Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, oddly enough, the headlights are in different places for different trim levels. Frankly, I haven't looked at my LX to see which are the headlights. They seem adequate to me, but I do very little driving at night, so it probably doesn't matter. I suppose people have preferences for headlights, but I wouldn't change lighting type in my car. I assume that the headlights in my LX meet whatever standards apply, so I'm not bothered by the details, frankly. KIA made the decision to use different lighting strategies on different trim levels. So be it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well, oddly enough, the headlights are in different places for different trim levels. Frankly, I haven't looked at my LX to see which are the headlights. They seem adequate to me, but I do very little driving at night, so it probably doesn't matter. I suppose people have preferences for headlights, but I wouldn't change lighting type in my car. I assume that the headlights in my LX meet whatever standards apply, so I'm not bothered by the details, frankly. KIA made the decision to use different lighting strategies on different trim levels. So be it.
The headlights on the base model are where the fog lamps are in the upper trims. I have yet to see a base model at night, but I think they use conventional headlights.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
The headlights on the base model are where the fog lamps are in the upper trims. I have yet to see a base model at night, but I think they use conventional headlights.
I have and they lights are OK and do as much as the ones on Gen 2s.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are LED bulbs that are specifically designed to mimic the light output of a halogen bulb and do retain the factory cutoff. It can be done but the problem is that the market is flooded with so many designs that finding the right one can be a PIA and take much trial and error to find one that works on a specific reflector. I put LED bulbs in my last vehicle (2003 Ford Explorer) and they worked way better than halogen bulbs. I'm very conscious about blinding other drivers and it was a major factor in choosing bulbs I tried 3 different sets before finding a set that actually had a better cutoff than the halogen bulbs did and put more light down on the road where it's beneficial. Before I put the LED's in I'd get high beamed at least 2 times a month with the LED bulbs I never got flashed in 3 years. FYI I did try HID as an experiment the light output is everywhere there is no cutoff and half of the light is up in the trees. HID has no filament it only lights the gas inside the bulb so the light output cannot be controlled. Good LED bulbs can actually work better because the LED's can be placed on the bulb so it can focus the light to the specific part of the reflector to focus the light down on the road

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have and they lights are OK and do as much as the ones on Gen 2s.
When I had my 2018 dropped off at my house (the sales rep was following me) the base headlights were extremely yellow, which just made the car look old. The HIDs would be nice if I couldn't get the LEDs or aftermarket LEDs.

I was actually sitting waiting for a rider today, parked in front of a window, and I have to admit, the LEDs on the 2020s really look nice. I found myself looking at the LEDs and their intricate trim pieces.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
18 Participants
TXSSSoul
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing