Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm asking if it will hurt anything at all,I'll find one to fit under the hood size wise,just making sure it won't affect the electronics in any way,pretty sure it won't,just double checking.Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
53 Posts
I'm asking if it will hurt anything at all,I'll find one to fit under the hood size wise,just making sure it won't affect the electronics in any way,pretty sure it won't,just double checking.Thank you for the reply.
It's really a function of the charging regime. Simplifying, AGM batteries are more sensitive to overcharging and heat than flooded lead acid. I don't have my 2015 any more , traded on a 2020 with an AGM and ISG, so I can't check that. If you have an OBD2 reader you could check the voltage under three conditions, cold idle just started, highway cruise with heater, AC, lights off, and highway with headlights etc. on. The AGM battery definitely will not hurt anything in your car, and most modern charging systems are ok. My voltage check and some AGM specs, done before I put the AGM in on my Element are here: https://www.elementownersclub.com/threads/eld-operation-explanation.122873/#post-1394225

·
Registered
727 Posts
AGM will cycle deeper than flooded lead-acid, have a very low self-discharge rate, do not require adding distilled water and fully charge to 12.8 volts compared to lead-acid at 12.6.
Automotive charge rate specs are 14.3 volts, +\- 0.5 volt (13.8-14.8) and suitable for AGM.
Typical battery voltage while driving my Soul read 14.2-14.3.
It is my battery of preference.

The two at my ranch are maintained by small solar panels.
Both are past 3 year warranty (O'Reillys) and perform well.

A few years back I had to replace a fuse panel inside the travel trailer battery compartment, probably due to lead-acid fumes. Not an issue now with AGM.
Same reason Mazda used AGM in the trunk of my 2003 Miata (MX-5)

Other than cheaper, but usually shorter warranty, I see no reason to use lead-acid.

AGM served well in 2003 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2016 Nissan Frontier, 2012 Triumph Bonneville, 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II, 2014 Honda CB1100, including trips to Death Valley, with ambient up to 116 F.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Brings up a question as to how good the batteries are in our cars (or how well the charging system maintains the battery). My 2014 lasted 4 years and needed replacement (barely turned over). That's my sample of 1. Based on that experience I would consider it necessary to get an AGM battery.
In comparison my Mazda lasted 10 years, so I replaced with the same battery size style and did not contemplate an AGM battery. (same sample of 1, but mazda forums show a lot of similar results as mine)
Will be interesting to see how the threads go over the next few years here.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,617 Posts
Brings up a question as to how good the batteries are in our cars (or how well the charging system maintains the battery). My 2014 lasted 4 years and needed replacement (barely turned over). That's my sample of 1. Based on that experience I would consider it necessary to get an AGM battery.
In comparison my Mazda lasted 10 years, so I replaced with the same battery size style and did not contemplate an AGM battery. (same sample of 1, but mazda forums show a lot of similar results as mine)
Will be interesting to see how the threads go over the next few years here.
I replaced mine at 5.5 years in my 2014, tester02. Probably could have squeezed a few more months but didn't want to try my luck.

I went with a $92 Interstate lead acid from Costco & picked up a Superconductor style emergency starter to keep in the boot space.

Advantages of the AGM battery
AGM batteries
have a very low internal resistance, are capable to deliver high currents on demand and offer relative long service life, even when deep-cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead-acid type.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts