Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought a 2013 Soul for my 16 year old daughter. Only had 24k miles on it as the car belonged to her aunt who passed and didn’t drive the car a whole lot as you can see.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for with the car as this is our first Kia. The car drives fine and is up-to-date on all recalls. Honestly no issues that I can see on the car.

I’ve done some basic maintenance things (wipers, filters etc.) on it and I have changed the oil in it already, but wondering if I should do the transmission fluid as well.

Anything I might be missing here that I should look out for or anything I might be missing.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
682 Posts
My wife and I bought a 2013 Soul for my 16 year old daughter. Only had 24k miles on it as the car belonged to her aunt who passed and didn’t drive the car a whole lot as you can see.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for with the car as this is our first Kia. The car drives fine and is up-to-date on all recalls. Honestly no issues that I can see on the car.

I’ve done some basic maintenance things (wipers, filters etc.) on it and I have changed the oil in it already, but wondering if I should do the transmission fluid as well.

Anything I might be missing here that I should look out for or anything I might be missing.

Thanks in advance
Someone asked a similar question earlier today. My response in that thread was basically, keep the oil full and clean and teach your daughter how to check it.

It’s good you did some basic maintenance on it and with routine maintenance you shouldn’t have any major issues.

I don’t think it’s necessary to change the transmission fluid at such low mileage. It should be changed around 60k miles. But if it makes you feel better you can do a drain and fill with the proper transmission fluid. (There’s YouTube videos on how.)

There’s a lot of information in the first generation sub forum that might be helpful to you too. Sounds like it will be a great car for your daughter!

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
434 Posts
I don’t think it’s necessary to change the transmission fluid at such low mileage. It should be changed around 60k miles.
I vote for change for it. Even though the miles are low, the fluid is approximately 9 years old plus/minus a few months (depending on the date of manufacture).

·
Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
126 Posts

Thanks in advance
you my friend have one of the best souls ever made....change the oil and your good for a 200,000mi

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
434 Posts
Personally with a car at that age I'd start the process of changing out all the fluids - so in additioin to the engine oil which you've done I'd do
  • brake fluid
  • transmission fluid
  • coolant
That way the car, fluid-wise, is new for your daughter.

How old is the battery - often a date sticker on the battery? Maybe get it tested to see what the state of health (SOH) is.

Also I'd look into replacing all the tires assuming they are original to the car. Even though the miles are low and the tread looks fine, tires age out due to time. Depending on the vehicle date of manufacture those tires are approximately 9 years old - date code may be on tire sidewall.

I don't drive a lot (<7k/yr) so I'll likely be changing my tires out due to age and not mileage/wear (based on the expected treadlife of 65k miles). Or maybe sooner because I'm so tempted to try All Weather (3Peak rated) tires versus the All Season tires I currently have.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
#1, 2, and 3: keep the oil full, use synthetic oil, and don't use cheap gas. You will eventually burn oil but I think you can delay the inevitable if you do those things. GDI engines will eventually eat oil, and sooner than later if you use crappy oil and gasoline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. We plan on replacing tires and battery this weekend already as I think everything is OEM. Looking into fluid changes too. I'd like to do the transmission fluid myself but it appears Kia decided to make it a pain in the "arse" getting to everything from videos online, so I am looking into that one.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Thanks for all the info. We plan on replacing tires and battery this weekend already as I think everything is OEM. Looking into fluid changes too. I'd like to do the transmission fluid myself but it appears Kia decided to make it a pain in the "arse" getting to everything from videos online, so I am looking into that one.
I wouldn't worry too much about doing the transmission fluid at 24k miles. Unless your Aunt was the Little Old Lady from Pasadena, I doubt she drove it hard enough to wear out the fluid. There's a plug you can pull to check the fluid but you'll need to have the car in the air. My 2012 automatic that my wife drives has the original fluid in it, no problems and I bought it new in 2012.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts