Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yeah...I know...hope he knows what he's doing... well after going back and forth whether to buy the spoiler and do it without drilling or leave well enough alone, I pulled the trigger and went ahead and ordered it. Purchased it on EBay from a company here in the US, so it came inside of a week. Upon opening the box and inspecting it, was very pleased with the quality of the piece, the paint matched perfectly and it appeared to be a perfect fit... so put it away and waited for the warmer weather to arrive to apply it.

Warmer temps arrived this week... 70's today...so it was time to sh*t or get off the pot. Why not drill you ask...especially since the instructions say to drill. Well. have to understand theres this cloud that follows me when I attempt this modding thing... sometimes behaves itself and does nothing...all goes well..and then other times this dark cloud opens the pandoras box and a messload of trouble makes me wish I never got started with the project in the first place. So drilling into the car needless to say is almost a guarantee this is not an opportunity the cloud will let pass without some mishap.

Now i did read here somewhere about someone who like me really didn't want to drill either and went the 3M route...from his thread it gave me hope that maybe it could work so I ordered the spoiler. Picked up the tape this week as the weeks forecast showed the time to do had finally arrived...and the tools needed to do this so called simple project...

As you can see...spoiler comes with tape already outlining the outer edging...

and then it was time to add the tape...overkill maybe but....

biggest problem with these stick em on things...you pretty much get one shot...so you gotta make sure you line it up just right... once on...press...press...press some more...figure about a minutes worth...

and thats all it took... simple enough... never saw the cloud either.... probably waiting for me along the highway so when it loses it stick and goes bouncing down the highway.... nope...going to think positive.

On a more serious note...the tape is supposed to be able to work for these kind of projects...the spoiler itself is pretty lite...and using as much as I did...I really do feel confident it will work... and if I tell myself that 10 times a day for 6 months..who know's... maybe I'll actually begin to believe it will work...but whatever happens now, happens... its on...looks good.... easy enough to occasionally check...say a few prayers... maybe even go so far as to throw a few extra pieces of that green paper in the plate on sunday...hey...take whatever reassurance I can get...well...will keep you posted on how it holds up...

one last thing...wonder if maybe a few drops of Gorilla Glue....nevermind........

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
3-M tape is widely used to mount body parts such as the OP'S rear spoiler.
I've used it many times.
There are different grades of 3-M tape. The heavy duty tape as used in the
OP's great post should do nicely for this type of piece. I use a 3-M tape that
is specifically designed for auto use,mounting of side molding,scoops etc.
It's called 3-M acrylic plus attachment tape.Part #06382.
Its black not grey. It is only available at auto paint supply stores.

Important steps in successful installation are:
-clean the mounting surface thoroughly with rubbing alcohol
-heat the tape a bit with a hairdryer before mounting.
-The OP is correct,test fit the piece BEFORE removing the protective backing.
Make some pilot marks on masking tape surrounding the piece to aide in aligning.
Once the piece is position,it cannot be moved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How good are those tapes in hot weather? My car is parked outdoors throughout the year and I am just wondering what the hot weather will do to the tape. Would the tape lose its ability to hold the spoiler and the same time prevent it from popping out on the highway?

·
Registered
847 Posts
They are made to be in the hot and cold weather. No worries.

Mark

How good are those tapes in hot weather? My car is parked outdoors throughout the year and I am just wondering what the hot weather will do to the tape. Would the tape lose its ability to hold the spoiler and the same time prevent it from popping out on the highway?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Heat is a friend to these tapes.
No problem.
Actually,there is another adhesive made by 3-M that is far superior.It is called, 3-M 468 MP high
performance adhesive. It comes in sheets rather than a roll. Also,it is a film rather than the thicker
gummy tape. If both pieces are plumb,meet exactly,this adhesive provides a PERMANENT bond.
You will not find it at Home Depot and other like stores. It is a professional adhesive much the same as
a contact cement. I use it to bond carbon fiber pieces.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
When I put my spoiler on, it was designed to be taped and had 3M body tape already applied. But it also had the option to drill and bolt to the hatch.

It has these two hooks that latch onto the hatch and the tape just basically holds it down to the top of the hatch, pretty much fool proof and wouldn't come off unless you lifted it up off the hatch.

But, it was winter time, and you are supposed to use special cleaner and a 3M Activator wipe on the car (which it came with) and all that jazz. I just said screw it, pulled the little covers from inside the hatch and drilled it. I had it bolted onto the car in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When I put my spoiler on, it was designed to be taped and had 3M body tape already applied. But it also had the option to drill and bolt to the hatch.

It has these two hooks that latch onto the hatch and the tape just basically holds it down to the top of the hatch, pretty much fool proof and wouldn't come off unless you lifted it up off the hatch.

But, it was winter time, and you are supposed to use special cleaner and a 3M Activator wipe on the car (which it came with) and all that jazz. I just said screw it, pulled the little covers from inside the hatch and drilled it. I had it bolted onto the car in 5 minutes.
Appears that you purchased a spoiler that had all the stuff needed for a efficient and lasting install.
Apparently there are numerous companies other than the OEM spoiler that offer the piece.
Pretty common with other vehicle body parts. Over the years I have installed many body add ons.
Some companies offer pre-painted. Some do not.In addition,many come with pre-applied attachment tape
positioned in the correct areas.With others,a small roll may be in the package for the buyer to install.
Some will have no tape. Probably be cheaper...
I sure would use the adhesion activator when installing any exterior part.3-M calls this,Automotive Adhesion Promoter.
Part # 06396. You can get at auto paint stores.This product looks a bit like a handi-wipe pack.Its a very thin
sponge like material saturated in solution that acts as a catalyst in the bonding process. For any part that is
in the weather/sun ,I use the promother.
The piece will be "welded" on.
Of course,if you are drilling holes,bolting,the extra steps in bonding may not be necessary.
I sure would do e'm anyway.
For a tape only install,using the promoter is a must.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so 2 weeks after the install...all seems well..take the soul to the car wash twice a week and no issues there not that I really anticipated any...hopefully tape method will hold up.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Checking it periodically is probably a good idea.
The factory ones are hardly factory at all since they are commonly done at the port by god knows who.
The beauty of drilling is that even if you muff up, you can simply plug the hole and go the tape route if need be.
I think drilling makes all a bit queasy/uneasy but at least there is no danger of the spoiler flying of at the supersonic speeds our souls are capable of!
I think using the thicker tape is a better choice than the thinner film b.t.w. to allow for voids and irregularities that the spoiler may have since it's production quality may vary.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alot of, if not all of my cosmetic dressings, it seems have been applied with the pieces coming with the tape applied to them so its pretty much peel & stick... I initially keep an eye on them for the first few days to make sure they adhered well.Think the most important thing to remember is following the advice of the instructions for the installer to apply when outside temps are best suitable, usually over 50 degrees outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts