Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although we love our 2017 Soul my wife no longer trusts her 2003 VW Beetle and is interested in a new car. She thinks the Fiat is "cute". Any one own one or have any experience with them? The only thing I know is that the depreciation on them is terrible.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,619 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to find any positive reviews or reliability numbers on it.

The Jeep Renegade is basically a 500X with a Jeep cab dropped on it as well.

Fiat may be in the process of leaving the US, which would make it easier to not buy one. They are cute, but a hot mess.

There are far better choices out there.

Reactions: sube and pnoman

·
Registered
155 Posts
When we started looking,
We targeted 'type',
Unusual, euro, box style.
Cooper, Fiat, Cube, Scion, Soul,
With parameter of 4 door people mover.

We went to ALL the local dealerships
to test drive Each car of this type,
I was really hoping for cooper or fiat.

Due to dash and interior layout,
Cooper and fiat were amung
the early illimenations.

We wait a month
to let the test drives settle.
A month later re-test drove
Each model again.
The finalists were
The Scion and Soul.

Waited another month
3rd-test drive Scion & Soul.
The Soul won out.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Fiat's have one of the most unreliable records of all the vehicles out there. The sales have really been tanking too, July 2011 when it came out they sold 3,038 units, July 2018 363 (in Canada they only sold 21 units). As Geo mentioned it makes you wonder if the Fiat brand will be pulled from the US and Canadian markets.

You said she wanted new, the 2018 Fiat 500 POP has a starting MSRP of $16,245 - I can think of a lot better vehicles that are in that price area.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have experience with both the Fiat and the Renegade. Steer clear of both.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wife has a '16 Jeep/Fiat Renegade and loves it.

I have a '18 Soul and enjoy it just as much.

Test drove a friends Abarth for a week and while it was fun, it sounded more fun than it was. Fiats at least in my area are fairly common and everyone I have spoken to has had no more or less issues than any other make/model, the Abarths specifically I see often on roadsides or on flat beds. And due to size they just dont seem practical at all.

As for the Renegade Its a great vehicle for the right price. She got it brand new for ~13K as it was year end and a stick shift and they couldnt sell it. I admit its fun to spin the turbo up and zoom, but thats about it. Good MPG on highway. averaged 38 on the computer. 36 according to fuely app. Lots of blind spots and sits a little narrower than I would like for the size car.

As you already know with the soul by the sounds of it, its a well rounded, value centered box that will be as reliable as the next one

Also tried the Honda Fit (It is small. I am not. And I did not. )
Totota iM/Scion iM/Matrix/Vibe. It is literally the same vehicle as the 2003 matrix I traded in for the soul but with a fancy body and a high price tag
Subaru Crosstrek if you want a bulletproof drivetrain and AWD. Also a tad more $$$ but holds value better
Mom has a CH-R and likes it as well as any of us like our souls, but I do notice road noise is far louder in it than the Soul

Sorry for long post. It is late and I was lurking in the forums and thought Id stop by.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yes,
2 days ago I had one back into my Soul
While mine got scratched & dented (see pic),
the Fiat's fender didn't seem to be dented, just paint transfer
Soul damage    8-30-18 (1).jpg

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
^^^^ Sorry to see that Soul Rush. Just more evidence that Fiat 500s are troublemakers :)

Reactions: Buzz and Soul Rush

·
Registered
50 Posts
I forgot about the Kona! I love the styling! They had one on display when I got my Soul.

No manual transmission option though :( kinda a bummer. I realize MT are a niche market these days, but with at least the option to have one with AWD could compete quite well with Scoobaru and renegade

Another one to look at is the HR-V. Not a huge Honda fan, but they have a nice look about them and seem pretty capable.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
The HR-V has dropped off my radar now that Honda deleted the stick shift variant & neutered it with a CVT power train.

Insult + injury.

Reactions: DoDaHarry

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There will always be a poster or two who loves their car when others say not to buy it. For some cars I do question the reasons given why they are so bad but in the case of Fiat.... DON'T DO IT.
The year I bought our Altima (1999) reviews were for reliability were not great. I still have that car, it still runs great, rides great. Minor repairs except replacing some front end suspension parts. So I see both sides of it. But really, the reasons not to buy the fiat are overwhelming.

·
Registered
484 Posts
One of my co-workers had a 500 non-Abarth, manual. I drove it a few times- relatively peppy, but always felt "tippy" because of the high seating position and the squishy suspension. It drove larger than it actually was, so there's that- you feel like you're in a much bigger and heavier car than you really are. Not a good feeling. It does seat 4 though, and the convertible mechanism is kinda cool since you can open it in several positions and it's not a true drop top. You CAN find used ones dirt cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts