Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a dual channel dash camera installed in my 2008 Rondo that has a constant on power port in the cargo area. When I was about to install the same dual channel camera on my 2015 Soul, I found none of the power port is constant on which is essential for parking mode recording. On the other hand, having a device plugged into a constant on power port may drain the battery. To solve these 2 issues, I added a fused line and a battery discharge prevention device.
To add the fused line, I just get a Micro2 fuse tap from Amazon. You may also get it from ebay. 2015 Soul uses Micro2 fuses, so make sure you order the correct one. This is the one that I got.
Next, you will need the battery discharge prevention device. There are more than half a dozen available in the market that have different voltage cut off or timer setting. I went for a cheaper one at Amazon. It works fine. If you want to use the timer function, you do need 2 fuse taps.
Next is quite straight forward. Locate the fuse box under the steering wheel. I use the power seat 20A fuse as constant power source. Make sure you plug in the fuse tap in a direction as shown on the attachment. Connect the yellow wire from the Discharge Prevention box and tape to secure it. For the ground wire, buy a hex nut M6 1.0 and that would fit the threaded pole on the left side of the fuse panel. Use the nut to fix the ground wire there as shown on the first attachment. Sorry that the photo is very fuzzy, but you would not miss that once you opened the fuse box. Now you may connect the cable socket to the Discharge Prevention Device and it is ready to go. To add the time function, add the second fuse tap to the Power Outlet 1 or 2 fuse on the upper left corner of the panel. Then connect the red wire to it. The timer will cut off the power at the set time after shutting down the engine. This is optional as the power will be cut off when voltage dropped below setting even without the second wire connection. I hide the whole thing behind the plastic panel under the steering wheel. Now it is all set and you can plug in whatever you want. Note that the fuse came with the fuse tap is 5A.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Tourist....

Thank you for the post, because I wish to do the same thing, or at least similar.

However, I have a 2013 Soul and it does not have power seats.

Can you suggest a different fuse, that would be HOT all the time?

Thank you,
TechnoMage :cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Addendum:

Ok, I'm taking a chance that the little adapter will fit in my own Fuse Box. I just hope I can find a fuse socket with constant power. :)
One way or another, I'll make it fit.

I did pick a different unit though..... the "Littelfuse FHA200BP @ $5.42. Using my discount points $.99 = final price $4.43 with FREE Shipping.*

* You can get many added benefits from Amazon, when you open a charge account. Free shipping is just one.

But, do be careful of where your order is shipping from. I recently ordered several PS2 to USB adapters and I didn't notice that they will ship from China.
Estimated delivery time....ONE MONTH. So if you want something quick, make sure it will ship from your own country.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just make sure it uses the same kind of fuse. 2014/2015 Soul uses micro2 fuses. Some earlier Kia use Mini fuses. You will need to get the corresponding type of fuse tap. The one you purchased seems to be a full size ATO fuse tap. That's why I emphasized you need to order the correct one on the original post. Also, I don't recommend hiding that Multi Safer box inside the fuse chamber. The blinking lights are informative. I will leave it in a visible area. For constant power, you may consider power door lock or parking light. Those should remain on when you shut off the engine. It does not really matter on the original fuse load. You are adding the new fused line in parallel (if you plug it in the correct orientation) not serial. Anyway, you should always have a volt meter handy to make sure you are connecting it properly.
When it is in parallel, you will see power from the tapped line only when you put a fuse to the new line (and leave blank on the other fuse position).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found the price for the Multi Safer fluctuates a lot. When I purchased mine, it was around $20. It is now at $35 which is around the same price as the Power Magic Pro.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've been helping my neighbor install a new Stereo in his Pickup truck and he's added a really serious AMP to the mix.
The power line to the AMP is a 6Ga wire with a fuse holder in it that bolts on to the engine compartment wall.
One end of the wire connects directly to the battery and the other one to the Power AMP.

I think I'm going to do something similar to get raw battery power to my Ham Radio and RF Amplifier.
I've done many such hook-ups in years past, even to a 1000 watt RF AMP, that needed 4-0 welding cable for power wires.
That was in a PeterBuilt. And in that case, the battery(s) were 8D's.

If the little fuse bypass thingy I ordered won't fit, I'll put it up for auction. lol

Cheers Mates!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts