Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About the only two things my Soul doesn't have are the LED turn signal mirrors and the projector headlights. Wanting to remedy one of these, I took a chance and ordered LED turn signal mirror covers from a seller on Ebay for $68 and free shipping from Korea.

Genuine Side Mirror Cover Painted LED Repeater Light for Kia 14 15 All New Soul | eBay

I received the parts and was surprised to see they were actual Kia OEM not counterfeit ripoffs.

I don't recommend this seller (finedayshop) because they sent me the wrong color mirror covers and their communication is nil. I have requested a refund from Ebay for their error so I don't think I will be out any money in the end. In the meantime I went ahead and checked out my mirror assembly and here is what I found.

A. Removing the mirror glass - Yes it's true. You just get your fingers in behind the glass and pull it straight off, but careful, it may be attached to the mirror assembly with a wire for heated mirror contacts like mine was so I left it hanging while inspecting the mirror assembly.

B. The LED turn signal piece - has a tiny hole with 2 tiny male wire prongs buried inside it for a 2 female wiring connector to plug into and the light assembly is held to the mirror assembly with one screw that is already in the mirror assembly.

C. I was hoping to get lucky and discover this wiring connector tucked inside the mirror assembly. After taking the existing mirror cover off there was no luck. I had an existing 4 wire connector for my power mirror controller but no LED wiring. Damn.

D. Getting the existing mirror cover off - what a royal pain in the ass. I tried every conceivable way from the inside of the mirror to work this thing off. It wasn't happening. The thing is buried behind the black plastic mirror assembly. It's like Fort Knox in there its so secure. I don't know how anyone including Kia shop mechanics could possibly get this thing off without internal damage to the cover. I finally started prying it from the outside with a tiny flat screwdriver to minimize visible damage little by little. Even with this I did break the main plastic cover pinch clip inside but luckily the cover went back on and holds steady. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS PIECE IF YOU INTEND TO REUSE YOUR EXISTING COVERS IN THE FUTURE.

So now I have a dilemma. I know I will tap into the turn signal wiring at the headlight unit but getting the wiring connected to the 2 prong male plug in that tiny space of the LED part will be a bitch.

I'm glad I took the mirror apart to see what was in there. Maybe this will help give info to someone here considering the same.

I would love to hear advice from anyone on the next step to get this wiring connected or a part number for the OEM Kia mirror connector. I may have to call my local dealer parts dept. (a fate worse than death).

Pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Can you take a better pic of that LED connector? I don't think you will have any trouble finding a two wire connector. Many electronics use them, perhaps you will find it in an old VCR or stereo.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update:

I stopped by my local Kia dealer and spoke with the parts guy. He said the LED connector comes with the LED mirror housing so no luck there to get the connector by itself.

Good news however. I stopped at a local electronics 'fix it' shop on the way home and the guy there was nice enough to fabricate me a pair of 2 prong female connectors (he cut a 4 prong connector in half with a dremel LOL) and he didn't even charge me.

The connectors fit like a charm so I'm covered on the LED plug-in end.

I tested the LED plug connectors by holding one wire to the positive battery terminal and the other to a ground bolt. The LED lit up. Success.

Now I just need to know what wire to tap on the headlight/turn signal assembly and i'm in business.

I attached 2 pics, 1 of the LH headlight wiring (blue and white wires) and 1 of the RH headlight wiring (red and yellow wires).

At least I believe this is the headlight/turn signal wiring.

Can someone tell me what color wire is the hot wire for the turn signals on left and right hand?

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you put it on a 2010 4U model too ???
The mirror covers and LED lights I purchased were for the gen 2 Soul.

They won't work on gen 1s.

I saw there are some on ebay that do fit gen 1s. Good luck, you will still have to fish wire if you don't have the LED mirrors or you can tap into the side marker lamps if you have those and have double side blinkers LOL.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have a wiring schematic for the gen 2 headlights?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi FL Soul,

I believe I'm too late to tell you that, wiring for repeater light comes by default in all models (at list I have it in mine, even if I don't have actual repeater itself). No need to go all the way to the front head lights, just use the power from Side mirror itself. Check the bundle which is compatible to side mirror from inside.

Good luck
Soul 2014

·
Registered
3 Posts
Led blinker mirriors

I just upgraded from a 2013 base to a 2015+ and want the mirror blinkers/winkers too. Thank you FL soul on the inside mirror assembly pics and IBH for the info on the wiring being there at the mirror connector . I had already found an after market complete replacement (not an option at the price) that is a power mirror/wink/heat/fold but has a pic of the mirror connector.
http://www.amazon.com/Passengers-Mi...-3393-1-1-2995--6-0&sr=1-58&ymm=2015:kia:soul
With an electrical background my first step before reading this and still is to remove the entire mirror assembly first, to see if the door had the blinker wiring and which pin/s provided power to the blinker with a meter or other tester. Note that the after market mirror plug pic shows 8 pins. They should be Ground, mirror up, down, left, right, heat, blink and fold/unfold toggle. My next step if the power is there would be to hit he junk yards to get the 2 pin led connectors with wires to solder into the mirror connector for the led side covers or buy complete mirror assemblies and paint the covers black if I couldn't find silver.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I just upgraded from a 2013 base to a 2015+ and want the mirror blinkers/winkers too. Thank you FL soul on the inside mirror assembly pics and IBH for the info on the wiring being there at the mirror connector . I had already found an after market complete replacement (not an option at the price) that is a power mirror/wink/heat/fold but has a pic of the mirror connector.
Amazon.com: Passengers Power Side View Mirror Heated Signal Power Folding Replacement for Kia 87620B2530: Automotive
With an electrical background my first step before reading this and still is to remove the entire mirror assembly first, to see if the door had the blinker wiring and which pin/s provided power to the blinker with a meter or other tester. Note that the after market mirror plug pic shows 8 pins. They should be Ground, mirror up, down, left, right, heat, blink and fold/unfold toggle. My next step if the power is there would be to hit he junk yards to get the 2 pin led connectors with wires to solder into the mirror connector for the led side covers or buy complete mirror assemblies and paint the covers black if I couldn't find silver.
Welcome. You may wish to post an intro thread in the New Members Forum area.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Hi FL Soul,

I believe I'm too late to tell you that, wiring for repeater light comes by default in all models (at list I have it in mine, even if I don't have actual repeater itself). No need to go all the way to the front head lights, just use the power from Side mirror itself. Check the bundle which is compatible to side mirror from inside.

Good luck
Soul 2014
Welcome. You may wish to post an intro thread in the New Members Forum area.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't suppose anyone knows what wires to tap into in the power mirror harness that is inside my heated power mirror to make the LED light blink and ground it?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
To make it blink, you'd run your wire from the headlight blinker. For ground, one of the wires for the heated element is your ground. Once you run your blinker wire, it would be a cake to figure out which one is the ground using a multimeter.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i'm going to have to go to the headlights as I thought.

One wire to the blinker and one wire to a ground. Just need to know which one is the mysterious blinker wire on each side.

Trying to make time to work on this by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Well, how many wires total do you have on your + door connector? I've only seen the connector for the base, and mine had 5 wires.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts