Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep it simple, looks like if i disconnect the battery i loose and have to reset lots of things but i cant seem to find a list of what i have to reset,

I am getting the idea the radio in my case the upgrade sound has a pin code, where do i get that,

Also are the devices that use a 9 volt battery to save the memory save to use on these cars when changing the battery?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
That's a great idea 13bats! It's weird my clock radio has a 9v battery to save all the settings & programs, but the car doesn't.

I've only disconnected the Soul battery twice & lost all clock/phone/presets.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
404 Posts
The issue on the Kia is that it seems that if the ignition is off the power points don't have power. No power out equals no power in. I did not have the courage to disconnect the battery with the accessory position live when I changed my battery.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Here's what you do...

You get three packs of these things and three pieces each of red and black wire, each about three feet in length.

You connect one end of two of each colors of wire to a single clamp, and the other ends to their own clamps. So you basically have two "Y" cables, one red and one black.

You connect the clamps with the double connectors to the battery cable necks in the car, and one of the single leads to the terminals of the new battery. Leave them connected while you remove the old battery. Then while the leads are still on the new battery, connect the other leads to the old battery, then remove them from the new battery while you install it. Once it's installed, you disconnect all the clamps. Voila. No resetting anything because the system was never without power.

Ordinary cautions apply, of course. When a clamp is not in use, I usually clamp it to its mate's wire, as close to the other clamp as possible. So the unused red clamp would be clamped to the other red wire, close to the clamp. That helps prevent shorts or arcing.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Disconnecting the battery in our cars, has no negative effect on the car itself, even though it may be a PITA for the owner/driver.
Yes, the radio presets, clock, and some other personal settings, like with a phone, need to be reset.

It may even be a positive for the electronics in the car, that are never really OFF as long as the battery is connected.

I have to say "May Even Be" because that's as close as I can come, without Engineering knowledge of the electrical system in the Kia Soul.

But as with most computers, not unlike the one(s) in the Soul, occasionally they need to get a COLD RESTART, or Cold Boot, to reset their memories, etc.
That's the simplest way I can describe a very technical operation.
Back in the days of the HUGE mainframe computers, that I worked on, it was called "Bouncing the System". That effort Refreshed the system, cleared any errors, and could enhance its operating efficiency.

I have no proof that resetting the ECC in a car could have a similar effect, but in all the times that I've disconnected the battery in my own car, like to clean the terminals, I've seen no negative effects on the engine itself.

So if you need to disconnect your battery, for any reason, just do it, and don't feel like it's going to harm anything.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've read that if you are going to do mods like open exhaust, you should disconnect the battery for several minutes. The story is that the computer will learn the new flow and compensate for the difference.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
If you are going to do the "keep live" changeover, or pretty much anything else that involves working in that area, be sure to either remove rings and watches first, or cover them with tape. 12V won't hurt you, but it's enough to weld things together if you short something out. And that will hurt you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you are going to do the "keep live" changeover, or pretty much anything else that involves working in that area, be sure to either remove rings and watches first, or cover them with tape. 12V won't hurt you, but it's enough to weld things together if you short something out. And that will hurt you.
You got that right! Many years ago I tried to weld my wedding ring to an alternator. :stupid:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts