Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe we're doing it wrong because I can't imagine why they would have left it this way but you know how when you hit lock twice on your remote in most cars it does a half honk or a chirp to indicate the alarm is set? Well why on the soul does it honk as loud as it can? It startles people, heck it startles us sometimes and we know it's coming! Not sure if the 1st gen was like this too but it's super annoying.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My 2010 does a regular full "honk!"
Since I replaced my RoadRunner Beep! Beep! horn with an Air Horn when I first got my Soul
You can imagine how LOUD mine is.
And yes It can & does startle people, sometimes I do it for Fun to startle unsuspecting folks :w00t:

But, I'm never annoyed or startled

·
Registered
373 Posts
It was even louder on my Ford Focus. I usually just hit lock once and make sure I hear the doors lock. Don't like hearing the honk lol.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
779 Posts
When you find the "loudness/volume" switch/control on the SOUL, please let us know. I don't think they exist nor are needed-afterall what is a horn's purpose? Very MINOR complaint IMO.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
its always been like that, hardly notice it, but usually I only press it once as that locks all the doors anyway (so easily avoided), so twice is not really necessary as it also flashes the lights too.
I guess it shows how loud that horn really is and many complain its not loud enough :sneakiness:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
"Chirp" would indicate a separate alarm horn.
"Honk" would indicate the use of the cars factory horn.
I guess Kia wants you to know your car is secure from a distance or from inside the house.
Sometimes when kids are riding their bikes too close or irresponsibly I'll hit the button and they stop with that perplexed look on their face like the cars knows they are getting too close or something.
Now don't get me started on that there "panic button" as that thing continues to frustrate the hell out of me!

·
Registered
448 Posts
IMHO there is far too much unnecessary loud or annoying noise these days everywhere you go. Car horns do need to be heard from inside other closed cars at highway speed to get someone's attention in a dangerous situation.
I never need to hit the Lock Button more than once to KNOW my car is locked. If you are close you can hear your car locking, and if you are far away you see the lights flash. I've always wondered why people even need to hear their car honk when they can see the lights flash to lock it. It's only become a 'thing' since remote car keys got invented. I figure why be annoying and/or give people heart attacks if it's totally not necessary?

I do realize some folks enjoy being annoying, damaging people's hearing, or scaring them. I'm not one of them. Plus, as a musician I don't appreciate a full-on car horn going off without warning right near me as I'm walking. Even some of those 'chirps' are pretty earsplitting when you are right near them. I try to protect against hearing loss, though these days it seems to be a losing battle.
Lock 'chirps' should not be so loud as to make pedestrians jump and be startled. If a lock horn is loud enough to make people jump, just lock once instead and observe your lights flash as you walk away.
Hmm...can you tell this is one of my personal peeves? Oh well, not that I expect to change anyone's mind...just had to vent.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just feel its a poor design choice that could have been very easily corrected. I get that horns need to be heard but it shouldn't be blasting the horn like that when you hit lock twice, I've never heard another car do this they usually do a half honk, heck even my old Saturn did a half honk.

Does the alarm get armed if you only press it once? Every car I've seen with the feature you need to press twice to arm it so I'm guessing the Soul is the same. It's really annoying and when you come home late at night or something your pissing off all your neighbors.

So far it's the one thing about the Soul that bugs me and the first thing that I've found which is poorly designed, it's a shame that it's something you have to deal with multiple times a day.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've actually never seen a car that does a half honk. I've seen some that do a computerish beep or boop type sound but any I've heard that uses the horn is the whole horn. Maybe the soul horn is louder than your previous cars? It's just a quick beep and people aren't peeing their pants every time I lock my doors so I never thought of it as an issue. I'd rather it be loud so I know it's locked!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No most cars its a very quick/half honk, it's completely different then if you were to actually full push on the cars horn and generally either not as loud or much quicker. The soul is a full honk as if you were in the car and held the the cars horn, it's not quick or anything it's quite substantial.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
F.W.I.W...I do agree with most of what the Kitty has said.
I work in a noisy environment so when I get home, I really do "enjoy the silence" so to speak.
I'm quite content to sit in front of my compute screen and chat it up with fellow/fella soul owners when I can.
I find tv and movies somewhat obtrusive so P&Q (peace & quiet, that is) is a welcome state of affairs in my home.
I remember when folks (cheap ass) car alarms would go off with every passing finch fart or wind storm.
Annoying it was and sooner or later you grew to ignore them even when someone was actually stealing your neighbors car.
Anyone old enough to remember those "city/country" horn modes they had back in the day?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think generally a car alarm going off does draw attention, when one goes off everyone goes to see if it's theirs and if someone is breaking into your car and it goes off they aren't gonna stick around. The alarms on these aren't like the aftermarket alarms that go off every time a bus drives by but rather they just go off if one of the doors/hatch/hood is opened without the alarm being disarmed with the remote first, simple and effective.

There's just no rason for it to do a full out "Get out of my way" honk when you arm it, there's absolutely no reason it should have left the drawing board like that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one that comes standard on just about every car in the past 10-15 years or so (at least every car I've seen). If a door/hatch/trunk/hood is opened without it being unlocked with the remote then the alarm (honking) will go off.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
I just feel its a poor design choice that could have been very easily corrected. I get that horns need to be heard but it shouldn't be blasting the horn like that when you hit lock twice, I've never heard another car do this they usually do a half honk, heck even my old Saturn did a half honk.

Does the alarm get armed if you only press it once? Every car I've seen with the feature you need to press twice to arm it so I'm guessing the Soul is the same. It's really annoying and when you come home late at night or something your pissing off all your neighbors.

So far it's the one thing about the Soul that bugs me and the first thing that I've found which is poorly designed, it's a shame that it's something you have to deal with multiple times a day.
so really you've answered your own question, you don't like the noise and don't want to bug the neighbours, so only press the button once and problem solved. :sneakiness:

It's a panic alarm it does not arm the vehicle. (unless the dealer installed an aftermarket one). Your vehicle comes standard with an immobilizer.
Panic:
The horn sounds and hazard warning lights flash for about 30 seconds if this button is pressed for more than 1 second. To stop the horn and lights, press any button except the trunk button on the transmitter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts