Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum first and found one old thread on it. http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...slike-hill-holder-feature-can-turned-off.html
Unless something has changed I guess the answer is still "no." I had this kick in on me today leaving a parking lot. First time it kicked in. It caused me to stall the car. I've been driving manual transmission cars for decades. This feature feels more like a hindrance to me. I'd love to permanently disable it. Anyone have any new information on how I might go about doing that? 2015 base model Soul, 6-speed manual. Thank you in advance for feedback/information. :very_drunk:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess I'll have to but I'd prefer to NOT learn to adapt to this since I've never heard of any other car that does this. Anyone who adapts to (learns to rely on) this feature is going to have trouble with every other car that doesn't have this "feature."

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Many new vehicles now have this feature, like anything you are not used it can take while to adapt, but once you do you will have no problem. As most of the Soul's are auto, its less of problem to adapt to this feature.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wouldn't be so bad if it was not such a long hesitation between the time I take my foot off of the brake pedal before the brake lets go. Someone's gotta be a pretty crappy driver to need two seconds to hit the gas after they let off on the brake. I get the impression that whoever set up the manual transmission on this car couldn't drive a NORMAL manual transmission worth a crap.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I kind of like it and my other car I graduated from was the 5 speed in a Mustang, I either held the e-brake to assist or just clutched it straight out.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,527 Posts
Hey Shag, I've gotten used to it now, but like you really have never needed something like this, even on the steepest hill starts.

One thing that I don't like is when you are right on the cusp of an angle, wondering when the traffic signal turns green if hill assist is ON or OFF. It makes a difference in pedal action.

I wish there was a dash indicator when hill assist is activated on manual transmissions.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Adapt to it. It's doing something you should be doing anyway so that you don't actually have to.
If you are saying putting on the parking brake so you don't roll back is something he should be doing anyway, I think that is more for inexperienced drivers, or they lack confidence or skill.

I have never seen an experienced clutch driver nurse the parking brake on a hill. It's a bad habit to get into.

Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
^ I also dislike, very much, the "hill assist". I've drove over a million miles, almost all of them in manuals, and I have never needed this feature even on the steepest hill. Like GeoSoul, the thing I hate most about it is guessing whether or not it is engaged. For that reason, I almost always just shift into neutral while I'm waiting so that I know it's not engaged when I go to take off.

PS: I find it absolutely most aggravating when I have to pull out in reverse on a hill, like in a steeper parking lot. I have stalled more than once because I let off the clutch and gave it gas and the car went nowhere.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ I also dislike, very much, the "hill assist". I've drove over a million miles, almost all of them in manuals, and I have never needed this feature even on the steepest hill. Like GeoSoul, the thing I hate most about it is guessing whether or not it is engaged. For that reason, I almost always just shift into neutral while I'm waiting so that I know it's not engaged when I go to take off.

PS: I find it absolutely most aggravating when I have to pull out in reverse on a hill, like in a steeper parking lot. I have stalled more than once because I let off the clutch and gave it gas and the car went nowhere.
Yeah, the "not knowing" if it's going to kick in or not is what bugs me the most, too. I didn't know that if I shift into neutral while waiting at the light that it would not kick in at all. That's good info, thanks for sharing. I stalled the car out the first time the HAC kicked in on me. First time I'd stalled a manual car out in... I can't remember the last time before that. :very_drunk:

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
^^^^ That might be a little misleading. When you put the car back in gear, the hill hold will re-engage, so basically you're back to where you started. But at least you weren't fatiguing the clutch by keeping it depressed while sitting at a light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts