Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

i drive a 2012 base green Kia Soul and i live in the hot state of Texas.

I frequently do a 330 mile drive back and fourth to Dallas and I have a few questions about the active ECO feature on my Soul. I know that active ECO is supposed to be used in cities, but what about interstates where speeds are 70-80 MPH?

I have noticed that i get a 3 MPG increase whenever I am doing 69 MPH with active eco on and the air conditioner on option 1, but is that wearing down my Soul? I remember a commenter a while back saying that driving in ECO wears down your tranny or something?

My driving specifications;
69 mph
Cruise set
Active ECO on
A/C set on cold at 1
2,900 Rpm
88F outside

is it wearing down my engine or messing up my Soul that I drive in ACTIVE ECO mode at highway speeds?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nope, at least I don't think so.

Active ECO modulates your accelerator pedal inputs, and upshifts gears early on for efficiency reasons (lower RPM + higher gear = more efficient) so only your acceleration is affected. Hence the sluggish/faster starts when comparing ECO on/off

If ECO mode is on when you've already reached highway speeds, I don't think it will have any effect on MPG or transmission if you're cruising on a level surface.
If you hit an uphill region while on cruise control, your transmission may be slow to change gears to re-accelerate (to a lower gear, higher RPM) since it's in ECO mode.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts