Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I has nothing to do with having thick skin, but it does have everything to do with inconsiderate dimwits installing LEDs or HIDs in housings they were never designed for. Why do you think the car makers install more expensive housings when they have LED lights or HID lights on the cars. Do you think for one minute if the reflector style headlight was sufficient they wouldn't use them, they would in a heartbeat.

Pat.
Sorry, but if you're going to fly off the handle TWICE, and resort to name calling because I stated that there are plenty of cars that have insanely blinding lights, and that I'm indifferent to the LEDs that I installed on a vehicle THAT I DON'T EVEN OWN ANYMORE, then yes you have some thin skin, and quite frankly some anger issues.

I'm guessing based on your over-reaction, you must have some issues to resolve in real life. May be time to lower your sodium intake, or may be time for you to discuss your employer/significant other/family situation with the person that is making you feel the need to lash out online (for something as petty as me stating that I'm not as concerned with spraying oncoming traffic with light--you're not speaking on behalf of vampires are you?). In other words, stop trying to be the "hero of the headlights", and more importantly, stop trying to indirectly insult me. I'm personally fine with being insulted (I'm not thin skinned, nor anything to prove to anyone online), but the mod staff may not take too kindly to it.
Yeesh. Whatever the argument, LEDs, halogens, and arc discharge lights like HIDs ALL have different output characteristics, and are NOT compatible in housings that were designed for other light types. It annoys the hell out of me when I see aftermarket HIDs in halogen reflector housings and they blind me off the road, PLUS it's illegal per NHTSA rules. It truly creates a hazard on the road. Headlight housings are very high precision pieces of engineering, and using the wrong light type in them can create major problems.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeesh. Whatever the argument, LEDs, halogens, and arc discharge lights like HIDs ALL have different output characteristics, and are NOT compatible in housings that were designed for other light types. It annoys the hell out of me when I see aftermarket HIDs in halogen reflector housings and they blind me off the road, PLUS it's illegal per NHTSA rules. It truly creates a hazard on the road. Headlight housings are very high precision pieces of engineering, and using the wrong light type in them can create major problems.

I actually had mine installed at an auto shop. I don't know if they swapped out the housing or not, but I don't think it's an excuse for some people to fly off the handle. Then again, some people will bitch about anything these days. I could probably post up that I tore off my mattress tags and have some member get all pissy. I guess it's where things are now, everyone wants to get all angry in the privacy of their homes, behind a keyboard. But when it comes to confronting someone in person, people get timid.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I actually had mine installed at an auto shop. I don't know if they swapped out the housing or not, but I don't think it's an excuse for some people to fly off the handle. Then again, some people will bitch about anything these days. I could probably post up that I tore off my mattress tags and have some member get all pissy. I guess it's where things are now, everyone wants to get all angry in the privacy of their homes, behind a keyboard. But when it comes to confronting someone in person, people get timid.
Ripping off mattress tags hurts nobody but yourself, and if you read the tags they usually say not to be removed except by owner. You're the owner. Remove all you want.

Throwing glare in people's eyes and giving yourself a headlight pattern with bad hotspots and dead zones hurts you and the people sharing the road with you. Most auto shops aren't going to swap your headlight housings for you. OEM parts for headlights are expensive as hell, and HID and LED "kits" that are built to fit in as aftermarket applications are made to go into normal halogen housings- so they don't behave like OEM hardware. Optics really are high precision assemblies where all the parts have to work together properly. If you put HIDs into a halogen projector headlight, you can sometimes get away with no hotspots because the projector lens and cutoff shield do so much reshaping of the beam pattern that it masks all the bad stuff, but straight LED/HID plug-in to a reflector lens housing will scatter stuff everywhere. It's not like you're just driving around with high beams on- the beam scatters in all sorts of weird ways that you as the driver have less usable light too. It may actually be brighter in some spots, but usually not in a good way that actually increases your night vision on the road.

Best option is to use brighter halogen bulbs in the factory reflector housings if you want actual better vision at night. Even better if you want to put HIDs or LEDs in without paying for the complete factory headlight housings is to retrofit the entire projector assembly from a vehicle equipped from the factory with HIDs or LEDs- which means opening up and cutting up your factory housings. This is actually the best option for headlight upgrades in my opinion, because you can pick from the best projectors in the industry for beam pattern instead of having to use whatever Kia put into their top trim level cars. It's still illegal and probably the hardest way to upgrade your headlights, but at least you're following the intent of the law by using the correct optics for your light source, and you end up with a true upgraded beam pattern that's better for you as a driver and better for those sharing the road with you. Projector retrofit hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper every year too.

FYI: I typically hunt for an extra pair of OEM headlight housings when I buy a car. Currently have a complete extra set for my truck so I can cut them up and shove HID projectors in without sacrificing the factory housings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own a 2020 GT Line with the LED headlights and fog lights and they light up everything in front of me like you wouldn’t believe! Amazing to me that no one has flashed their lights at me yet, but they must have done their job well in designing the housing. Coming from someone whose last car had completely ineffective headlights (2016 Honda HR-V), these are a godsend.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I own a 2020 GT Line with the LED headlights and fog lights and they light up everything in front of me like you wouldn’t believe! Amazing to me that no one has flashed their lights at me yet, but they must have done their job well in designing the housing. Coming from someone whose last car had completely ineffective headlights (2016 Honda HR-V), these are a godsend.
I did some extensive night driving recently, and I had luxury SUVs and other high end sedans pull up alongside me. Their light projection didn't look much different than mine. I even had a chance to use my high beams (Don't worry everyone that's apparently suffering from Photophobia, no retinas were harmed during filming!) and it lit up the entire area. Definitely nice to have on the Soul.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I did some extensive night driving recently, and I had luxury SUVs and other high end sedans pull up alongside me. Their light projection didn't look much different than mine. I even had a chance to use my high beams (Don't worry everyone that's apparently suffering from Photophobia, no retinas were harmed during filming!) and it lit up the entire area. Definitely nice to have on the Soul.
To pass US regulations for approval and sale, the headlights from all car manufacturers have to meet some pretty strict requirements for beam pattern and light dispersion. No surprise that the other new cars you've pulled up next to have similar light output. I've been really impressed by most of the OEM LED setups. Haven't seen the 3rd gen Soul beam pattern in person- but I do really like the LED headlights on my 17 BRZ!

Now we just need US regs to catch up to the Euro ones so we can have adaptive lighting for oncoming traffic dimming and curve highlighting...

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've been impressed with my Soul's headlights. I do have the projecter version and the Soul is the first car I've had that equals my A8 when it comes to road illumination.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
To pass US regulations for approval and sale, the headlights from all car manufacturers have to meet some pretty strict requirements for beam pattern and light dispersion. No surprise that the other new cars you've pulled up next to have similar light output. I've been really impressed by most of the OEM LED setups. Haven't seen the 3rd gen Soul beam pattern in person- but I do really like the LED headlights on my 17 BRZ!

Now we just need US regs to catch up to the Euro ones so we can have adaptive lighting for oncoming traffic dimming and curve highlighting...
U.S. regulations scare the hell out of me, especially when I heard that some countries won't buy our chicken because we bleach ours in the production process. Makes you start to wonder what other simple common sense regulations aren't in place where they should be.

I was a little impressed that the Soul has similar output to a luxury vehicle, mostly because let's face it, the Soul is an economy car.

I've been impressed with my Soul's headlights. I do have the projecter version and the Soul is the first car I've had that equals my A8 when it comes to road illumination.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
The HIDs are most likely better than the base yellow headlights. One of the reasons I changed them out is because while driving, the light was just this old looking yellow color. The LEDs used in the 3rd gen are quite impressive. I read a magazine article that said the LEDs make the Soul look like a Range Rover Evoque that has had one too many eclairs.

·
Registered
390 Posts
U.S. regulations scare the hell out of me, especially when I heard that some countries won't buy our chicken because we bleach ours in the production process. Makes you start to wonder what other simple common sense regulations aren't in place where they should be.

I was a little impressed that the Soul has similar output to a luxury vehicle, mostly because let's face it, the Soul is an economy car.
Yeaaaaaaaah thankfully there are different government agencies that regulate food safety vs car safety. :D

I honestly had no idea that there were actually awards for "best headlight design" within the industry until I found out that the S2000 placed pretty high in the rankings when it came out. For the Soul, since every car on the road has to meet the same lighting requirements for their model year, I don't find it odd that an economy car could have the same beam output as a luxury car. The optics might not have the opportunity to be as expensive as a luxury car, but in the end it's still all put together by a team of engineers that have to meet the same performance specs no matter what car they're designing. The higher end lighting hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper, so now the econo-box companies can shove cool looking LEDs into fairly pedestrian cars like the Soul and the Cherokee just like the luxury lines- so they have a better shot at coming to parity with the expensive cars... except apparently the Cherokee's LED headlights aren't very good. Haven't driven one myself yet. :(

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I really hate the super-white retina-searing headlights that are on some new cars. Or if they're conversions, they still blind me and all other oncoming drivers.

As for oil filters, I used to use Klotz in my Kaw 500. And I had three K&N air filters too, sounded pretty cool.

·
Registered
381 Posts

I work nights,and as such drive during that time(imagine that).I love the output of the lights on my GT Line Turbo.Very bright,with a nice flat cutoff,as to not blind oncoming traffic.They reach out,nice and far.Very much reminds me of the lights on my 2011 Vette,in that I don’t feel like I would out run them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I wanted to revisit this thread for the people that were crying about aftermarket LEDs. Apparently, the factory LEDs still blind people. Not a night goes by where I get someone flashing their high beams at me thinking that I have my high beams on. Anyone else having the same experience?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
18 Participants
TXSSSoul
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing