Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my soul + right before the new years and I've been kicking myself in the but not getting the sunroof and upgraded audio. So I'm thinking of putting in a Solarie 4300 sunroof but it'll cost 1200+ I don't feel like its worth it. What have you all done. Also I'm thinking of adding a center speaker and putting in my alpine sub and amp from my last car. Has anyone had success with that? Thank!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I've done high quality aftermarket power sunroofs in MANY vehicles, for decades, including my current 2012 Scion xB. The three main manufacturers are Webasto, Inalfa and Hollandia. There have been recalls in the past and they are costly - I've seen everywhere from a grand to fifteen hundred, but if you find a good installer, they are usually fine. On the other hand, they are NEVER as good as the factory ones because the roof is reinforced for them in the design. It's not usually an issue but the fact that it wasn't engineered into the roof can be problematic in some cases. So my advice is to always try and buy the factory one whenever possible as it's the better choice over an aftermarket one, but if you simply must have one, bite the bullet and go for the aftermarket one, find a good installer and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Having a sunroof is pretty nice. I wasn't shopping for one when I chose my Soul, but all the cars on the lot that had the UVO had a Sunroof, so I ended up with one. Afterwards, I was very glad. It was money well spent in my own personal opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My car (Soul Plus) was equipped with a UVO and I almost chose the vehicle that didn't have it. I am so happy that I picked the one with the UVO, because it's awesome. Not having a new car in 10 years, I had no idea what I was missing. I love it, although I am still getting used to it. Regarding the sunroof, check with your KIA dealer. My dealer has a partnership with a company that installs them and it was installed before I took possession of the vehicle. They also installed by leather seats. Once you have a sunroof, it is hard to go back to not having one.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
aftermarket sunroofs seem to be a matter of extremes - on one hand you might never experience even a minor problem - but, are there minor problems with them ? more likely any problem will prove to be a disaster -

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I've seen them all, they can be minor and major. Roof won't close or open, you have to hold down the button to make it work, blown fuses, wind noise and buffeting, pop up wind screen doesn't pop up, water leaks, blocked drainage channels, scratches to your roof or dash or other stuff during the install, things not being centered, headliner issues, improper clean up in the vehicle when done. Like I said, it's ALWAYS better to get it from the factory if it's available.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I have always said if I go with one it will be the retractable rag top one. But I don't know. All of the people that have had it done to their soul aftermarket had to have the headliner replaced with the old foam in fabric stuff that sags after a few years.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Autoguide

·
Registered
597 Posts
I can't comment on the sunroof or center channel speaker, but my car came with UVO and I had my old sub and amp installed with no problems. Works well, sounds great. I would vote sub over sunroof anyway though. Ha ha

·
Registered
446 Posts
what about a non powered sunroof any idesa on that from anyone I ve had them in two of my past cars with no problemx and am thinking of doing the same to the soul

·
Registered
597 Posts
What did you use for an amplifier and subwoofer?
An Alpine Type-R 10" in a sealed box with an Alpine MRP-M500 amp. The sub can handle 600 watts continuous, and the amp puts out 500 continuous. The specs sound kinda meager, but inside the Soul it pounds. I'm a metal guy so I LOVE those kick drums blasting away.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
what about a non powered sunroof any idesa on that from anyone I ve had them in two of my past cars with no problemx and am thinking of doing the same to the soul
yes I had one installed on a '84 Topaz, worked great (it just popped up only), no problems and certainly a lot cheaper, however, its not even remotely close to the one I currently have in my Soul, hard to beat the factory one. If I wanted one after market I would tend to go more with a non-powered unit, much simplier nothing much can go wrong and much cheaper.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yes I had one installed on a '84 Topaz, worked great (it just popped up only), no problems and certainly a lot cheaper, however, its not even remotely close to the one I currently have in my Soul, hard to beat the factory one. If I wanted one after market I would tend to go more with a non-powered unit, much simplier nothing much can go wrong and much cheaper.
the ones I had the glass could come right out and put in a bag in the trunk

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
why what do you know that I don t ????
Yea, less problems but unless you are keeping it forever I wouldn't even think of it. Imho those type of roofs are old and generally for older cars and trucks of minimal value. Put one in your desirable, new, Soul and the resale value is probably toast.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
An Alpine Type-R 10" in a sealed box with an Alpine MRP-M500 amp. The sub can handle 600 watts continuous, and the amp puts out 500 continuous. The specs sound kinda meager, but inside the Soul it pounds. I'm a metal guy so I LOVE those kick drums blasting away.
Thanks for sharing. I will definitely look at that setup and possibly be hitting you up for just exactly how you installed it. It's a bit more power than I was looking at but there is nothing wrong with having some headroom.

I found that I can get decent pounding out of my UVO if I use an EQ on my Droid Charge. That works for Pandora and Google Music... but that still leaves the rest of my sources of music from Sirius, USB, CD, and FM sounding flat. It surprises me that the UVO has only a "3 band" EQ. It sounds actually pretty good with an EQ. So, since I doubt we will get a software upgrade to bring in a real EQ, the only other alternative is an additional sub to improve the sound.

I am metal guy too..... been loving the resurgence in the metal scene the past few years with bands like 5FDP, Seether, Killswitch Engage, Hollywood Undead, etc.

Here is the EQ App for Android that made a HUGE difference https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smartandroidapps.equalizer

·
Registered
597 Posts
UVO sounds great, but I just felt the factory sub was lacking.

As for the install, I spoke to Kia and they said that if I didnt have it professionally installed, it would void my warranty. So, off to Best Buy I went. I already had everything, so they just wired it up and that was it.

I had that EQ app, but I didnt like that it was on all the time. Thanks for the heads up though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts