Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always work on my own stuff, including stuff as involved as engine removal. When i got the Soul though, I wanted a car for my wife that I did not have to work on in ANY way. We had old Volvos for a long time that always needed something, whether it was little or big. My own diesel truck is completely maintained and repaired (when needed) by me. We live an hour form the nearest town, and as a result, we are not close to an oil change place. I decided to go ahead and just do it myself and save ten bucks because now I have a full shop and the space/time to do it. The last oil change place we used was states away.

Anyways, I have been getting the blinking oil light at idle for the last month or so. I did some research and found out it was most likely the oil pressure sensor, so I ordered a new one from Kia. It was full of oil, but I also noticed it had been a little more sluggish than normal and had a tiny bit of valve train noise. I decided to change the oil and at least get that done since it was at 5k. I'll spare all the details, but I got a Bosch filter and 5w-20 Castrol oil. I crawl under there and take a look and notice right away that the oil filter seems smaller than the one I bought. I got it off of there and it is almost half the size of the Bosch!! I am thinking I bought the wrong filter, but I also noticed quite a bit of the filter base was showing around the old filter. So, one of two things happened. Either they used a filter for the 1.6 engine and not the 2.0 that we have, or they have REALLY cheap filters at the last place that changed it. So, yet another good reason to work on your own stuff and make sure you have the right equipment. Since I changed the oil/filter, I have had no filter light and the car is much quieter and even quicker. When your wife notice those things, something was definitely wrong. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hi bb, since it has been well established that most Souls are owned by old folks in Florida, working on your own car is going to be a tough sell, unless there is a full medical team on standby.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,544 Posts
Hi bb, since it has been well established that most Souls are owned by old folks in Florida, working on your own car is going to be a tough sell, unless there is a full medical team on standby.
This old timer found an easier way to get at that dang oil filter.

maxresdefault.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! I really did laugh at this. You are probably right. At least they can get educated enough to say, "hey make sure you put the correct oil filter on it". I should have, but just never even thought about it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I hate oil change places but sometimes they are so easy. My problem here is they seemed to be staffed by people who you never see in a real mechanic shop. I just don't trust them.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,544 Posts
I hate oil change places but sometimes they are so easy. My problem here is they seemed to be staffed by people who you never see in a real mechanic shop. I just don't trust them.
An old boss of mine used to say this all the time Joe: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym. Those who can't teach gym, do oil changes."

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I come here each day hoping for a new oil thread I can post in. Rarely am I disappointed.. :Yay:

I go to one that uses genuine Kia filters (I have posted about this before Mobile One Express) because they agree with KIA too much risk using aftermarket including their own. That said if I went somewhere else I would provide them with the correct one. But generally I don't agree people should change their own oil. To easy for spills, not disposing of correctly, etc. Too easy to put off, put off again. In the community I live in Florida we are prohibited from changing oil, car repairs much beyond lights. In Ct no such prohibition but laws of course on disposing of oil, not free costs $10 for up to 5qts.
If you have the place, time, correct tools I can see that as long ago I changed my own with those circumstances.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Ya, if I have to take my car anywhere but a dealership there is a filter and oil sitting on the front seat waiting for them.
With torque specs for the oil pan plug, a new oil pan plug gasket, and exactly how many litres of oil to put in!

(former KIA service tech - 6 years - I'm fussy about my vehicles)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I only take my Kia Soul to the one place in the world where I am 100% sure that my car will get a Genuine Kia Oil Filter and top quality oil. And I don't have to drive far at all to get the Top'O'The'Line service.
And all the work will be done by a guy who is Super Critical about all the little details, like the Torque Spec on the filter and drain plug.

The old timers here already know who and where I'm talking about. lol

After 63k Oil Change.jpg

Yup, the Oil Change Technician is ME, and the place is my back yard, on my permanent concrete ramps. I just did my 66K oil change last Friday.
It's so simple, on the Soul, that it's foolish to pay someone else to do it, and possibly screw it up. So DIY, and if it's not right, you have only one person to blame.

Oh, and the 1.6L and 2.0L take the same Kia Filter. Every dealer has them on the shelf, and they're only about six bucks ($6).
A Kia Filter.JPG
Most reputable Kia Dealers, will GIVE you a new crush washer with every Kia filter. Citrus Kia in Crystal River, FL, does!

On person asked me one day, , , "at your age (75) you get under your car and change your own oil?" And I responded, "Oh heck yes. I can fall down there, but it's getting up that takes a bit longer!" lol So I try to make sure that when I finally get down there, I have all the things I'm going to need to do the job right. Things go a lot quicker that way. :)

This last oil change morphed into a Hand Wash + Full Detail,
and repaint of my Steel Wheels. After four years they were looking pretty grungy!
NastyWheel.jpg
Grungy wheels!

AfterPaint.jpg
Repainted Wheels!

Now she's good for another four years. :)

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I only take my Kia Soul to the one place in the world where I am 100% sure that my car will get a Genuine Kia Oil Filter and top quality oil. And I don't have to drive far at all to get the Top'O'The'Line service.
And all the work will be done by a guy who is Super Critical about all the little details, like the Torque Spec on the filter and drain plug.

The old timers here already know who and where I'm talking about. lol

View attachment 115106

Yup, the Oil Change Technician is ME, and the place is my back yard, on my permanent concrete ramps. I just did my 66K oil change last Friday.
It's so simple, on the Soul, that it's foolish to pay someone else to do it, and possibly screw it up. So DIY, and if it's not right, you have only one person to blame.

Oh, and the 1.6L and 2.0L take the same Kia Filter. Every dealer has them on the shelf, and they're only about six bucks ($6).
View attachment 115114
Most reputable Kia Dealers, will GIVE you a new crush washer with every Kia filter. Citrus Kia in Crystal River, FL, does!

On person asked me one day, , , "at your age (75) you get under your car and change your own oil?" And I responded, "Oh heck yes. I can fall down there, but it's getting up that takes a bit longer!" lol So I try to make sure that when I finally get down there, I have all the things I'm going to need to do the job right. Things go a lot quicker that way. :)

This last oil change morphed into a Hand Wash + Full Detail,
and repaint of my Steel Wheels. After four years they were looking pretty grungy!
View attachment 115122
Grungy wheels!

View attachment 115130
Repainted Wheels!

Now she's good for another four years. :)

Cheers Mates!
:cool:
It's the little things... right. It's why we all love you FL. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts