Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Are the heater control knobs or rings replaceable? 2012.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  k2x4b524p 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Well, I had my 2012 Soul detailed and the detail place used some kind of strong cleaner that took off a good amount of the chrome on the heater fan and temperature control knobs. Are these knobs replaceable without having to pull the entire heater control panel? I tried doing some online searches for the knobs and seemed to come up short, and didn't see anything specific in the service manual.

#2 ·
Well, apparently the Gen 1 forum has finally met its demise. 8 days and 3 new posts in here. No answer here. C'est la vie. I guess I'll try to figure out something on my own and if I do I'll post it back here for posterity, though I doubt anyone's left here even listening :rolleyes:?

#4 ·
same here, read it, looked at SM and parts web, got nowhere. SM tells me how to dismantle the radio into a pile of rubbish but yet simply states use SST to remove HVAC unit to avoid scratching trim.
Have you considered plastidip metalizing silver. I can't find the "can" just the spray, online has can for dipping or brushing instructions?

#5 ·
same here, read it, looked at SM and parts web, got nowhere. SM tells me how to dismantle the radio into a pile of rubbish but yet simply states use SST to remove HVAC unit to avoid scratching trim.
Have you considered plastidip metalizing silver. I can't find the "can" just the spray, online has can for dipping or brushing instructions?
I doubt I could do it (the plastic painting) and make it look good. The metal trim color is just around the edges. I've mostly just forgot about it because my wife couldn't care less about it. It bothers me more than it does her, and I'm hardly ever in her car. It seems to me surely those knobs must just pull off, but I hate to break mine trying to do it.

#10 ·
Ha! Except it was the detailer's signature, since whatever chemical he used is what made it flake off. But yeah, I'm probably not ambitious enough to bother with it. Best as I can tell you have to replace the entire HVAC control panel. Of course I know they pressed that knob on there somehow, but I'm not willing to break the knob in my car to see how. So I suppose it will just stay that way.

#11 ·
I suspect those are captive rings, not wedge fit. Each one of mine has a switch in the center. If it's how I think it is then the switch is fastened from the backside. Prying the ring off would damage the centers. Just an educated guess.
In case anyone is interested,
If I were going to try brush paint in place I would get an O-ring or rubber band to fill that groove, tape the knob ring and face or maybe a round sticker. Also an xacto knife and most of a day. Plan on surgery level detail and patience, and since it's her primary be prepared to be kind if she accidentally defects it.

#12 ·
Hi jd, sorry too, this is the first time I saw this thread.

I'm like you, it would "bother" me even though it's functional. I've always been that way about my cars (it's weird, I know).

I'd probably just replace that whole control module for hvac.

2012 HVAV Control Unit

Reactions: jdmartin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.