Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I just did some reading on AGM batteries, and saw the following:

"AGM and other sealed batteries do not like heat and should be installed away from the engine compartment. Manufacturers recommend halting charge if the battery core reaches 49°C (120°F)".

What? If this is true, why is Kia installing them under the hood? My wife and I will be moving back to Florida soon, and this has me concerned. Not sure if AGMs are installed in all Souls, or just the models that are ISG equipped. Anyone here live in a warmer climate that would like to chime-in and educate me? I took a road trip a few days ago, and the temp was in the upper 70s. I noticed that as I neared my destination (after driving about two hours), the ISG wasn't working. As I would approach a traffic light, and came to a stop, the orange light on the ISG switch would come on, and the engine would continue to run. When I took my foot off the brake pedal, the light would turn off. I didn't have the A/C on, so I can't figure out why it stopped working. The only thing that I am wondering about is, did the battery get too warm, causing it to stop charging? The reduced battery voltage would indeed cause the ISG to stop working (by design).
Looking forward to reading your replies!
Cheers!
Jeff

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Say what?
Where are you reading this stuff?

I live in the deep south. Brutal summers.
If anything,had cars like Alfa with the battery in the trunk.
Also ,old VW's with the battery under the rear seat,
Had problem with getting adequate power in hot weather to start.

Do more research my friend.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
You mean KIA's been putting batteries in the wrong place for millions of vehicles :sneakiness:

KIA does much of their testing in Death Valley (they have their own KIA/Hyundai proving grounds), can't get much hotter than that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't believe we have AGM type batteries. I think Kias have lead-storage batteries.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't believe we have AGM type batteries. I think Kias have lead-storage batteries.
Page 5-47 in the manual states the following:
NOTICE
If the AGM battery is reconnected
or replaced, ISG function will not
operate immediately.
If you want to use the ISG function,
the battery sensor needs to be cali-
brated for approximately 4 hours
with the ignition off and then, turn
the engine on and off 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean KIA's been putting batteries in the wrong place for millions of vehicles :sneakiness:

KIA does much of their testing in Death Valley (they have their own KIA/Hyundai proving grounds), can't get much hotter than that.
How long has Kia been using the AGM batteries?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Help some of us out.
The world is now communicating by acronym.

You are assuming everyone knows the meaning of,ISG.
And of course,AGM.

Asked my wife and my friendly local "knows/can do everything" mechanic.
Both gave me blank stares.

I Googled them.
At least now I know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Help some of us out.
The world is now communicating by acronym.

You are assuming everyone knows the meaning of,ISG.
And of course,AGM.

Asked my wife and my friendly local "knows/can do everything" mechanic.
Both gave me blank stares.

I Googled them.
At least now I know.

My apologies, but I see that you didn't explain it either!

AGM: "Absorbent Glass Mat". In a nutshell, it's kind of a specialized sealed battery. Somewhat similar to a deep cycle battery.
ISG: "Idle Stop and Go". Engine shuts off when you come to a stop, then automatically restarts when you take your foot off the brake.

The AGM battery is necessary because of the repeated starting of the engine in ISG equipped vehicles.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
all batteries are the same for the Soul no matter where its located in the US. When the product is built in South Korea they have no idea where in the US the vehicle will eventually be located so they don't build them for area specific (country maybe) so if it works in NH it will work in Florida. :sneakiness:

I checked my battery and it is a AGM version

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all batteries are the same for the Soul no matter where its located in the US. When the product is built in South Korea they have no idea where in the US the vehicle will eventually be located so they don't build them for area specific (country maybe) so if it works in NH it will work in Florida. :sneakiness:

I checked my battery and it is a AGM version

And once again I bring up the subject of whether the AGM battery is affected by heat. A lot of experts on here, but no one has proven the source that I posted wrong. Not saying that the batteries fail in high temps, merely wondering if their charge state changes as temps climb. The ISG on my 2016+ definitely behaved differently the other day than it typically does on a cooler day!

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
And once again I bring up the subject of whether the AGM battery is affected by heat. A lot of experts on here, but no one has proven the source that I posted wrong. Not saying that the batteries fail in high temps, merely wondering if their charge state changes as temps climb. The ISG on my 2016+ definitely behaved differently the other day than it typically does on a cooler day!
All we are saying that you won't have a problem in the southern US which seems to be your main concern.

The ISG will behave differently depending on the temperature, (just the same as any vehicle does), as the variations are listed in your owners manual as to its operation functions specifically for the ISG system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there one person reading this that owns an ISG equipped Soul (with am AGM battery) who lives year 'round in South Florida, who can say that they never have problems with the ISG not working? I am certain that it all boils down to voltage, but wondering if heat plays a part in voltage drop. Today, I monitored the voltage as I was driving, and it typically registered 12.4 v, but cycled to 14+ v from time to time. AGM batteries are a different kind of beast. I have read warnings on charging (there are chargers specifically made for AGM batteries), as well as warnings on jump-starting. Just trying to educate myself. I have a son who is ASE Certified, and has been in the business for years, and he confirmed that AGM batteries do in fact require a different kind of care than a normal lead-acid battery.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Jeff - you should add ISG to your Drive info. As mine is not a ISG version then it looks like the AGM type battery is probably standard on all Soul's regardless but maybe the US is different to Canada.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/gel-vs-agm.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK4fAzUBmSM

from reading some of this stuff looks like KIA has put in a good quality battery as standard, when they could have gone cheaper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeff - you should add ISG to your Drive info. As mine is not a ISG version then it looks like the AGM type battery is probably standard on all Soul's regardless but maybe the US is different to Canada.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/gel-vs-agm.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK4fAzUBmSM

from reading some of this stuff looks like KIA has put in a good quality battery as standard, when they could have gone cheaper.
Thanks for the tip and links. I'll check them out :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
How long has Kia been using the AGM batteries?
Kia have been using AGM batteries since the introduction of the ISG system 2-3 years ago .
If you read information on line about Batteries always ensure you read up to date reports .
The whole electronics was redesigned by kia with uprated starter, AGM battery and adjusted charging rates.
If you want to find out more you could go to the Kia owners forum UK..
The roads in UK are so congested the ISG system rarely works as it is designed to save 40% of battery capacity for running. if you check in hand book other things may also stop working like AC till battery recovers..
Because of the sensitive electronics it is essential to ensure you only use an intelligent battery charger suitable for AGM batteries.

Your other point about about heat is similar for all batteries and that is why the batteries are on cool side of engine and have a heat resistant case around to reflect heat. as regards battery in rear that comes with Long cables and their problems.

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts