Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new 2013 Soul + and I notice that the 6 speed auto shifts a lot more that other automatic transmissions I have ever had. When I accellerate from a stop, I keep my foot at a constant pressure and when the Soul feels even the slightest incline, it upshifts, even if it is in the middle of accelerating from a stop. I'm not sure if I am being overly critical here or if there is actually a problem with my Soul. Has anyone else had any experience with the Soul transmission being super sensitive like this?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I can tell you the more gears you have the more the vehicle will shift, the transmission is trying to keep the engine within a certain rpm range untill load increases on the engine and then it will adjust (down shift).
I doubt there is anything wrong with it unless it is constantly up and down shifting every few seconds.

I have a friend with a mitsubishi with the cvt transmission. It never shifts. It just keeps getting faster and the rpm holds relatively steady. For me its a strange feeling never feeling a shift change.

As you build speed on level ground your drag increases, and even holding steady rpm, it will downshift to compensate for the increased load on the engine.

Im sure someone else will chime in if my answer doesent help.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My experience from having a Soul for many, many months... I can tell you that it definitely is something they could work on.

It really depends on how hard you accelerate as well. Like if I accelerate normally, it's already in 4th gear by 30 MPH. The gears and automatic transmission definitely could use more sophistication.

One thing I do not like though is it revving up to a SCREAMING 3,500 rpm when going into high gear over a bridge... AND the Soul taking forever to go into the next gear when going over that long tall bridge I travel on everyday too. You basically have to hammer it down to the floor to "go with the traffic" because people are catching up behind you.

·
Registered
592 Posts
We just bought a 2013 Soul Base with automatic and I noticed mine was shifting more frequently than my last vehicle (a 4-spd auto minivan with V-6), but with the smaller 4-cyl, I thought it was normal. Certainly not excessive, but still fairly frequent shifts.

However, I was experimenting with the ECO button on the center console (near the radio) and found that it seems to "tame" the tranny down with fewer shifts. On the hilly roads around WV, it seems to hold each gear a little longer and isn't so quick to downshift with every little twitch of the right foot. Maybe it's just my imagination?? Try it and see. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,155 Posts
One thing I do not like though is it revving up to a SCREAMING 3,500 rpm when going into high gear over a bridge... AND the Soul taking forever to go into the next gear when going over that long tall bridge I travel on everyday too. You basically have to hammer it down to the floor to "go with the traffic" because people are catching up behind you.
3500 RPM isn't "screaming" - that's just a normal high shift (nothing wrong with that) , now 6500 would be :D Maybe in this situation try the manual shift see if that's better

·
Registered
6 Posts
With 6 forward gears on the manual version I'm also busier than I've ever been on the stick. At first it was hard to adjust to but a year and a few months later I barely notice....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
And I'll bet your left leg is much larger (more muscular) than your right leg. Eh?

My last car also had a small four cylinder engine, even though it was a 2.0L.
But it had only a four speed AT. The shift points were major events.
The AT never shifted without you knowing about it.

Enter the Soul, 1.6L engine with a six speed AT.
From STOP to GO, the little AT has to shift up five times. !!!
But, the gear ratios are so close together, you hardly even notice the change.

I never did like my neck snapping every time the AT shifted, on older cars with three or four speed AT's, so the smooth shifting AT in the Soul is a welcome change. Till you get used to the AT in the Soul, just leave the ECO OFF.
As I mentioned in another thread, the ECO drives me crazy sometimes, out on the highway, when it wants to shift back to 5th gear every time I put even a little pressure on the gas pedal. I generally just leave the ECO OFF when I'm out on the highway.

So, in short, get used to your new Soul with the ECO OFF, and only experiment with it ON after you've learned how the AT shifts in its Normal state.

Cheers Mate!
Tm :cool:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My experience from having a Soul for many, many months... I can tell you that it definitely is something they could work on.

It really depends on how hard you accelerate as well. Like if I accelerate normally, it's already in 4th gear by 30 MPH. The gears and automatic transmission definitely could use more sophistication.

3500 RPM is not screaming by any means. I regularly run my up to redline... I give it the wood, and the car's computer shifts the transmission appropriately.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are 6 gears, it's going to shift alot more than the old 4 speeds. It's not going to wait til you are doing 100mph for 6th. Have to remember, they are trying to save you gas and keep the RPM's as low as they can at all times. It was odd for me at first but I don't even notice it shifting. This tranny is so smooth, I don't even feel the up and down shifts unless i'm stepping on it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
We just got a new 2013 Soul + and I notice that the 6 speed auto shifts a lot more that other automatic transmissions I have ever had. When I accellerate from a stop, I keep my foot at a constant pressure and when the Soul feels even the slightest incline, it upshifts, even if it is in the middle of accelerating from a stop. I'm not sure if I am being overly critical here or if there is actually a problem with my Soul. Has anyone else had any experience with the Soul transmission being super sensitive like this?
Do you mean downshifts on an incline? Anyway, the purpose of the 6 speed tranny is to give the (relatively small) engine the chance to downshift as necessary without revving the heck out of it like it would if it were a 3 or 4 speed with more spread between the gear ratios. The 2.0 may have sufficient horsepower, but torque is lacking, thus the need for more gears and more downshifts under load.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much for everyone's reply! I didn't expect to open this thread to two pages of answers so that is so nice of all of you!

It sounds like everything is normal then and I just have to get used to the transmission. It doesn't shift too often where it creates a problem, I just wanted to make sure the sensitiveness of the transmission was not an error but it sounds like Kia is just trying to make a super smooth and gas efficient machine.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thank you so much for everyone's reply! I didn't expect to open this thread to two pages of answers so that is so nice of all of you!

It sounds like everything is normal then and I just have to get used to the transmission. It doesn't shift too often where it creates a problem, I just wanted to make sure the sensitiveness of the transmission was not an error but it sounds like Kia is just trying to make a super smooth and gas efficient machine.
You would be correct. It shifts alot but all normal. It's my first auto with anything more than a 4 speed. I knew what to expect but it is odd at first. I dont even notice it at all driving. My 4 speed auto's, I always knew when it was shifting. The tach would rise or drop drastically since there were only 4 gears. With 6, its very minimal with each shift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just bought a 2013 Soul Base with automatic and I noticed mine was shifting more frequently than my last vehicle (a 4-spd auto minivan with V-6), but with the smaller 4-cyl, I thought it was normal. Certainly not excessive, but still fairly frequent shifts.

However, I was experimenting with the ECO button on the center console (near the radio) and found that it seems to "tame" the tranny down with fewer shifts. On the hilly roads around WV, it seems to hold each gear a little longer and isn't so quick to downshift with every little twitch of the right foot. Maybe it's just my imagination?? Try it and see. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
Hi Llama, hopefully they figured it out. This thread is 7 years ago.

Reactions: Kerig3
1 - 16 of 16 Posts