Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a question about a problem but I was just wondering how many of you guy's, or girls use the "Active ECO" on your Soul's? I'm almost afraid to push the button. Thanks! Don

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use mine constantly; it basically changes the transmission's shift points so that you spend more time in higher gear, which is more efficient but loses out on acceleration. I've also heard that it changes the AC/heat system settings slightly so that you spend less power on them, but as my AC is always on the minimum setting anyhow (even in Florida! The Soul's a cool car in the literal sense, too, especially if you've got a highly-heat-reflective paint color like Dune or White), I can't speak to that directly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now that I'm through the initial break-in of the engine I use it for city driving. I generally leave it off for the freeway in case I need quick acceleration.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
This is not a question about a problem but I was just wondering how many of you guy's, or girls use the "Active ECO" on your Soul's? I'm almost afraid to push the button. Thanks! Don
I just push the button for the first time on my last tank fillup (waited till I passed the 1000 km break-in period) to see what it did and make sure it was working of course. You can feel the difference in some cases but for our type of driving nothing that dramatic. What I like, is the fact is does not kick-off when you shut off the engine only when you push the button again, so you don't have to remember to push it each time you drive. Going to see if I notice much difference in the fuel mpg when I fill up next. This is only my third fill up so haven't travelled too far.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I leave mine on all the time. I've noticed a 1mpg difference on the few fill ups I've done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I pushed the ECO button just before I got home one day. A couple of days later I fired up the car and headed off to work, forgetting the Eco was still on. I soon realized something bad must have happened to my car, it acted like the motor had lost half it's cylinders, I had to push the throttle pretty hard to get it to accelerate. I looked for a check engine light, wondering what was wrong. Once I noticed the Eco light, I pushed the button and voila, my car was normal again.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I pushed the ECO button just before I got home one day. A couple of days later I fired up the car and headed off to work, forgetting the Eco was still on. I soon realized something bad must have happened to my car, it acted like the motor had lost half it's cylinders, I had to push the throttle pretty hard to get it to accelerate. I looked for a check engine light, wondering what was wrong. Once I noticed the Eco light, I pushed the button and voila, my car was normal again.
Now there's a testimonial that's gonna make me want to use it! ;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I know the feeling PrarieSoul. I don't like the ECO shift patterns, as they want to upshift too soon and then bog the engine down and end up downshifting again. Seems like a lot of extra wear and tear on the tranny and I don't see any difference in mileage. Then, if you DO need some quick acceleration, there is a delay waiting for tranny to downshift and get with it! In my opinion the Soul 6 speed automatic shifts darn near perfectly. It will respond to very delicate foot action, yet hold the gear for a slight incline and upshift quickly when on a downhill or low load situation. I can honestly say this is my favorite transmission EVER. Of all the cars/trucks I've ever owned, I rate this one Superb! Well Done, Kia engineering!!
I think if you drive with a light foot, you won't see any benefit with ECO. If you have a heavier foot driving style, you might find it saves you some gas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The car just feels so responsive compared to my previous Cobalt it does feel like a let-down when in ECO mode. However the fuel economy so far is less than the Cobalt so I do plan on trying the ECO again next summer to see if it does improve my back and forth to work fuel economy. But since I bought the car because of how it feels to drive compared to the Cobalt I am not going to spend a lot of time in ECO to save 1 or 2 mpg.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Driving around town is really the only time you will see a benefit of the ECO mode , which I have been using recently . I have noticed 1-1.5 mpg increase using it .... as we all know it is shifting the transmission sooner than normal keeping the revs down , which do make the shifts seem more seamless .... That said you can still take off with enough throttle that it does'nt bog down , and to me it seems to float smoothly though all the gears without hardly feeling it shift .... Also , what may sometimes feel like a down shift on a hill is not exactly a down shift , it is actually the torque converter unlocking , no matter what mode you're in

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Lol ....eco mode doesnt change anything in or on the car ...its just a light that comes on when you are driving the most economically that you can . If you can keep it lit by driving easy 75% of the time (not hard to do) you should see 1.5-2 mpg increase over it only being lit 25% of the time or less .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lol ....eco mode doesnt change anything in or on the car ...its just a light that comes on when you are driving the most economically that you can . If you can keep it lit by driving easy 75% of the time (not hard to do) you should see 1.5-2 mpg increase over it only being lit 25% of the time or less .
That's in the pre-'12 models. The 2012's have a button over the radio that you push that changes the shift points, etc, as discussed above. The OP has a 2012 Soul+, so the discussion is about that type of ECO, not the old-style light that says "you're now driving with a light foot."

·
Registered
138 Posts
We are on our 2nd tank of gas. This time we have the ECO on for 100% of the useage of the car. Not sure how it will or won't effect anything, yet. Have to wait to check on the gas mileage and see about that. 1st tank was used for mainly in-town driving and no use at all of the ECO. This time we are leaving the ECO on and mileage will be a mix of in-town and highway by the time we refill. First 2 tannks were with 87 Octane. My wife has not mentioned any difference in the feel of shifting with the ECO left on. It is her car and so far, she has not let me drive it at all. :-( She is heavy footed though, so hopefully we will see some gas mileage changes for improvement. Something not mentioned is the fact that the ECO may actually prolong the transmission life. Not sure and only a guess by me, but that may possibly be an advantage for use in the long run.

UPDATE ON 2/9/12: We filled up with our 2nd tank of gas, yesterday. We put in 10.192 gal. & had driven 286 miles prior to the fillup. Our drive speed averaged 75 MPH on the trip. MGG was 28.061 for this 2nd tank of gas. ECO was keep on the entire time of driving since last fillup done.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I turned on ActiveEco at about 1500 miles (at just over 4000 now) and haven't turned it off - I see no reason to. It improves the gas mileage, keeps the engine noise WAY down by limiting the time the engine spends at higher revs and the car is still plenty peppy with it active.

The 2.0 liter engine has enough torque to pull the higher gears chosen by ActiveEco without too much trouble.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The car just feels so responsive compared to my previous Cobalt it does feel like a let-down when in ECO mode. However the fuel economy so far is less than the Cobalt so I do plan on trying the ECO again next summer to see if it does improve my back and forth to work fuel economy. But since I bought the car because of how it feels to drive compared to the Cobalt I am not going to spend a lot of time in ECO to save 1 or 2 mpg.
What transmissions were in your Slowbalt and Soul?

I too traded in a Slowbalt (Pontiac G5) for a Soul, both with manual transmissions, and the mileage so far has been nearly identical. I got between 28-31 MPG with the G5, and I'm on my second tank with the Soul. First tank was 31.8 MPG and this tank so far is averaging 31.6 MPG.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What transmissions were in your Slowbalt and Soul?

I too traded in a Slowbalt (Pontiac G5) for a Soul, both with manual transmissions, and the mileage so far has been nearly identical. I got between 28-31 MPG with the G5, and I'm on my second tank with the Soul. First tank was 31.8 MPG and this tank so far is averaging 31.6 MPG.
Automatic transmissions in both. I only have 3000 miles on the Soul so a real comparison can't be made yet and checking gas mileage during our winters does introduce a lot of variables. I do drive around 70 mph on the highway so the aerodynamics of the Soul will make it tough to reach the mpg of the Cobalt.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts