Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This is the key for the steering wheel lock. Both sides of the key are the same. I have never seen a key like it.
Wood Tool Everyday carry Household hardware Fashion accessory

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is the key for the steering wheel lock. Both sides of the key are the same. I have never seen a key like it.
View attachment 138688
That is a laser-cut key, aka sidewinder or internal key. It requires specialized equipment to duplicate possesed by locksmiths. If it were a car key, you could go to a dealer as they have duplicating equipment. So it mades the lock more secure.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It's really simple, to turn that key into a Master Key. I did that with many of the older "Warded" locks from yesteryear. To "Pick" it, without the key, oh, maybe two or three minutes. I've not picked any lock in well over 30 years.

I used to have a collection of OLD locks, that were stolen from me, along with a lot of other Keepsakes.
And Keys too.

The padlock in that picture, isn't much for security, but it's definitely an Antique.

I did stop by our local Locksmith Shop today, and asked if they could make me a flat key that would open my car, and start the engine. They did have a blank, but it was not "Flat". It had a plastic cover over the handle end, making it too bulky to fit comfortably in a wallet. I got a quote of $45 for that key. I passed!
I had a nice chat with the locksmith, about our early years 'Locksmithing'.
And he confirmed to me what the tool is that can cut one of our "Sidewinder" keys. (that's what the smithies call them)
It's a 1/8" end mill. Any machinist would understand what that is.
I figured it has to be something like that. Although I did not buy a new key, I did enjoy my time with the Locksmith.

Cheers mates! Wishing y'all a really great 2022.

:cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So, because this is a 'sidewinder" key, does this mean that my steering wheel lock is any good?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It should be just fine. Just don't loose the key.

I was in your area today. I visited both Cody's Roadhouses at Brownwood, and Lake Sumpter Landing.
My total mileage for the day was 95.4 and my best MPG for the day was 42.4.
It was truly a Good Day. Boy, were the Golf Carts out in full force today!!!
Cheers!

·
Registered
301 Posts
So, because this is a 'sidewinder" key, does this mean that my steering wheel lock is any good?
It's more secure since it's harder to pick, so it should work well keeping thieves away. Be sure you have a spare key in a safe place because if lost, grinding that lock off will be a major endeavor. And be sure to use some lock lubricant on it now and repeat in the spring and fall yearly to keep the internals working smoothly. If it ever fails to open or something got into it (a mean thief puts superglue in it - OUCH!), you'll be back to the grinding routine.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
278 Posts
Very good skill. You'd enjoy the YouTube "lockpickinglawyer." He has quite a portfolio of very difficult, and some very easy (but not known to an ordinary person) locks he opens. Check him out. In the meantime, how long for you to pick the lock in the pic below? :D View attachment 138685
Or this one:
Wood Material property Household hardware Metal Rectangle

Wood Trigger Gas Air gun Metal

My only problem with using this is that I have "mislaid" my spare key... :cautious:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Seems like everyone has an old rusty padlock laying around. Eh? Great pic's.

Locks, in general, are very interesting things, but, locks are only meant to keep the Honest Person honest.
The real crook will find a way around them.
With the new battery powered cut off tools and chain saws, nothing is safe!

I have to smile, just a little, when I remember a jewelry store robbery in my home town, years ago.
"When the police responded to an alarm, they found the Steel, multiple-locked, back door, laying in the parking lot, along with the entire door frame, and the Huge Double-door Jewel Safe was GONE! I'm thinking the master key, for that job, was a heavy duty Wrecker. Eh?
For every lock, there is a counter.

Cheers Mates. Y'all have a great 2022 now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It should be just fine. Just don't loose the key.

I was in your area today. I visited both Cody's Roadhouses at Brownwood, and Lake Sumpter Landing.
My total mileage for the day was 95.4 and my best MPG for the day was 42.4.
It was truly a Good Day. Boy, were the Golf Carts out in full force today!!!
Cheers!
Keep your eyes on Jem 2. Lots of car thieves in FL. You wouldn't to be Jemless would you??

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
That is a laser-cut key, aka sidewinder or internal key. It requires specialized equipment to duplicate possesed by locksmiths. If it were a car key, you could go to a dealer as they have duplicating equipment. So it mades the lock more secure.
I had a 2007 Aprilia motorcycle with a key like that, but the "carving" was more complex.
It came with 1 working key and a blank that needed cutting. The first 2 or 3 shops said they could not do it.
The last one said we can cut it, $50! Kind of shocking but I said, do it. It still had to be programmed. :rolleyes:

If it was a duplicate key for say, a 98 Corolla, no chip or anything, I got one made at Lowes for $3.26 OTD yesterday.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
454 Posts
...so I purchased one of these on Amazon hoping it may protect my Soul from car thieves. ...

View attachment 138607
For quite a while, off and on, I had considered getting a steering wheel lock for my Kia Soul, but remained undecided.

After reading this thread I decided to purchased a combination style lock (like this) as I didn't want to deal with another key (I have too many keys already).

I'll play around with it this weekend and see what I think about it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
For quite a while, off and on, I had considered getting a steering wheel lock for my Kia Soul, but remained undecided.

After reading this thread I decided to purchased a combination style lock (like this) as I didn't want to deal with another key (I have too many keys already).

I'll play around with it this weekend and see what I think about it.
Don't forget the combination lol.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts