Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to warn other owners about installing after-market metal valve stem caps. I replaced the OEM plastic caps with fancy metal caps that were made of a dissimilar metal than the valve stems. When I later went to check the air pressure in the tires I found one cap was frozen onto the valve stem. probably from moisture trapped in the threads. Penetrating oil didn't work. I had to cut off the metal cap using a Dremel tool taking great care not to damage the wheel and valve stem threads to avoid costing me the removal of the wheel, replacement of the valve stem and probably rebalancing the wheel. So my advice is to keep the OEM plastic caps. Just a warning and a word of advice to all other car enthusiasts that may be tempted to make the same mistake I made.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sounds like you may have experienced some galling. Glad you were able to get it off without too much issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It isn’t just Kia. I was looking at the reviews on Amazon for valve caps and the corrosion problem is a very common complaint.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In the late '70s, on a trip from Los Angeles to Monterey, a tire went flat, a brand new tire.
The tire shop installed a long valve core into a short stem and vibration caused air loss.
No more plastic caps on auto or truck tires (save them for grandkids bikes).

The chrome hex type look good but are prone to theft, so I use simpler ones, but metal with an o-ring seal; a backup to the valve stem core.

Not much corrosion issues in the Southwest and I check tire pressure about once a month.

And I remove them when I take them to a tire shop for new tires...resulting in more black plastic valve stem caps that I need!

If I lived in a wetter/more corrosive climate, I would use a dab of grease when first installing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts