Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

No matter what I have my controls on, the inside of the car fogs up. Whether the heat is on or off, whether the AC is on or off. It's not like temp controls are new to me, I've owned a car before. But my Soul is a mystery.

What could be going on?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Hi Milkshake.
Are your floor mats wet because of snow.
Check to see if it's wet on your floor under your mats as well.
Set your heater to Blow on the floor to dry it up.

ALSO, make sure that you are NOT on Recirculate. That would cause the fog as well

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Marc -

I'll try that, but this has been going on since I got my car, which was in June 2010. So I don't think it has a lot to do with the floor.

·
Registered
518 Posts
- Heater core leaks would cause this, does the interior smell of coolant (sweet smell?).

- Do you have vinyl seatcovers or anything else aftermarket vinyl that may be off-gassing in the interior? (cheap vinyl floor mats would do this).

- If the recirc is stuck "on" that'd be a cause too, and if stuck it wouldn't be something you can contol.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey Marc -

I'll try that, but this has been going on since I got my car, which was in June 2010. So I don't think it has a lot to do with the floor.
like Marc said, check to see if you have "recirc" mode on [green light is lid].

when you turn on defrost, it forces the circ mode on which clears the fogging on windows. my kids are swimmer and ice hockey players so whenever i have their gears in any of my vehicles, I will have to crack open my windows or have defroster running to prevent fogging inside the vehicles all year round.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yes, check the recirc, mine fogs unless recirc is off.

but... just a thought... have you verified the air that is blowing out? If a vent hose slipped off, or if the temp regulation is bad, maybe you will have problems. Also, I don't know, but assume that the fresh air/recirc function is regulated by a relay that opens the vents- maybe this is stuck?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
i think everyone has pretty much covered all the options or causes. What i will say is that if the AC is on, and the recirculate is off and temperature setting is roughly middle and the fogging up dosent clear - i would suggest you have the AC checked out - cos it should clear it in those conditions.

·
Registered
518 Posts
So...
1. Make sure recirc is off, and that the recirc hasn't stuck "on" while the indicator light is off (may be a service issue if stuck, or if a hose has slipped off and a vent/defrost isn't blowing properly).
2. Check for moisture in the interior
3. Use a/c to clear the windows, even in winter (defrost settings automatically turn a/c on)
4. Crack a window open if you need to vent moisture
5. If you have a sweet, antifreeze smell, you may have a heater core leak - which would cause windows to fog
6. Check interior for cheap vinyl floormats, seatcovers, tablecloths, etc, which can off-cas and fog the windows
7. Clean the windows with Windex or vinegar/water, to remove any residue which can cause water to condense more rapidly. This is especially important in newer cars, as the interior materials are new, and can off-gas "more" (the "new car smell").

Did I miss any?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So...
1. Make sure recirc is off, and that the recirc hasn't stuck "on" while the indicator light is off (may be a service issue if stuck, or if a hose has slipped off and a vent/defrost isn't blowing properly).
2. Check for moisture in the interior
3. Use a/c to clear the windows, even in winter (defrost settings automatically turn a/c on)
4. Crack a window open if you need to vent moisture
5. If you have a sweet, antifreeze smell, you may have a heater core leak - which would cause windows to fog
6. Check interior for cheap vinyl floormats, seatcovers, tablecloths, etc, which can off-cas and fog the windows
7. Clean the windows with Windex or vinegar/water, to remove any residue which can cause water to condense more rapidly. This is especially important in newer cars, as the interior materials are new, and can off-gas "more" (the "new car smell").

Did I miss any?
Hey Dixon - the recirc light is okay, no sweet smell...however, I do have cheap vinyl floormats. I wonder if they are the culprit! I bought and installed them the day I picked up my Soul. Hmmm.

I'll remove them and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the input! You guys rock.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drooling pets?
Drooling boyfriends?? ;)
I don't have either. :p

Funny thing: I haven't taken my dog (family dog, who lives with my parents) for a ride in my Soul -- ever. Me and him have had 13 happy years of car rides together, but I've been afraid to let him in the Soul because of what I've heard about the plastic scratching. I really miss taking him out for drives.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
just line the boot area with something padded!!.... you cant miss out on the dog rides..... he wont be around for ever. (i just got a new dog.... he is that tiny - he is going in a cat basket for rides now!!!....lol)

·
Registered
280 Posts
As mentioned by DixonL2 be sure to clean the glass completely. Don't just spray, wipe and forget. Be sure you completely dry the glass. After the windex evaporates I always take another wad of towels and wipe it all again.

Also if you are a smoker that would also cause some fogging up of the glass.

·
Registered
280 Posts
my kids are swimmer and ice hockey players so whenever i have their gears in any of my vehicles, I will have to crack open my windows or have defroster running to prevent fogging inside the vehicles all year round.
Ahh,,, the smell of Hockey bags in a closed up car.:eek: Nothing compares

·
Registered
124 Posts
my son was a goalie in high school, still play's men's leagues and coaches... I know what you mean! When I got my Soul, I gave him my Saturn, and in 1 week it was officially a stink mobile....

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
If the methods posted in previous posts does not work, try this.

Simply turn on the Air Conditioning, with the heat turned up. Yep, you heard that right. Have you ever noticed the water draining out from the bottom of your car in the summer after a drive in the heat, with the A/C on? That’s because one of the by-products of air conditioning, is condensation. Essentially, A/C lowers humidity (takes moisture out of the air.) By turning on the A/C, and turning the heat up, you will still get plenty of hot air (once the car is warm of course, as your heater’s output in most cases is much stronger than your A/C’s ability to cool) and the A/C will dry the air inside the car, making it less possible for fog to form on the windows. If you’re still not convined, get this: in most late model cars with A/C, when you press or select “defrost” also turn on the A/C at the same time, for this very same reason.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts