Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok in my ongoing quest to improve my base soul.. After doing the mod-switch out of steering wheels i do now have cruise control and control of my sirius/mp3 radio..

ok since i have all the buttons on the wheel including those for making phone calls i bought a sirius/mp3/bluetooth head unit and swapped it out.. Wha laa everything worked/linked my iphone 6/ playe music / made phone call except......No microphone in a base 12 soul! hmm

Ok what i need ot=r guidence on does anyone know what 2 wire (i assume) are the pinouts on the oem connector.. what i hope to do is add an aftermarket mic to the rig.

Has anyone done this..

Any help is appreciated..thanks and happy new year

-rich
:****sure:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't know if wiring into the steering wheel will work in this application. There is a need for something to turn the mike on and cancel out the radio. Most likely this control is in the head unit. Could be that a Blue Tooth connection to the phone electronically takes care of this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if wiring into the steering wheel will work in this application. There is a need for something to turn the mike on and cancel out the radio. Most likely this control is in the head unit. Could be that a Blue Tooth connection to the phone electronically takes care of this.
Thanks for the reply.. its missing the microphone completely. just wanting to find the correct wires off the unit to wire in my own mic. have confirmed that all the buttons do work on the wheel. Hard to find a wiring schematic for these things lol

-rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rich, you may have better luck wiring it from the head unit back to the steering wheel. Schematic for the head unit might be easier to find. Is there a jack on the back of the head unit for a mike? Plug a mike into the jack, cut the hot wire and wire it into the steering wheel. This would leave the hot wire open, requiring a wire back and forth to the switch. Yeah, I know, what wires on the steering wheel?! And if there is more then one wire, then what? Only suggestion is to take off the covers on the steering wheel to the point where you can see the wires coming out of the control on the wheel. Watch out for the air bag and it's wires, you don't want to set that thing off!

Who makes the head unit, maybe I can find something out that would help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wiring schematic would be the ticket. If i knew which 2 pins out i could tap them and try it.

Wiring to the steering wheel is all there. USA models use the same clock spring so even though it was a base model everything works as it should with the cruise control included.

Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd still try to take the cover off the control on the steering wheel to find out what two wires come from it. They should remain the same colors after the clock spring.
Have you asked a KIA dealer if they would make you a copy of the wire diagram for the steering wheel?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just need to know the pin outs from the back of the stereo unit (head unit) there are 2 pins plus-minus mic input. those are the 2 i'm trying to locate.

-thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok for what its worth.... Hooked up an external mic to the original harness.. The connector on the right bottom of the radio (connector b) pin 10 (positive mic) pin 22 (negative mic) spliced in an old new mic i had from another radio conversion and whaaa laaa works like a champ with my iphone 6 plus. make and end call from the steering wheel no problem.. Well what that means is i have a base soul.. with the exclaim options for a fraction of the cost!

got the schematic from a sister forum.
http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/attachments/entertainment-audio-navigation-electronics/5071d1332124772-standard-radio-wiring-optima-radio-wiring-diagram.jpg

for those who want there she lives..

-rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts