Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a lot of people and gear in my Soul.I have a hitch for a cargo carrier.When loaded up,the car squats really bad in the rear.It causes all kinds of rough riding and bottoming out.The lights shine up in the air and my dim lights blind everyone.The handling is complete crap when the car is loaded.When I was a mechanic,I installed a lot of the Airlift air helper springs.Most were fairly easy.Some were a total P.I.T.A.Luckily,the Soul install is dead simple,except there is no kit for the Soul.I measured the rear springs in the car with it sitting empty,no weight from stuff inside.After getting these measurements,I searched the Airlift catalog.The kit I found that matches the measurements was P/N 60727.I ordered the kit from Amazon.

The first thing was to find a strong spot to jack the Soul up.I used the C shaped bracket that holds the hinge point for the rear beam axle.

Lucky for me,the rear shocks do not need to be unbolted from the beam axle,as many videos show.The only tools I used was a floor jack,wire cutters,and needle nose pliars.

The first thing to do,is install the air spring protectors and air springs.I removed the nipple cover,flattened the air spring,and reinstalled the nipple cover, to make sure it didn't suck air back into it.Then I fed the air spring in through the center of the coil spring,top first, making sure the nipple faced down.Then I worked the air spring back down, until I got it as close to the bottom spring seat as possible,and removed the nipple cover.

The spring protector installed.

Making sure the nipple is in the center of the hole in the spring protector and spring pocket on the beam axle.

Air Springs installed.

Driver side.

Passenger side.

Now it's time for the air lines.I didn't order the optional bracket to mount the schrader valves.I thought I had one.I do have the materials to fab one.For now,they are just zip tied to the hitch for testing.I have a hitch,so I ran my air lines along it.It came in handy on the passenger side to get around the exhaust and muffler.I had enough air line,that I could have routed it up through the bumper.In some pics,it looks like the air lines are rubbing,they aren't.The lines need slack at the air springs.Just enough to allow the suspension to move without pulling the air lines tight.Also,gotta be gentle with the zip ties.They can collapse the soft air lines.

Passenger's side.

I looped the air line up to the rear brake hard line.I wouldn't feel safe zip tying to the rubber line.

Then I routed the air line along the hitch,over the muffler.I'll show the placement of the schrader valves at the end.

Now the driver's side.I ran the air line the same way as the passenger side at the beam axle.

I looped the air line up to the evap canister line and zip tied it.

Then I zip tied it to the evap canister bracket,making sure it faced toward the rear.

I ended the air lines,with one zip tied to each side of the hitch.

This modification isn't easily seen,but can be felt when the car is loaded.My test run covered 120 miles through the high mountains with 700lbs of people and cargo.It made a huge difference in handling and comfort.Now that I know the system works,I can make the brackets to hold the schrader valves.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I carry a lot of people and gear in my Soul.I have a hitch for a cargo carrier.When loaded up,the car squats really bad in the rear.It causes all kinds of rough riding and bottoming out.The lights shine up in the air and my dim lights blind everyone.The handling is complete crap when the car is loaded.When I was a mechanic,I installed a lot of the Airlift air helper springs.Most were fairly easy.Some were a total P.I.T.A.Luckily,the Soul install is dead simple,except there is no kit for the Soul.I measured the rear springs in the car with it sitting empty,no weight from stuff inside.After getting these measurements,I searched the Airlift catalog.The kit I found that matches the measurements was P/N 60727.I ordered the kit from Amazon.

The first thing was to find a strong spot to jack the Soul up.I used the C shaped bracket that holds the hinge point for the rear beam axle.

Lucky for me,the rear shocks do not need to be unbolted from the beam axle,as many videos show.The only tools I used was a floor jack,wire cutters,and needle nose pliars.

The first thing to do,is install the air spring protectors and air springs.I removed the nipple cover,flattened the air spring,and reinstalled the nipple cover, to make sure it didn't suck air back into it.Then I fed the air spring in through the center of the coil spring,top first, making sure the nipple faced down.Then I worked the air spring back down, until I got it as close to the bottom spring seat as possible,and removed the nipple cover.

The spring protector installed.

Making sure the nipple is in the center of the hole in the spring protector and spring pocket on the beam axle.

Air Springs installed.

Driver side.

Passenger side.

Now it's time for the air lines.I didn't order the optional bracket to mount the schrader valves.I thought I had one.I do have the materials to fab one.For now,they are just zip tied to the hitch for testing.I have a hitch,so I ran my air lines along it.It came in handy on the passenger side to get around the exhaust and muffler.I had enough air line,that I could have routed it up through the bumper.In some pics,it looks like the air lines are rubbing,they aren't.The lines need slack at the air springs.Just enough to allow the suspension to move without pulling the air lines tight.Also,gotta be gentle with the zip ties.They can collapse the soft air lines.

Passenger's side.

I looped the air line up to the rear brake hard line.I wouldn't feel safe zip tying to the rubber line.

Then I routed the air line along the hitch,over the muffler.I'll show the placement of the schrader valves at the end.

Now the driver's side.I ran the air line the same way as the passenger side at the beam axle.

I looped the air line up to the evap canister line and zip tied it.

Then I zip tied it to the evap canister bracket,making sure it faced toward the rear.

I ended the air lines,with one zip tied to each side of the hitch.

This modification isn't easily seen,but can be felt when the car is loaded.My test run covered 120 miles through the high mountains with 700lbs of people and cargo.It made a huge difference in handling and comfort.Now that I know the system works,I can make the brackets to hold the schrader valves.

Thanks for all the work that you put into this install thread!
This is a topic (how to lift the rear of the Soul due to temporary heavy loads)that has been
asked about weekly.
You make it look easy.

Well done.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great tech article and well done. What pressure are you running and can we see some pics of the car with and without pressure?

Mark

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,564 Posts
Thanks, ben2go. Great write-up. Very handy for those who regularly carry loads on their Souls.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

Great tech article and well done. What pressure are you running and can we see some pics of the car with and without pressure?

Mark
The air springs don't make a difference in the Soul's height.They stop right at the upper spring mounts.The only time they become active is when there is a load in the back seat,hatch,or hitch.I had max pressure (35psi) in them last night, but I had 4 people and junk in the trunk.LOL It rode a little to stiff.I'll be lowering the pressure to around 20psi this evening.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
What are the chances of the Gen 1 Soul's needing the same size kit?

Thanks for all the work that you put into this install thread!
This is a topic (how to lift the rear of the Soul due to temporary heavy loads)that has been
asked about weekly.
You make it look easy.

Well done.
Is it really necessary to quote the entire post including photos?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
7,943 Posts
Yea quoting the entire post sure clutters the thread up. I'm a member of another forum and if you quote the entire post you will be called out for it. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the chances of the Gen 1 Soul's needing the same size kit?
I haven't looked under a gen 1.I measured my rear springs internal dimensions with the car on level ground, and all my junk out.I crawled under it, measure the inside of the spring in the center,4 inches,and then the distance between the spring mounts,6.25.I used this https://www.airliftcompany.com/workshop/air-lift-1000-universal-air-spring-kit/ to determine which air springs I needed.Then I searched the site for the kit with the correct air springs.I found the kit on sale at Amazon for $80 from SD Truck Spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you find the perfect PSI setting on your air springs to make sure you maintained a comfortable ride? What did you finally set it at?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts