Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got a 2014+ with the new Android based navigation system. Really wanting to find more information on this unit and it's pretty scarce cause it is new. Anyone know of any modifications possible with this system? Looking to tether my internet connection from my Android phone and side load apps for sure...but would love to see CyanogenMod (aftermarket Android firmware) running on my dash! Don't know if this is possible cause Kia may have locked this down really tightly but figured I'd ask the question ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
This might be very hard. Unless your a hardcore Android hacker then its not a problem. I personally think its locked down very good and the only way to hi-jack the system is through injecting a code to get to the core of 4.3 Jellybean (In which Im assuming its running).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This might be very hard. Unless your a hardcore Android hacker then its not a problem. I personally think its locked down very good and the only way to hi-jack the system is through injecting a code to get to the core of 4.3 Jellybean (In which Im assuming its running).
I believe it is running 2.3 but I have not been able to confirm. I don't think it will allow any sort of modification from the USB interface unless someone could build a script and there just isn't enough information on this yet (and hardly anyone has it). There is no native file explorer (at least not one that is accessible). Otherwise...you may have to physically get at the unit and I'm not knowledgeable enough or brave enough to do it LOL. The only files that are recognized from thea USB drive are .mp3 and image files (I need to see if animated .gif files are supported cause that would be cool). If they put this same unit into a lot of the '15 models then maybe it will have enough user base and get some developer support.

I called Kia and they just do not have any support info on this yet. "Updates are coming" is about the only thing they can say and I was on hold for over 15 minutes waiting for my rep to try and find additional information. I can play the waiting game but this thing just has too many cool and fun possibilities and it is driving me nuts not being able to do anything outside of what is in the manual...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hi all,

Got a 2014+ with the new Android based navigation system. Really wanting to find more information on this unit and it's pretty scarce cause it is new. Anyone know of any modifications possible with this system? Looking to tether my internet connection from my Android phone and side load apps for sure...but would love to see CyanogenMod (aftermarket Android firmware) running on my dash! Don't know if this is possible cause Kia may have locked this down really tightly but figured I'd ask the question ;)
I don't know if you saw my other thread, but there are screenshots and video on the web of the 2014 Soul running a web browser, presumably on preview models. I'm hoping a future update brings it back! They'll probably save it as a reason to get a 2015.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't have ever thought they would ditch Microsoft, but they did.

I wouldn't expect much in aftermarket roms. To load ROM's you need to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery image I.E. ClockworkMod or TWRP. Is anyway to connect the UVO to a PC/Mac to use adb to do that?

Kia has been on a tear this year, introducing seven revised vehicles to its lineup, and the most impressive of the lot is the 2014 Soul. The funky box on wheels, with a design Kia says was inspired by a hog wearing a backpack, has been completely revised for 2014. And as part of the revision, Kia has redesigned its UVO infotainment system, ditching its old Microsoft-based software on the higher-end models and replacing it with a new Android-based system.

Kia says the new version of UVO runs on an automotive-grade variation of Android Gingerbread. The system, Kia’s representatives said, had to be specifically designed to safely work in an auto without causing any driver distractions. The end result is an iteration of Android that provides users with increased functionality over earlier versions of UVO and full Web connectivity
One of the things that sucked about the old UVO was the bugs that never got fixed, version after version after version. I wonder who is KIA's software partner on this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if you saw my other thread, but there are screenshots and video on the web of the 2014 Soul running a web browser, presumably on preview models. I'm hoping a future update brings it back! They'll probably save it as a reason to get a 2015.
I saw that and was excited for it but when I saw it was missing off of the production models, I was hopeful it would make a return (along with other software). Why have a system that can run android apps if you don't allow apps to run. If you like limited app support...why move from Microsoft? If anyone is good at not having enough quality mobile apps...it's them!

Wow, I wouldn't have ever thought they would ditch Microsoft, but they did.

I wouldn't expect much in aftermarket roms. To load ROM's you need to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery image I.E. ClockworkMod or TWRP. Is anyway to connect the UVO to a PC/Mac to use adb to do that?

One of the things that sucked about the old UVO was the bugs that never got fixed, version after version after version. I wonder who is KIA's software partner on this.
Yeah, I figure ROMs are out of the question...but one can always hope :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
When I picked up my car yesterday, somewhere a long the way (I think it was when I registered on myuvo) it said "We're working hard on updates" or something like that. So let's continue to keep hope alive!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
When I picked up my car yesterday, somewhere a long the way (I think it was when I registered on myuvo) it said "We're working hard on updates" or something like that. So let's continue to keep hope alive!
UVO installed with the infinity radio, which you have, is significantly different that UVO in stand alone application. The version that you have is crippled as far as the eServices goes while the standalone version is not.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Having just bought a 14 Exclaim Whole Shebang with the Navigation I am pretty disappointed that the UVO sucks compared to the Exclaim base model that is $5,100 less than I paid. Kia has their heads somewhere where the sun doesn't shine it seems like. The absolute top of the line model should have ALL the bells and whistles not LESS! What are they thinking?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Having just bought a 14 Exclaim Whole Shebang with the Navigation I am pretty disappointed that the UVO sucks compared to the Exclaim base model that is $5,100 less than I paid. Kia has their heads somewhere where the sun doesn't shine it seems like. The absolute top of the line model should have ALL the bells and whistles not LESS! What are they thinking?
When they began the ads for this model year last September, the Kia site explained both versions and that they were identical. There was a write up talking about the MS system and the new and improved version of UVO. After awhile, during the time when the base models were out and the Exclaims were not yet on the market, they pulled all those sections from the web site an began putting in the disclaimer about the UVO system with the Infinity set up having a reduced eService capability. I know this sucks but it sounded to me as that the new version had failed to operate as originally thought. Just my 0.02 worth on the topic. I think they should have come clean about it, but there is hope that they will get it operational with updates. It is one of the contributing reasons why I would not want the infinity package in the car.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Looks like Kia is holding out on us and saving some goodies for 2015, at least according to the following:

As early as next year, the next generation multimedia suite is expected to arrive in the Kia 2015 models.
Included in the features will be the ability to download apps such as iHeart Radio and Soundhound, the latter of which is a music recognition service that takes in-car engagement to all new levels.
Also included will be Yelp, which is an app that helps users locate nearby restaurants and clubs, all of which have been rated by other users.
The UVO app store will help Kia owners fully customize their infotainment experience.
Kia At 2014 Consumer Electronics Show -CES | Kia Blog :: 2014 Kia News

I hope they show 2014 owners some love and upgrade our systems with these features eventually.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Looks like Kia is holding out on us and saving some goodies for 2015
I sincerely hope that Kia does not try to play games with this and ruin their customer service relations by withholding stuff from previous customers. Unsettling to say the least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts