Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

New to the Soulmobile as y'all know, so please bear with me.

I did a forum search and didn't find anything quite matching my specific problem - near to it, but not quite.

When leaving work last night, I noticed after I put it in gear to back out of the parking spot, I didn't have to use the gas at all to get out of the spot. (level spot, btw)
When I got on the (lightly traveled) level road to our work's driveway, I made sure to come to a complete stop, then I let off the brake pedal. The car started moving forward and got up to about 5MPH. At a full stop, the idle seems to run higher than it should. (Yes, the cruise control was disengaged and off)

BTW, my last car had this problem too, only worse. My 04 Pontiac (also an auto) had it so bad it would keep climbing til it got to the last speed set by the CC, so I was able to trace the initial cause to something faulty with the Cruise Control. (If I put it in neutral at a stoplight, the revs kicked up into the redline.) I had to bear down on the brake pedal to stop at lights and signs, and it basically meant I couldn't ever use the CC again :'(

A) Has anyone experienced this *same* problem with the Soul?
B) Is this something I should be worried about?
C) Is this likely covered under a B2B warranty?

I do a LOT of highway driving, (and as I infer from the condition of the car and mileage, so did the previous owner) and I need the Cruise Control to *not* cause issues with normal city driving. I only want to use the Cruise during non-peak hours and only when I'm going 30+ miles on the same stretch.

Any advice?

--ElectroDFW--
aka The Other David

PS: Last week I had it in to the dealership to change the battery and I had them check for the brake light switch recall notice and check the entire electrical system. Got the new batt installed and they said my car wasn't one of the switch recall ones and no other problems found.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Vehicles with auto trannies do have a little power to the wheels and will move slowly with foot off the gas. Idle should be about 750. What's cool is on a steep hill these don't creep backwards!
That creeping drove a friend of mine crazy on her Honda Civic...got rid of it and got a MT Civic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vehicles with auto trannies do have a little power to the wheels and will move slowly with foot off the gas. Idle should be about 750. What's cool is on a steep hill these don't creep backwards!
That creeping drove a friend of mine crazy on her Honda Civic...got rid of it and got a MT Civic.
Yes, great for those living in hilly areas...such as SanFran. Not so much for prairie dwellers here in Texas.

I see this as a safety issue... A car when at idle will drive forward 5-10MPH means a longer stopping distance and greater wear and tear on the brakes leading to premature brake failure.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Not sure about your problem specifically but most automatics that I have had creep when in drive and the brake is taken off. Not sure about the 5 MPH, seems high to me, mine usually would get up to about 2 MPH. Sounds as if the idle is perhaps out of wack but not sure how to check that on your car.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
All but the heaviest Detroit Iron, will move out on their own when put into gear.
I've had a bunch of small cars and every one of them will take off on their own when I put them in gear.
So. don't put your car in Drive if you're not ready to 'Drive'.
My last three cars were exactly the same, and they were Suzukis.

My little Gertrude will leave the driveway and go off down the road when I put her in Drive, without me ever having to touch the GO Pedal. She's like a race horse.... open the gate and she's GONE! It's just the nature of the beast. Don't fret it!

As far as preventing back-creep on hills? That's what the brake pedal is for. :)

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

Reactions: dmwagner

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I guess I'm just Old School and a little bit paranoid, about slipping back into someone, so when I stop on any kind of a hill, and yes, we do have a few of those around here, I plant my 11.5 firmly on the brake pedal till I'm ready to proceed.

I grew up in a River City with lots O hills and also worked many years in another River City with some really nasty hills, so stopping and then going again on a hill is no big deal to me. It's sure a lot easier and safer with an AT than it is with an MT though.

But back on topic..... in almost every car with an AT, the transmission does not disengage when you come to a stop, whether on a hill or not. Only on a car with an MT, when you push the clutch in, the engine and tranny do disengage.

It's just basic mechanics 101. I'm actually surprised it was even mentioned here.
I'd of thought in this day and age, that every licensed driver would know that.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC) is what they call the anti-roll back into the jerk tail gaiter behind you. I would always allow a vehicle space to roll back on a hill when they were stopped knowing they might roll back quite a bit. Nowadays I suspect most MT have the hill assist built in but I still allow lots of room on the older vehicles...like half a car length. Newer ones just 5 feet or so.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Good Advise! Leaving space between you and the vehicle in front of you on a hill, is SOP.
But then there's always the jerkwad that pulls right up behind you. If you roll back any at all you'll bang into them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All but the heaviest Detroit Iron, will move out on their own when put into gear.
I've had a bunch of small cars and every one of them will take off on their own when I put them in gear.
So. don't put your car in Drive if you're not ready to 'Drive'.
My last three cars were exactly the same, and they were Suzukis.

My little Gertrude will leave the driveway and go off down the road when I put her in Drive, without me ever having to touch the GO Pedal. She's like a race horse.... open the gate and she's GONE! It's just the nature of the beast. Don't fret it!

As far as preventing back-creep on hills? That's what the brake pedal is for. :)

Cheers Mates!
Correct, I keep it in 'Park' until I'm ready to start moving. *However* I would like to be the one to tell my car when to move once it's out of Park.
I pull in to the curb at work, and have to back out each night. This 'self-driving' happens even in Reverse.

And finally, I checked, and at cold start it idles just above 1500rpm, and after the half-hour drive home, it idles at just over 500. So that's part of the issue I suppose.

Regards,
--DavidM--

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's just basic mechanics 101. I'm actually surprised it was even mentioned here.
I'd of thought in this day and age, that every licensed driver would know that.

Happy Motoring!

In this day and age, unless it's specifically requested, most driving schools don't even teach driving on a stick.
And given the increasing number of idjits on the road "in this day and age", most licensed drivers barely know the *rules* of the road, let alone how their car *works*.

And finally, basic mechanics to me means:
GAS = GO
BRAKE = STOP
NO GAS = NO GO

not

GAS = GO
BRAKE = STOP
NO GAS = a little bit of GO

basically.

Regards,
--DavidM--

apologies for any attitude inferred from my responses. it is purely unintentional.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
...And finally, I checked, and at cold start it idles just above 1500rpm, and after the half-hour drive home, it idles at just over 500. So that's part of the issue I suppose...
Yup, that does have an effect. I have had cars that when cold idle on start up made me press down on the pedal quite a bit to keep them from moving. Your RPMs though don't sound out of line with my experience.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Correct, I keep it in 'Park' until I'm ready to start moving. *However* I would like to be the one to tell my car when to move once it's out of Park.
I pull in to the curb at work, and have to back out each night. This 'self-driving' happens even in Reverse.
The Torque converter is what makes this happen

About all you could do it trade it in for a manual, since all automatics will have torque converter.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Neat pic!

Not since the old Buick with the Slush Box transmission, have we had to stomp the GO pedal to get out cars moving.

Every car I've had since 2000 (4 with AT's) has had the same eagerness to GO when put in gear. Some, more than others.

I've just gotten so used to keeping my foot on the brake pedal when I put a car (any car) into gear, it's just become automatic.
I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I would check with a mechanic on your idle RPM. 1500 sounds high to me. I would expect 1000 to be more like it with a cold engine.
not really all depends on the outside temperature, mine gets that high at times when its very cold and starts dropping back quite quickly in stages.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When you're foot isn't on the break, you are telling the car you are going to go. Break means stop. No break means go. Gas means go faster.

Your car is working as it should (and your idles seem perfectly fine).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay then, since everybody seems to be in agreement that this should not be a concern, I will defer to your experiences and not worry about it (unless it becomes much more pronounced).

Thank you all for your insight and data. There's a lot of cumulative knowledge on here, and I'm glad y'all have shared some of it with me.

Regards,
--Electro--
aka The Other David

1 - 20 of 20 Posts