aware of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the turbo. It felt fine driving, my main concern was reliability over the long term or if the issues with the DCT were in the minority.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It was the turbo. It felt fine driving, my main concern was reliability over the long term or if the issues with the DCT were in the minority.
I was told by a friend who is a Hyundai tech to avoid anything with a D.C.T.
That could just be 1 mans opinion but I have read of issues with them and having to modify your driving style to accommodate for their shortcomings.
I have also read where they don't like stop & go/creeping traffic and tend to wear prematurely if subjected to it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Duh, maybe it's just late, or I'm tired, but it sounds like the conversation is getting DCT and IVT mixed together.
In the 2020 Soul, we have only the IVT, as far as I've heard so far. At least, that's what's in my 2020 Soul LX.

CVT is a totally mechanical auto shifting transmission. Thank God we don't have one of those.
They worked good on Motor Scooters though.
I drove one of those CVT's in a 2010 Suzuki SX4, and I really didn't care for it. I would never have bought one of those cars.

I really don't understand all the flack about the change in fuel injectors anyway. They worked 100% on my 2013 1.6L Soul.
Now I hear that they've been changed, on the Nu 2.0L engine. Why the change, and how are they better now?

I'm sorry if I go back to the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't F' with it!"

I've found that with the new IVT, it will not go all the way up into 8th gear, unless you manually mess around with it.
You can get some great MPG in 8th gear, on a flat road, but the car won't accelerate worth anything, without you manually shifting down into 5th or 6th gear. For me, the IVT is still a work in progress.

Most days I just don't have time for experimentation, and I just put the gear shift in "D" and let the tranny do its thing.
And it does, quite nicely.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
FL Hamster...once again you seem to be a wealth of misinformation.
1-The 2020 GT Line Turbo once again utilizes the D.C.T. transmission.
2-"CVT is a totally mechanical auto shifting transmission" Is this even possible?
3-A true C.V.T/I.V.T. doesn't have any "speeds" per-say, no less 8 of them
but I believe there are 6 simulated gears not 8?
Section 4/page 50:https://www.mikemurphykia.com/static/dealer-16619/pdf/2020-kia-soul-manual.pdf
4-Your 2013/1.6 was a G.D.I. the 2020/2.0 is M.P.I.
New injection configuration, new injectors. C apish?

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Designed and built in-house, the IVT is Kia’s version of a continuously variable transmission.

The IVT is paired to the company’s Nu 2-liter four-cylinder engine, which will develop 150ps and 178Nm.

The 2-liter can also be bolted to a 6-speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
14,724 Posts
the only clutch not covered under warranty is on the manual transmission except for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. All internal components of the DCT transmission are covered for 10 yrs or 100k miles (if you are the first owner) just the same as the regular 6-spd auto - they are both sealed units.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Apparently I'm not the only one that can't keep their facts straight. But to avoid an all out bar fight, I'll just back out of this discussion.

IQuit.jpg

1 - 20 of 45 Posts