Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have 90K on the ODO on my 2014 Soul with the 2.0. I am the second owner and it was a certified pre owned when I purchased it so I assumed the power train warranty carried over to me fully.

Lets start with the details. I started noticing oil consumption at about 80K on the engine slow at first and now, at about 91K, it is consuming about 1 quart per 1000 miles. Dealer did the oil consumption test, and confirmed that it has used 1.3 quarts in the 1046 miles I drove it. My Soul has always been maintain at the Kia dealer so they were able to verify all oil changes were done in the correct time, all recalls done on time etc., so all that is kosher. I do not even notice a loss in performance or increase / decrease in fuel consumption, it has always done 27-30mpg depending on how I drive.

The problem now is, since it was a certified pre-owned and I am not the original owner, oil consumption is now covered with the CPO warranty so I am pretty much on my own. Here is the big question, should I bail on the car while it still has some value left in it or should I try and get this fixed? I did read that some bad PVC valves can cause oil consumption but not sure how well the catalytic converter will deal with a quart or so every 1000 miles going though it.

For those that have gone thought his, what are my realistic options, short of getting a new engine and swapping it in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
So, I have 90K on the ODO on my 2014 Soul with the 2.0. I am the second owner and it was a certified pre owned when I purchased it so I assumed the power train warranty carried over to me fully.

Lets start with the details. I started noticing oil consumption at about 80K on the engine slow at first and now, at about 91K, it is consuming about 1 quart per 1000 miles. Dealer did the oil consumption test, and confirmed that it has used 1.3 quarts in the 1046 miles I drove it. My Soul has always been maintain at the Kia dealer so they were able to verify all oil changes were done in the correct time, all recalls done on time etc., so all that is kosher. I do not even notice a loss in performance or increase / decrease in fuel consumption, it has always done 27-30mpg depending on how I drive.

The problem now is, since it was a certified pre-owned and I am not the original owner, oil consumption is now covered with the CPO warranty so I am pretty much on my own. Here is the big question, should I bail on the car while it still has some value left in it or should I try and get this fixed? I did read that some bad PVC valves can cause oil consumption but not sure how well the catalytic converter will deal with a quart or so every 1000 miles going though it.

For those that have gone thought his, what are my realistic options, short of getting a new engine and swapping it in?

Thanks!
Depends on how long you usually keep your cars. If you drive them into the ground, like I do, then you just keep an eye on the oil, use a heavier grade (30w instead of 20) and just keep driving. Mine has been eating oil for the last 60k miles and about 3 years and at 180k+ miles is just starting to throw persistent CELs. I bought mine new 9+ years ago and it always had synthetic oil changes on time.

If you like to change cars every 2-3 years, if you can get a good price from a dealer (or private, but it would be dishonest to not disclose the oil burning), I see no point in keeping up with the oil levels that hard. Low oil is catastrophic to all engines, but especially this one since capacity is already so low (less than 4 quarts).

·
Registered
765 Posts
..... Here is the big question, should I bail on the car while it still has some value left in it or should I try and get this fixed? ......
It depends on your preferences. The motor is GDI. That can cause some additional maintenance challenges. It all depends on how pro-active you want to be because your dealership is not entirely on top of this.

GDI = gasoline direct injection

So if automobile maintenance and the time spent learning is not your thing, then yes, sell it now and get a new vehicle. One thing for certain is that you Sir are starting with a lot more understanding than most who arrive here complaining of oil loss. Cleaning or switching out the inexpensive PVC valve is a solid idea but not enough.

The economics are rather straightforward. If you are willing to put in some time and spend a little of your own money up front, over the long run you will save money. That said, lots of folks these days have busy chaotic busy lives and lots of other real tangible priorities so that may not be the ideal route in your particular situation.

You might want to start by reading this admittedly long and detailed thread:

How to prevent oil and power loss in a Kia Soul GDI engine

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm with Sonic, I think you should be covered (plus I thought the warranty got extended to 150,000 for everyone with the last recall?). At least that's the way I understood it when I purchased my CPO soul. I'm in the same boat and will probably end up going to the dealer to do an oil consumption test in the near future since I've been using more and more oil (although I noticed minimal oil usage at around 60k and now I'm at 84k using about 3/4qt per 1,000miles). My cat clogged up right after 80k miles, so I'd imagine yours would be getting towards that point as well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bail out ASAP. Trade-in using the same dealership and no dishonesty enters your conscience. If you keep it, odds are your catalytic converter will fail shortly after the 100k warranty on it expires. That repair cost puts many Kias and Hyundais in the junkyard-graveyard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts