Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just finished a set of wheels for my Soul. I wanted something a little different than OEM Soul wheels (I like things that are a little different) but after powder coating wheels for 10 years now, I still wanted OEM quality castings. They're a little heavier but the difference in the quality of the castings between most aftermarket wheels and OEM wheels becomes very evident when you powder coat them. Soooo, here's what I found... One set of straight but rashed Mazda RX-8 wheels, 18x8 +50mm offset and the same size center and bolt pattern as the Soul. I cleaned, blasted and smoothed the road rash out then powder coated them bright red (red because my car is sort of SSD Performance's "rolling advertisement" so I want it to get lots of attention... and so far it does). Just wanted to share this with you all in case some of you were looking for a wheel option that is perhaps a little more unique than the usual aftermarket colors and choices... kind of ouside of the box, just food for thought!

·
Registered
518 Posts
VERY nice - looks EXCELLENT. The additional width really adds a more muscular look.

BTW, excellent roof racks, I'm really working on my wife to get them installed on "her" car, but so far she'll hear none of it. :-( Heck, I have TWO types of rackage for my Mini Cooper, she oughta have one for the Soul!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DixonL2... Thanks! Keep after your wife about those rails too, they are just really handy to have. Normally I carry mountain bikes on mine but just yesterday my wife and I were on a little business trip. We were about 150 miles from home when she wanted to stop at an antique store to kill some time and wouldn't you know it... she found a large table that she wanted. Luckily I had my cross bars on so we were able to load it up and bring it home! Not the first time I have run across large, unextpected things to haul. Very handy.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wicked

Looks wicked! I like it a lot. :)

Have you considered making the chrome grill ring black? I'm planning on doing this to ours when I get a second of free time. I think it's the one thing out of place on all our cars. (Concept car did not have it an it looks much better IMO) With yours, with the wicked red wheels, black bars and tinted windows etc, I think it really sticks out. Or maybe if you made it red too? Just asking, not pushing.

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, I HATE the chrome grill trim. I think it looks out of place and out of date. I haven't had time to take it off and investigate it but I sure would like it to be black. I'm sure it is plastic and can't be powder coated tho. Too bad, I've never had good luck with painting plastic... especially on the front of the car. I'm going to get it off of there and see what might be involved in a steel replacement that COULD be powder coated. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
590 Posts
I agree, I HATE the chrome grill trim. I think it looks out of place and out of date. I haven't had time to take it off and investigate it but I sure would like it to be black. I'm sure it is plastic and can't be powder coated tho. Too bad, I've never had good luck with painting plastic... especially on the front of the car. I'm going to get it off of there and see what might be involved in a steel replacement that COULD be powder coated. Stay tuned....
According to others threads on here, the only way to get it off is to take the entire front bumper off. That sounds like a lot of work to me. I showed it to my nephew who does full car wraps and he said it would be no problem to cover it with black vinyl. He did my boss' BMW 335I window surround chrome and it looks awesome. Actually, that's what KIA did on the Soul around the windows for production! All vinyl. So I'm going to have him do it flat black.

Doesn't hurt to get the family discount either. ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can get flat black vinyl tape (actually a matte or somewhat-semi-gloss), and scissor it to fit the grille. Works just fine, removable, inexpensive, and a little overlap isn't all that noticeable at the corners or seams - ain't gonna kill you to try it.

Careful, though, as too much black can somewhat cheapen the look of some color cars.

On Black, though...
"Lord Vader, your Soul has arrived"
"Wait a minuite - I don't HAVE a soul!"
"Not soul, Soul! A Kia"
" "A Kia!' Is that a martial arts move? Are you threatening me?"
" No! No! NOOOoooo...."
(splat)

(heh heh heh)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im looking at getting the bike rack set up that you sell its great and i ride Downhill i just built up a nice iron horse so i need some rack from you as well as im interested in pricing on powder coating my stock wheels all black? you can PM me with some prices THANKS!
heres a pic of the new bike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts