Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

First post, heyoo! So here is my question. Recently purchased a base 2014 Soul. Once I get the payments rolling I want to look into doing some modifications. The first thing I would love to do is get a GPS in the car because I am not the best with directions. I really don't want to get a 3rd party GPS unit because I want to keep as many Kia parts as possible and just keep with the look the car has so it's not so obvious that it is a after market install. 2 questions:

1) It looks like the GPS unit for the upper level 2014 Souls are all one piece with the GPS unit, air conditioning/heat controls and heated/cooled seat controls are all included on the same unit, so it doesn't look like I could just pull out the stereo and put the GPS unit in mine. Is it possible to replace the entire dash and wire in the air conditioning controls and all and have it still work? Obviously the seats heating/cooling wouldn't work. So would the controls on the upper level dash unit be able to control my air conditioning and all if I install fit in my car?

2) Obviously the 2014s haven't been out for very long but where should I keep an eye out for purchasing the entire dash, if that is even possible?

I hope this post doesn't make me look like too much of a noob

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Wow, you don't want much, do you? I would say that unless you are extremely handy and knowledgeable in this area, you would be biting off more than you would want to. I have not heard of anyone doing this before to the extent you proposed. My advice is to get an after market unit and find a way to fit it into your dash. I know you said you did not want to do this but the Kia Navi unit is integrated with all kinds of other stuff. You are like me, I use a Tom-Tom and pull it out when I need it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I know it's early to be thinking of adding this but it is just a thought I had and wanted to figure out if it was seven possible. I am actually pretty good with electrical mods and my father is an electrical engineer and I have a few car mechanic friends so hopefully I could pull the right team together.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Yea, I know it's early to be thinking of adding this but it is just a thought I had and wanted to figure out if it was seven possible. I am actually pretty good with electrical mods and my father is an electrical engineer and I have a few car mechanic friends so hopefully I could pull the right team together.
Ok, I hear you. There is a fellow who did some ad hoc work on adding a TV receiver unit and some new electronics to his car. It is not the same year as yours and does not involve a nav unit, but it does have a good write up and shows some of what he went through doing this. His user name is Venomous, you can either go to the members list to find him or search on his name. It may give you some idea on what you may be up against in the dash area, but again, it is not a 2014 model.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Sounds very costly......should have chosen the upper level trim!

Howdy and welcome to the forums! :)

Reactions: nick1946

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
Hey Everyone,

First post, heyoo! So here is my question. Recently purchased a base 2014 Soul.
welcome to the forum - couple of questions - where in the US are you located (state) and which model of Soul did you get? (2014 Black Soul doesn't tell us much :D )

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX
58 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I used the Apple Maps App on my iPhone5 to navigate in my 2014 Base Soul today and it worked great. I plugged into the USB port and the turn by turn directions from the app faded out the music to give me the voice directions and the the music came back on again after each command

After today, I can't imagine ever buying a GPS unit or paying the $1000 or so for factory nav.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I used the Apple Maps App on my iPhone5 to navigate in my 2014 Base Soul today and it worked great. I plugged into the USB port and the turn by turn directions from the app faded out the music to give me the voice directions and the the music came back on again after each command

After today, I can't imagine ever buying a GPS unit or paying the $1000 or so for factory nav.
Good point.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For what it's worth: After I bought my 2013, I went by a local stereo installer. He quoted me $1500 for a stereo system install that included GPS, Bluetooth, Rear Back Up Camera, USB, HD Radio and Sirius/XM. It would have used the factory steering wheel controls -- but, NOT the factory microphone or antenna.

Crutchfield offers units and basic install kits for $500-700. There are a couple of threads about this forum concerning stereo upgrades.

Personally, MY current plan is to use my Nokia Lumina 900's GPS -- I already stream music from it and use it as my 'default' phone.

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX
58 Posts

One thought or question, when using a smartphone for turn by turn navigation in the Soul, I've just place the phone in the tray and listened to the voice commands. In this configuration I can't see the screen, but the voice instructions seem good enough that it doesn't appear to be an issue. But possibly there's a mounting approach that let's me watch the screen that doesn't junk up the clean look of the dash.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Everyone,

First post, heyoo! So here is my question. Recently purchased a base 2014 Soul. Once I get the payments rolling I want to look into doing some modifications. The first thing I would love to do is get a GPS in the car because I am not the best with directions. I really don't want to get a 3rd party GPS unit because I want to keep as many Kia parts as possible and just keep with the look the car has so it's not so obvious that it is a after market install. 2 questions:

1) It looks like the GPS unit for the upper level 2014 Souls are all one piece with the GPS unit, air conditioning/heat controls and heated/cooled seat controls are all included on the same unit, so it doesn't look like I could just pull out the stereo and put the GPS unit in mine. Is it possible to replace the entire dash and wire in the air conditioning controls and all and have it still work? Obviously the seats heating/cooling wouldn't work. So would the controls on the upper level dash unit be able to control my air conditioning and all if I install fit in my car?

2) Obviously the 2014s haven't been out for very long but where should I keep an eye out for purchasing the entire dash, if that is even possible?

I hope this post doesn't make me look like too much of a noob
I have a base Soul as well. My plan is to re-purpose the blank center speaker plate as a screen mount (integrate a USB charger & ball mount in the center). I'm leaning towards the new 7" Garmin GPS with wireless backup camera for $400:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-...vi-2798lmt-with-backup-camera/prod150565.html

That way I don't have to screw around with tearing out the factory systems (Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, microphone, etc.) and can make it look nice with a rubber grommet. Since you want to keep the look "stock", you might want to try out some fiberglass with that idea - integrate the Garmin dock & charging cable for a flush look. That may sound weird, but the 2014 Mazda3 has something similar that actually looks pretty nice:

http://firm-guide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2014-Mazda3-35-GPS-navigation.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts