Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first official thread(aside from a rookie intro), and it is not pleasant. First, let me start off by saying how anal(please forgive me if that word is unauthorized for this forum)I am when it comes to washing and detailing a car. I use three buckets, one for the wheels and tires, one to soap the body, and another to rinse the mitt before soaking with soap again. I remove each wheel every time when I wash a vehicle to get every nook and cranny inside the wheel. So I call two dealers nearest me(one being the place of purchase) to find out the lug torque specs for proper tightening(very picky about torqueing as well). What disgusted me was each dealer I called and spoke to service and parts, NO ONE could give me the specs! These are the people whom we trust with the care of our cars, and they are blind to this information? So I called the HQ for Kia and the wonderful and helpful woman directed me to: https://www.kiatechinfo.com and there I found exactly what I was looking for. Sorry people that this was not a positive first thread, but I needed to vent a bit. Please don't take me as a complainer(far from it), just bothered by lack of info on the part of KIA.

Cheers!
Don

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
it was just one small thing, wouldn't get to worked up about it, but the dealership should have known that via a mechanic, I would suspect that a parts or the service guy may not know it without checking with a mechanic, its not general knowledge type question.

Boy you are OCD about the wheels being clean, never removed a wheel to clean it in over 50 years of owning a vehicle, besides you can get at every part of the wheel without doing it, just takes a bit more effort - but "to each is own". KGIS is an excellent source, being using that site for nearly seven years for reference.

Please fill out the details of what you are driving in the DRIVES info, makes it so much easier to respond to your comments and questions - thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
... just bothered by lack of info on the part of KIA. Cheers! Don
No, you're bothered by lack of info on the part of the DEALERS you contacted, not KIA. So, feel free to complain about the dealers (even though I don't think they did anything wrong), but don't bring KIA itself into the discussion. After all, KIA customer care directed you to the info you needed, right?

(FWIW: you could have also contacted any local tire dealer in your area - they have access to this type of info as well, because without it, they wouldn't be able to change tires!)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
forgot to mention, the wheel lug nut torque specs are in your owners manual (page 8/4 in the 2014 version) :sneakiness:

update - saw on your other posting you have a 2015 model, so the info is still on the same page. 65-79 lb. ft.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Yes, your question was as simple as asking one of their mechanics for the torque figure.............unless he's one of those lay into the air-wrench till it won't go no more type of "mechanics"............who won't have any idea either.

Ultimately, the lack of help you got is down to very poor customer service. Not everyone in a car dealership can know everything, but they ought to be able to pass you over to someone who will either give you the answer or research it and get back to you with the information. Leaving you hanging just doesn't cut it.

KGIS is a wonderful resource and it's where the dealer should be going to find out their information. Your Owners Manual has a lot of helpful information for your use and always look there first for something before going elsewhere...........then try here because someone will almost certainly have the information you're looking for.

We are all at the mercy of our car dealers and as with all businesses there are good ones and bad ones. Because of the Internet, potential purchasers are now walking into showrooms armed with a bundle of knowledge that they previously did not have. It's harder for a car salesman to waffle his way through the sales process if he doesn't have full knowledge of the product, yet it's surprising the number of times we hear of a customer having more product knowledge than the guy who's supposed to be doing a deal with them. Knowledge is power...........so the informed customer can very easily work out if the guy they are dealing with is on his game or not.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Man can't leave his house!
Does-undoes his time 100 times and keeps checking his drawers for pee stains.
Probably disassembles the engine to get out all the dirty old oil too?

·
Registered
608 Posts
OP, I am indeed surprised that someone at the dealership didn't just look at an owner's manual. This is elementary knowledge to say the least. Sheesh.

I love the way you wash the car with three buckets...that's how I wash my Miata. However, you take off each wheel every time....Wow! :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I thought I was detailed in washing my vehicles.
I've done car shows for many years.NEVER took off wheels to clean them.

Just gotta know.Could you please share your car history...
I mean,how many vehicles have you owned,years,how many bought new etc.

You are correct on your observations about dealers.There are bad ones and there are
good ones.It is hard to find a person at a dealership with the knowledge of the product.
When you do,get his/her name and build a relationship.Pass their name onto others.
You will be rewarded.
Torquing wheels...I'm old school ,I use the old torque wrench,tighten lugs in the proper order.
In a dealership shop,its done with a air wrench.Unless you are driving a expensive car like a Porsche,
Ferrari with special wheels thats SOP.
Its a Kia Soul.In another era,it would be a VW bug.
Simple reliable transportation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was just one small thing, wouldn't get to worked up about it, but the dealership should have known that via a mechanic, I would suspect that a parts or the service guy may not know it without checking with a mechanic, its not general knowledge type question.

Boy you are OCD about the wheels being clean, never removed a wheel to clean it in over 50 years of owning a vehicle, besides you can get at every part of the wheel without doing it, just takes a bit more effort - but "to each is own". KGIS is an excellent source, being using that site for nearly seven years for reference.

Please fill out the details of what you are driving in the DRIVES info, makes it so much easier to respond to your comments and questions - thanks.
Not worked up, just disgusted. The service and/or parts desk should have that info. It's not CIA classified information. I beg to differ about it not being "general knowledge". If your saying "it is not a general type question", IMO, that's inaccurate. That is the most basic of things for a parts person to know. I just recently sold an 05/ram/hemi. Back when I first got the truck, I called dodge here and I asked the front desk to transfer me to parts so I can find out the torque for my wheels, and even the CS agent rattled off the specs without transferring me. Now, if the moronic KIA parts dude(both dealers) could not even find it after putting me on hold for 5 min, the standards for hiring based on comprehension is worthless and gone to s**t.

And yes, I am OCD about cleaning my vehicles. We just sold an 03/accord with 230g's. Took it to several dealers to get an idea for trade in value. Every one said that the body and wheels were in showroom condition and the whole car was in magazine condition. So if I seem OCD, than OCD be I!! I haven't even told you about my Hemi/Ram.

And many many thanks for the KGIS. I will be using it as often as I need. That was thoughtful of you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, you're bothered by lack of info on the part of the DEALERS you contacted, not KIA. So, feel free to complain about the dealers (even though I don't think they did anything wrong), but don't bring KIA itself into the discussion. After all, KIA customer care directed you to the info you needed, right?

(FWIW: you could have also contacted any local tire dealer in your area - they have access to this type of info as well, because without it, they wouldn't be able to change tires!)
I stand corrected, thank you very much. I did mean the dealers, but I guess it just came out wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forgot to mention, the wheel lug nut torque specs are in your owners manual (page 8/4 in the 2014 version) :sneakiness:

update - saw on your other posting you have a 2015 model, so the info is still on the same page. 65-79 lb. ft.
I checked, and your on the money. Many thanks to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OP, I am indeed surprised that someone at the dealership didn't just look at an owner's manual. This is elementary knowledge to say the least. Sheesh.

I love the way you wash the car with three buckets...that's how I wash my Miata. However, you take off each wheel every time....Wow! :)
When you wipe down the surface of your car, you are transferring all kinds of c**p back to the bucket. Everyone's different, but I like it this way. It gives me my desired results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I was detailed in washing my vehicles.
I've done car shows for many years.NEVER took off wheels to clean them.

Just gotta know.Could you please share your car history...
I mean,how many vehicles have you owned,years,how many bought new etc.

You are correct on your observations about dealers.There are bad ones and there are
good ones.It is hard to find a person at a dealership with the knowledge of the product.
When you do,get his/her name and build a relationship.Pass their name onto others.
You will be rewarded.
Torquing wheels...I'm old school ,I use the old torque wrench,tighten lugs in the proper order.
In a dealership shop,its done with a air wrench.Unless you are driving a expensive car like a Porsche,
Ferrari with special wheels thats SOP.
Its a Kia Soul.In another era,it would be a VW bug.
Simple reliable transportation.
Many cars in my life, but there were two that were my babies:

1st- was a 71 Chevelle SS with a 454, later added a supercharger. This was my last two years of HS. Drunk driver crossed the center median and hit me head on. Car was destroyed and I sustained many injuries, but healed well.

2nd-was about 5 years later I restored a 69 superbee with a 427 Hemi. I later added a supercharger to that.

And many others before and after. I will try and find photos to post them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a wee bit of info on that chev, I had a custom red paint w/white stripping done on it with the seats dyed a custom white w/red. Cost me $5100. Then later on down the road, I removed the supercharger from the bee and bottled it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts