Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating getting the turbo but I have concerns about reliability and premature clutch wear. What do people think of the DCT that have owned them? I've test driven the Turbo and nothing bothered me.

·
Super Moderator
7,697 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Test-drove a turbo with the DCT and it felt like the transmission was slipping a lot and the jerkiness was definitely there, making the whole drive unpleasant. I'll be surprised if the majority of the DCTs make it to 100,000 miles, but then I was wrong once before. Have not driven the CVT soul yet, but all other CVTs I've driven/owned have been uninspiring (as all seem to rev more without delivering any usable power); for now, I still prefer the 6 speed auto tranny or a manual.

Greg

·
Registered
119 Posts
coming up to my first oil change, DCT + Turbo has been great for the most part.

no jerkiness at all, hope it stays this way.

at times, some of the gear changes don't make sense to a human driver reading the road, but i find that keeping it in Sport Mode sorts it out for the most part and makes for the most satisfying feel and performance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far I'm loving the DCT in my car. I can see where the complaints about it come from. Before buying one you should test drive one as they are not for everyone. If your looking for a silky smooth automatic this is not for you. It is basically an automatic shifting manual trans there is no torque converter that connects the motor to the trans the way a traditional automatic works. It actually has a dry clutch which is more of a direct drive to the gearbox like a manual. For me it provides a more satisfying feel during acceleration at the cost of some low speed jerkiness. If you are driving slow in traffic or a parking lot sport mode will make it a lot worse you shouldn't use it for slow speed driving. I do have concerns of the clutch life in these transmissions I guess time will tell how long they last. So far I've yet to see anyone with high mileage on one in these forums. If anyone has high mileage I would certainly be interested in hearing their opinions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I'm loving the DCT in my car. I can see where the complaints about it come from. Before buying one you should test drive one as they are not for everyone. If your looking for a silky smooth automatic this is not for you. It is basically an automatic shifting manual trans there is no torque converter that connects the motor to the trans the way a traditional automatic works. It actually has a dry clutch which is more of a direct drive to the gearbox like a manual. For me it provides a more satisfying feel during acceleration at the cost of some low speed jerkiness. If you are driving slow in traffic or a parking lot sport mode will make it a lot worse you shouldn't use it for slow speed driving. I do have concerns of the clutch life in these transmissions I guess time will tell how long they last. So far I've yet to see anyone with high mileage on one in these forums. If anyone has high mileage I would certainly be interested in hearing their opinions.
Agreed, I've never seen someone with high mileage. I would also like to know what someone with high mileage thinks about their DCT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just picked up a 2017 Soul Turbo at 24k miles.. no issues with the DCT. If you're expecting an automatic, and for it to behave like an automatic, I can see where you'd be disappointed. I quite like it - miles better than the 6AT 2.0L 2015 Soul ! I traded for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Perfectly happy with the DCT so far. Some valid points made, it's not a traditional automatic, it's a manual with CPU controlled shifts. I love mine so far. Shifts fast, if you want more control, switch to manual shift.

I've always had manuals. and so the transition to this is different than for a traditional automatic owner.

Remember, DCTs are a trickle down from high end sports cars, even the 2020 Corvette Stingray has a DCT, and Jay Leno approves. (If you haven't seen this thing, YouTube it. Mid engine beast!)

***EDIT*** Not entirely accurate about the trickle down, but many high end cars used them because owners wanted fast shifts without a clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts