Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else had this problem? If so, please let me know so I can hopefully trace the source quicker. Thanks.

2013 Soul Base 1.6 with automatic. When under load (usually going uphill) at more than about 1/4 throttle, there is something vibrating/resonating under the hood at 2500 RPM. It is particularly annoying because that is right at about 65 MPH. This means when I am on the interstate or divided highway, every uphill is met with HUMMMMMMMM unless I downshift or speed up/slow down. Since it only happens at 2500 RPM, I'm guessing there is a plastic panel or cover that resonates at that particular frequency. It sounds like a kid's rice-burner with a coffee-can muffler/tailpipe, though not quite as loud. Still loud enough to be quite annoying, though.

It does not do it at steady speed on level ground. It happens only right at 2500 RPM on the tach. Only under load, like uphill or quick acceleration. If it is a gently uphill grade, it will not do it if I am light on the throttle. However I can make it go on and off by "playing" the gas pedal. It does not do it when parked and revved. That makes it hard to track down.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Only when under load... that's interesting. Something in the induction system, perhaps? Or maybe a motor / transaxle mount that's on its way out?

If you know a mechanic who has a dyno, maybe you can duplicate it in the shop while someone looks and listens under the hood.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Pnoman my diesel drops gears quickly and at 65mph on any sort of incline would swiftly drop to 5th keeping engine in sweet spot. Using ECO has a bad effect on engine response and gear change so I rarely use it.
I would think the 1.6 petrol would require more revs. as lower torque. but maybe others with petrol will advise.
I would think Richard is right about intake and would carefully check as the engine is under a lot of torque at 65mph at 2.5k revs.

Jeff

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
......as the engine is under a lot of torque at 65mph at 2.5k revs.

Jeff
Yes, I agree. I should have clarified that I am not holding the trans in 6th, but rather the vibration happens even if the incline is not enough to warrant an automatic downshift. It's not enough of a load to be considered "lugging" (or the trans would have downshifted). At lower speeds, the resonance will occur most often in 3rd thru 6th gear right at 2500 RPM in each gear. So, even going up a moderate incline in a lower gear at, say, 35 - 40 MPH it will still make the noise at 2500 RPM.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yes, I agree. I should have clarified that I am not holding the trans in 6th, but rather the vibration happens even if the incline is not enough to warrant an automatic downshift. It's not enough of a load to be considered "lugging" (or the trans would have downshifted). At lower speeds, the resonance will occur most often in 3rd thru 6th gear right at 2500 RPM in each gear. So, even going up a moderate incline in a lower gear at, say, 35 - 40 MPH it will still make the noise at 2500 RPM.
Sounding more and more like worn motor mounts. This is not Soul-specific, but I've found vibration at a certain RPM range when under load to be one of the early signs of worn mounts, especially on transverse engines.

But it could be other things. Many, many loose parts can resonate at a particular frequency. Most of them would resonate regardless of whether the engine was under load, however.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you have a torque wrench, you can try torquing down all the mount fasteners. A diagram is attached with the torque values.

mount-torque.jpg

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Other resonance vibrations encountered were heat Sheilds and loose CAT mounts. The intake PCV valve can some times bounce. and over tightened belt can cause alternator bearing to moan.
Under load and accelerating at 2.5k would expect to be related to intake side

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts