Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I've forgotten where the block heater plugin connection is on the exterior of my 2011 Kia Soul! The temp got to minus 23 C last night and she started no problem but I'd really like to plug in the block heater tonight, just to be safe.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
you'll just have to look for it, as the exterior plug could be in different locations depending on who installed it. You should be able to trace from the engine block where it originates.
-23C isn't that cold, wait till it gets to -35 to -40 or lower with the windchill ;)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
779 Posts
:laughonfloor

·
Registered
35 Posts
The wind chill this morning was - 20. The block heater is a device that allows a person to drive to the airport so they can fly somewhere and be drunk, ignorant and warm away from home.

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
so Golfdewd, are you going to let us know that you found it, it would be nice to get feedback when you ask the question!

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
Did you find it-I have the same problem and can't locate it-thanks,
where in Canada are you located and what model do you have? The Soul does not come standard with a block heater, it has to be dealer installed and they sell it through their parts department.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Block heaters, dip stick heaters, , , boy, does that bring back lots of BAD memories!
Especially, when the heater burns out during a very cold night and the engine is frozen solid the next morning.
Been there.....done that!

First find the block heater at the engine and then just follow the little black wire to the plug, wherever it's hiding.
Usually behind the grill somewhere.

Once you figure out how to get the hood open, the rest should be easy.

Happy Holidays!

:cool:

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
I can't believe any one cannot find a block heat (if it has it) its not like you are looking a massive engine that total fits the engine bay, there is lots of room on the top and underneath to see and there is only a limited number of places it could be installed. If in doubt simply phone the dealer, they install them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not sure why you would NEED a block heater, this will be the 4th winter on our souls and they have been started without issue after sitting all night facing a -35f north wind wind chill. I think the battery suffers more than anything. Maybe my synthetic oil helps. Both of them sat buried in several feet of snow for 3 days 3 years ago and fired right up without issue well below 0 after 6 hours of snow blowing and waiting for the plow trucks.
I do notice them cranking slower, but the batteries are also almost 4 years old and over 80k on the vehicles.
I suppose if you live where temps will be below freeze point for your antifreeze most of the time it would be a necessity.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Not sure why you would NEED a block heater, this will be the 4th winter on our souls and they have been started without issue after sitting all night facing a -35f north wind wind chill. I think the battery suffers more than anything. Maybe my synthetic oil helps. Both of them sat buried in several feet of snow for 3 days 3 years ago and fired right up without issue well below 0 after 6 hours of snow blowing and waiting for the plow trucks.
I do notice them cranking slower, but the batteries are also almost 4 years old and over 80k on the vehicles.
I suppose if you live where temps will be below freeze point for your antifreeze most of the time it would be a necessity.
Don't believe that your car reacts to wind chill, just absolute temp. But be that as it may, some folks up in Canada face absolutes of -40 F. Could be that the block heater is necessary if the car is not in a somewhat heated enclosed space. Most cars come with antifreeze set to -25 F, perhaps it is set lower in the northern climes, if that is possible. And you are right, batteries take a beating in the cold.

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
obviously you have never used one. When you get extreme cold temperatures continuously, its much easier on the engine when you can keep the oil warm which in turn makes it much easier for starting and also warms up the car that much faster. Far more efficient than a remote start and a heck of lot cheaper to install and its simple so nothing can go wrong. Also it does not have to be on all the time either when parked, just set it on a timer to kick in about 1-2 hours prior to departure.
Since moving back to this part of southern Ontario and haven't found the need for a block heater, but when we were living in southern Alberta I had one in every car I owned. Many business have electric posts where you park so that you could plug in your car when necessary. The anti-freeze I have in the car is rated for -45C (so a 50/50 mix gives you protection to -35C and 60/40 will protect you to -45C) and same for my windshield washer fluid but that is not mixed with water.

·
Registered
546 Posts
obviously you have never used one. When you get extreme cold temperatures continuously, its much easier on the engine when you can keep the oil warm which in turn makes it much easier for starting and also warms up the car that much faster. Far more efficient than a remote start and a heck of lot cheaper to install and its simple so nothing can go wrong. Also it does not have to be on all the time either when parked, just set it on a timer to kick in about 1-2 hours prior to departure.
Since moving back to this part of southern Ontario and haven't found the need for a block heater, but when we were living in southern Alberta I had one in every car I owned. Many business have electric posts where you park so that you could plug in your car when necessary. The anti-freeze I have in the car is rated for -45C (so a 50/50 mix gives you protection to -35C and 60/40 will protect you to -45C) and same for my windshield washer fluid but that is not mixed with water.
My 83 gmc 6.2 diesel had one i used (block), 78 mercury zephyr had one i used (rad hose heater), 77 malibu coupe had one i used (block) 86 chevrolet suburban 6.2 diesel had one i used (block).
As a mechanic i have installed more than i care to count.
I had older carbureted vehicles that would just give up in sub freezing temps if the heater wasnt used, and its mandatory on older diesels at those temps because no amout of cranking will ever start them...
I was just referring to the Soul not needing one, even though it cranked noticeably slower in those temps, it still cranked faster than most of my v8 vehicles in the summer and started nearly instantly as it always has.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ive usually found that if someone cant find the plug in for any enging heaters, hose, dip stick, or block, its because they didnt tie the cord up and it fell and was eventually removed by the pavement, Or it just didnt have one. In my experience its one of these issues 95% of the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts