Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for this but found nada. Maybe I am the only guy hating on Active Echo?

I started to notice that the car was hesitating and even feeling like it was skipping cylinder firing. Started off like a sleepy dog and didnt get better until at or after 40mph. Also the tranny wants to shift up way too far for the speed Im going probably causing the "duh" performance. Then it down shifts like I used to as a 14 year old motorcycle driver- hard! Whats with that? The 4 wheel disc brakes should not need that help!

Just as a lark I hit the Echo button OFF and an amazing transformation took place! The little Hamster Green Bean has guts! It goes smooth and the transmission shifts properly when you think it should. It doesnt do any of that forced downshift way too soon either.

So is the real reason for Echo to tick me off; or is this someones idea of how to boost mpg numbers; or is it broke? Is their any real difference has anyone noticed ? Does Echo make enough difference to put up with it?

Inquiring minds wish to know!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
It's Active Eco.

If you have an Echo then you have a problem
.................then you have a problem.................then you have a problem

Sorry no experience of Active Eco 'cos it's not on our 2011, but when I have it in Eco mode (most of the time) I don't really notice any difference. I'm not a hyper-miler either, so I never check the actual consumption.........it is what it is.

If you search on "Active Eco System Kia Soul" you'll find tons of info.

FROM KIA'S POWERTRAIN DEPARTMENT:

Active Eco System The Active Eco System proactively controls parts of the engine, transmission and air condition system to realize optimal fuel economy. The Active Eco System raises fuel economy by minimizing fuel consumption from unnecessary acceleration, limiting the torque from rising when accelerating and optimizing the AC compressor’s duration of operation. Tests show that the Active Eco System enhances fuel economy by around 11%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFyD7NHDbUA

http://kia-buzz.com/eco-driving-system/

http://www.kisouman.com/active_eco_system-675.html

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems/11490-active-eco.html

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I only turn on my ECO button when I am on a prolonged, flat highway at a sustained speed. I do not turn it on while driving around town. Why, you ask? Well i don't like the loss of power on take offs in congested areas, I don't like the shift points, they unnerve me somewhat, and I don't see a difference in the gas mileage with or without it driving around town. Just MHO.

·
Registered
388 Posts
with a short term test (one tank full with it on, and one tank full with it off), I didn't notice any difference in MPG's. But I'm still working on a long term test (going to do sets of 10) so I can't say for certain.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Shaggy, Thank you tunder! What Shag said is exactly what I was experiencing. Around town at less than 40 it is just a drudge. I am happier now knowing I can leave it off around the area and not suffer large mpg loss.

Thanks!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
tried it for a couple of tank fulls and didn't notice much improvement, wife noticed the difference in how the vehicle reacted (and that's saying something) so turned it off and haven't bothered since.
However, out of curiosity I did try it on the highway on a substantial stretch on the 401 (interstate type highway here in Ontario) over about a 10-15 km stretch with basically the same terrain using cruise control and at 110 kmph with the Active Eco on and then with it off - resetting the Average each time. With it on I was using about .7L/100 km more fuel, so as far as I'm concerned its only suitable for city or low speed driving, if you can live with the reduce power - just not worth it to me so it stays off!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
me too, me too,me too,me too-just not worth it-glad its off.:mask:

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have been using ours for a couple of fill-ups now and have found that we get close to a 3mpg increase versus having it disengaged. Every little bit helps IMO especially for commuting purposes. If I take her out for a weekend ride through the mountains then I'll turn it off, but otherwise I think it works fairly well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My driving style (poorly suited to high MPGs, I like to use the throttle!) and the terrain I live in (mountains mountains mountains) are not conducive to the Eco mode on my 2014. With it on I feel like I was constantly giving it more throttle to force it to downshift where neccessary. I did see a drop of 1-2 MPGs with it on so mostly I leave it off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
here is how i do mine.... Once I get on the highway and hit Cruise Control I also hit the ECO button.... I tend to forget I even have it on sometimes... but I will turn it off if I'm trying to get out in heavy traffic or need a little more pep in the Soul Keeper (name changed during the World Cup).... and I also use the sport shifting some....so I can sorta select my shift points

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I first got the Soul I made an honest effort to try the eco mode. I figured it might make some decent mileage and I would live with the performance loss. I did that for 2 weeks (1000km of daily commute driving).
I then switched to the normal mode, and I loved the car. The little car was responsive and still had some guts. I feel it makes it slow to respond and I am sure I ended up flooring the car more in eco mode to get it to do what I want.
And the acutal mileage difference was 0. I'll never got back.

My wife did the same thing, but she made it 1 day before switching back. She did not care about mileage, just that the car was "gutless" on eco mode.

I was hoping it would help the dismal mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts