Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual for my 2013 Base Soul says to remove the radio antenna before going through a car wash. So I did. I noticed, though, that the radio still worked OK without the antenna at all, at least for the local station I listen to mostly. So, what I'm thinking about is replacing the stock antenna with one of the short, stubby aftermarket antennas, and storing the stock one for use on road trips.

Has anyone done this, and how is it working for you?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
yes this has been done.
do a quick forum search for antennas.

quite simple mod from what I've seen.

[sent from the squat rack...]

·
Registered
597 Posts
I changed my antenna to a short one. The factory one just unscrews from its base, and the new one screws in. I got mine from pep boys, and it came with several different adapters so there is sure to be something that fits.

The Autoguide app did this....

·
Registered
192 Posts
I used to use a short antenna but found that you cannot bring in any quality AM signals. It must be that the long OEM antenna is designed for AM reception. I put the OEM back on. If you do not listen to AM I guess the stubbies work fine.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I replaced mine with a shark fin antenna. Looks a lot better, in my opinion, and I still get great reception. It has a coiled wire inside and just plugs into the existing antenna hole.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought that antenna was only for SiriusXM, so I threw it into the glove box.

Boy was I wrong....antenna is back in it's proper place. :stupid

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I cut my antenna off at 3.5 inches with a hacksaw, smoothed the end up with an xacto knife and sandpaper and plastidipped it. Looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I swapped out the stock antenna with a longer one from a 2011 Sorrento. Dunno if it helps any better, but I like the looks of it more.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I thought that antenna was only for SiriusXM, so I threw it into the glove box.

Boy was I wrong....antenna is back in it's proper place. :stupid
Yep, the mast is for am/fm and the sat antenna is built into the base.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ask any Electronics Engineer or Ham Radio operator, how the size of the antenna relates to signal reception.
(you don't have to take it from me)

The rule of thumb is....the bigger the antenna, the better the reception.

I used to put up CB Radio antennas for people when I lived in Illinois.

A simple vertical mast will work for CB Radio, but it's fairly short range.

To really get "Out There", you need a much larger antenna.

I installed a lot of BIG Beam Antennas that were 24 feet long.

So if I were to have to replace the little 'Rubber Duckie' antenna on my car, it would be with a longer and higher Gain antenna.

My Acer Netbook, with a 7db Gain Antenna.
I use a 16db gain Yagi antenna to push a Wi-Fi signal 500' down the road to a friends house.

So, anyone who cuts off their radio antenna, or removes it all together, just shot themselves in the foot, so to speak. Because they just ruined their long range radio reception.
No problem if all they use is Satellite Radio.

Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts