Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got gift cards at Christmas so I purchased one of these on Amazon hoping it may protect my Soul from car thieves. I don't know if it will prevent, but I hope so. What surprises me is how hefty it is.

Vehicle Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
The weak point on that device, and so many others is the Key-Lock. Any Key-Lock is subject to being picked, drilled, or otherwise defeated. (Back in the day, I was an amateur Locksmith.)

I'd think a better anti-theft device would be an ON-OFF switch in the ignition line. Then hide the switch somewhere inside the car, so even with the key in the ignition, the car would not start till the switch was thrown to the ON position. A workable switch can be found at any Auto Parts store, Cheap, and the installation would only take a few minutes.

Realizing how easy most home door locks are to pick, I removed the Key-Locks from my own front door and built an electronic door lock with a keyless Remote. I carry the remote on my Key Ring with my KIA Key-Fob.
It's battery backed up, so I can still get in my house, even under a total power outage.

Anything you do, will only keep the honest people honest, and maybe a few amateurs, but a real criminal will find a way. "Sorry Charley"!

Remember the movie, "Gone in sixty seconds".

:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The weak point on that device, and so many others is the Key-Lock. Any Key-Lock is subject to being picked, drilled, or otherwise defeated. (Back in the day, I was an amateur Locksmith.)

I'd think a better anti-theft device would be an ON-OFF switch in the ignition line. Then hide the switch somewhere inside the car, so even with the key in the ignition, the car would not start till the switch was thrown to the ON position. A workable switch can be found at any Auto Parts store, Cheap, and the installation would only take a few minutes.

Realizing how easy most home door locks are to pick, I removed the Key-Locks from my own front door and built an electronic door lock with a keyless Remote. I carry the remote on my Key Ring with my KIA Key-Fob.
It's battery backed up, so I can still get in my house, even under a total power outage.

Anything you do, will only keep the honest people honest, and maybe a few amateurs, but a real criminal will find a way. "Sorry Charley"!

Remember the movie, "Gone in sixty seconds".

:cool:
Yup this is what I did before I discovered the trick of moving to an area where crime is almost non existent.

Especially if your car has a smart key with push button start. Those systems can be bypassed with the proper tools. Or so I've heard. If there physically is no power going to the car from the battery, the thief is likely to give up and move on because that car ain't gonna start!

Also having a manual transmission has proved to be a great anti theft device but kia has removed that feature from the soul 😔

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every lock can be defeated. I'm just hoping the amateur thief will move on to an easier target. I think cars like the Soul are stolen not by pro's but by young punks.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Just leave your car where I can find it, and I can steal it.
Remember the Movie, "Gone in 60 Seconds".

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
You've said some pretty dumb things, but that takes the cake.
Any day that you think you can outdrive me, jump up and try.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I don't belittle anyone...I just respond to those who insult me. And speaking of belittling, that's about all you do on this forum. I've never seen you help anyone.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Every lock can be defeated. I'm just hoping the amateur thief will move on to an easier target. I think cars like the Soul are stolen not by pro's but by young punks.
So it's better than nothing and makes you happy. Be sure to apply a lock-lubricant to the lock so it will last longer. And be sure you have extra keys at home and one stored in the trunk. If you lose your's while away from home, you can still get a locksmith to open it and then retrieve your extra one and continue on your way.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Just a little side story:

As a youngster, I wanted to become a licensed and certified Locksmith. I spent hours, practicing to pick various locks. When I worked at NCR, I was the only one in the office, who could pick the locks on NCR Cash Registers.

The 'Chicago Lock Co.' made a lock that they sold to vending machine Co's. It was called the "Nix-Pix".
Household hardware Metal Auto part Cylinder Bronze

Instead of tumblers, or wafers, it used 8 little pins, that had to be depressed to certain depths, in order to unlock the lock. The name was a challenge to me. I found that I could pick that lock in less than a minute.
It's been many years now, since I've had to pick a lock, but I still believe that any Key Lock is pickable or at least defeatable.
Thanks for listening, as I trek down memory lane. It's been fun!

Here's wishing y'all a very good 2022.
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just a little side story:

As a youngster, I wanted to become a licensed and certified Locksmith. I spent hours, practicing to pick various locks. When I worked at NCR, I was the only one in the office, who could pick the locks on NCR Cash Registers.

The 'Chicago Lock Co.' made a lock that they sold to vending machine Co's. It was called the "Nix-Pix".
View attachment 138681
Instead of tumblers, or wafers, it used 8 little pins, that had to be depressed to certain depths, in order to unlock the lock. The name was a challenge to me. I found that I could pick that lock in less than a minute.
It's been many years now, since I've had to pick a lock, but I still believe that any Key Lock is pickable or at least defeatable.
Thanks for listening, as I trek down memory lane. It's been fun!

Here's wishing y'all a very good 2022.
FLH :cool:
Very good skill. You'd enjoy the YouTube "lockpickinglawyer." He has quite a portfolio of very difficult, and some very easy (but not known to an ordinary person) locks he opens. Check him out. In the meantime, how long for you to pick the lock in the pic below? :D
Bicycle part Font Gas Metal Auto part

1 - 20 of 35 Posts