Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purely because of vanity I am not sure If my little car likes the trailer hitch I put on her. It seems to hang a little low and sticks out too far for her liking and I agree. It was added only for a bike rack to accommodate a wheel-carrying bicycle rack and I think the strap on type looked better. An option I am considering is shorten the receiver tube by 5 or 6 inches which would tuck it under more and make it less noticeable. Opinions please.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
No, it's good length. Anything shorter and you won't be able to clear the bumper with our rack or other attachments. Nothing about trailer hitches is pretty, strictly utilitarian. You may add a cute cap, or something like this.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
No, it's good length. Anything shorter and you won't be able to clear the bumper with our rack or other attachments. Nothing about trailer hitches is pretty, strictly utilitarian. You may add a cute cap
Yeah, like this:

If you look close, you'll see my Soul in the reflection :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
And shortening it might cause structural issues. Carrying a bike is not high stress but still...
Just the opposite. The longer the lever, the more torsional stress on the mount to the frame. I still dont like the look but I am too busy to do anything right now anyway. I am building a barn for my daughters goats and chickens and . . .

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Just the opposite. The longer the lever, the more torsional stress on the mount to the frame. I still dont like the look but I am too busy to do anything right now anyway. I am building a barn for my daughters goats and chickens and . . .
You're right about that but unless you aren't planning on carrying a bike hanger any more, the accessory hitch is going to reintroduce that leverage even if you shorten it as it has to clear the back hatch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts