Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annoying... just had the tires replaced on the car and now one of the valves is leaking. The shop that replaced tires claims that it is a bad sensor and want to replace that sensor... I know they tried to replace sensor stem seals but gave up when they couldn't take them apart... might be that they just screwed up taking them apart and are now looking for a way our of it.

Anyway, should I replace the entire sensor or just get a sensor service kit?

cheers...

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
You should be able to get away with a sensor service kit but I would try to make the shop pay for all the repairs. Sounds like they screwed it up to begin with. Of course if they could not get it right the first time, there is no reason to believe that they will be able to fix it either.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
how do i tell if i have the tpms on my 2013 soul
If you bought it new, you have it. But, when you turn on the car look at the dash and look for the TPMS warning light to illuminate, then it should go out It is a "!" in parents kind of, made to look like a cross section of a tire.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
This was the reason I paid for the TPMS rebuild kits when I got my new wheels installed. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just the service kits then - no need to replace the whole thing if it leaks... if it wasn't working it would be a different story.

As for the shop... I know they were fiddling with the senors as they told me so - they could not get them undone (what they said)... seems that they tried, screwed-up and left it alone. They told me today that they can only install their own sensors - I can't bring mine. Well, I guess I'm not going there to fix my sensor...

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
So I'm guessing you have no light but air only leaking air? Sounds like the shop screwed up, so take it some where else! Then take the bill back to the first shop and raise some hell! :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Light does come up... that's how I found out something was wrong. Just yesterday, when light came on, I filled the air and today the light came on again... I figured then that either the shop didn't do a good job installing tires (bad seal) or that I somehow caught a nail or something... and so I went back to check. TPMS is working ok except the fact that the stem leaks air.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Light does come up... that's how I found out something was wrong. Just yesterday, when light came on, I filled the air and today the light came on again... I figured then that either the shop didn't do a good job installing tires (bad seal) or that I somehow caught a nail or something... and so I went back to check. TPMS is working ok except the fact that the stem leaks air.
Whatever comes of it, make sure to register it on BBB because if they screwed yours up, they will screw up others too. Even if they are not a BBB member, do it. You may get a little piece of mind (damn little but it is better than nothing).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is a chain shop... won't mention name, not really worth it. I will most likely give them a good review or two. I did deal with another one of their shops last year while replacing tires on my son's car - they did a good job with tires but recommended a complete brake job - when I pulled the wheels off after a couple of days to perform the brake job I found out that there was nothing wrong with the brakes...

I understand, sometimes these things happen. I think that they try to do a good job but quite honestly IMO quality is really getting a hit. Just like quality of all those aftermarket "chinese" parts. And yet we don't do anything about it.

Ok, enough ranting...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Many reputable tire shops today, are including a TPMS Repair kit in the price of installing new tires.

TPMS Rebuild Kits

My own tire shop was out of the kits when I got my new tires, but they did put in new valve cores.
I have NO leaks.

TIP: If you prefer metal valve caps, over the stock plastic ones, be aware that corrosion can occur between the cap and the valve stem, making the cap impossible to remove. So either remove them regularly or apply a tiny bit of anti-seize or lubricant to the valve stem threads. Don't get it down inside the valve stem!

Happy Motoring!

:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'm still driving with leaking sensor stem... it's not leaking that bad now but still, I did buy a new sensor (like $40.00 on-line OEM TPMS) just don't have time to go and do it... and that freaking weather is just driving me nuts... snow and cold, snow and cold, never ending. True winter for a change and people in Cali are going through worse drought in history. Anyway, I know tire shops would replace seals - it's just that a very reputable shop botched that job on my car and now I'm reaping fruits of that......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts