Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

Registered
2012 Kia Soul, 1.6 Automatic, Base
If they're on the dealership lot then they're most likely fleet or rental vehicles with a few leases sprinkled in. If they were rentals they won't have any maintenance records in the Carfax since rental companies self-maintain their fleet. I would avoid rentals like the plague since you'll never truly know how well the car was maintained, if at all. If the maintenance records are pretty thorough or complete there's a better chance the car was a lease vehicle and would be maintained at Kia-specified intervals. These assessments were drawn from my research & experiences when I was looking through dealership inventory when shopping for my used Soul. YMMV 馃憤
Good to know for the future (on rental vehicles). My old coworker bought a 2018 Equinox with 8k miles and it was a rental. Didn't mention any problems. YMMV, of course. Anyways, see ya!

Registered
鉁达笍BING鉁达笍 Toast's ready, pass the butter!
Good to know for the future (on rental vehicles). My old coworker bought a 2018 Equinox with 8k miles and it was a rental. Didn't mention any problems. YMMV, of course. Anyways, see ya!

I had not known that rental car companies maintain their own fleets until I started looking for our Soul. The problem with them maintaining their own vehicles is that they'll wait to perform standard maintenance until they have enough work needing to be done in order to justify making the car unavailable to rent and make $ for the day. I doubt that they'll be as picky about, for example, oil change intervals as would a private owner or a lesee. Not to mention how poorly renters treat those cars while driving. The last time I rented a car for a week I filled up the tank 3 times, but never once checked the oil because it was a rental.

But the thing that really turned me off from buying a rental was seeing a creepy driver of a rental car while at a rest stop who literally had half of his hairy buttocks hanging out from poor fitting sweatpants. Watching him get into and out of his car while his driver's seat became his own personal butt wipe made my wife and I want to 馃ぎ! I realize that some things in life you never, ever want to know about (such as did I unknowingly eat a bug in my fast food meal), but it was at that point that I swore off buying a rental to own. The self maintenance revelation just sealed the deal. 馃槅

Registered
2011 Kia Soul+
I bought my "Flying Tomato" in April 2021 from a dealer when it had 198,xxx on it. It now has 201,xxx and runs like a fine Swiss watch. Carfax only enlightened me to its maintenance history up to about 148,xxx so I've been busy establishing a baseline for it. I've replaced the timing belt, water pump, plugs, all hoses and belts, engine and cabin air filters, and it now has Mobil 1 full synthetic, designed for high mileage, oil running through its heart. Still need to do the tranny. LOVE this car! Hope to get another 50k out of it.

Registered
2021 Soul X-Line, 2.0, CVT, Blue/Black
My oldest son is still driving our first Soul, a 2011 base with the 1.6 liter and 5-speed manual. He is just over 180k miles on the original engine and has had very few problems. I expect it to make it to 200k without a problem.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
I have 250,000 miles on my 2016 Kia Soul. just now Having problems with it though.
That's excellent for a little 4 banger engine. May I ask what type of maintenance routine have you followed and also what type of problems have come up at 250,000 miles? What type of oil & gas used?

Thanks.

Registered
My 2016 base Soul made it to 409,000 on the original engine. It just recently started knocking but it's clearly reaching its end. I bought a 2020 Soul last week. I did go through 2 catalytic converters and a set of fuel injectors, but not a lot more, and Kia paid for one of the catalytic converters.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts