Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2.0L 2014 KIA Soul. When I stop at red lights, I notice when idling the car tends to "putt" from time to time. Is the timing belt off? I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe i should take it to the dealership to look at it.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
it has a timing chain, no belts with that engine since the 2012 model came out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have the 2.0L 2014 KIA Soul. When I stop at red lights, I notice when idling the car tends to "putt" from time to time. Is the timing belt off? I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe i should take it to the dealership to look at it.
If your AC or your defroster is on, you will definitely get this uneven combustion as your compressor cycles on and off. I want to say I do notice it on our 2014+ as well when idling even when the AC or defroster are not "in play". Sometimes it "misses", but not usually too extremely. I usually chalk it up to imperfect combustion but I've rarely seen cars purr perfectly when idling as most will putt occasionally. I'd recommend posting some video w/audio when it happens.
Greg

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,527 Posts
Beretta, If the timing chain was off trust me, your engine would not be running at all. If the putt putt isn't bad (like do you feel the engine is going to die?), I would just bring the issue up at your next service appointment, as "rough idle."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts