Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Few weeks ago, I started noticing a moldy wet carpet smell on the drivers side. For the winter, I had put down wider rubber car mats over the carpet mats in hopes to protect things better. I pulled out both mats on that side and sure enough, part of the carpet mat was smelling. Scrubbed it down at the car wash and let air dry outside for a few days. The next wet day we got, BAM! The smell came back. I don't remember if the carpet may was back in the car yet or nor.

I have no idea what to do. I had vacuumed it and tried to dry out even the actual carpet in case there was something more wet than the mat, but obviously something didn't work.

Someone told me to FeBreze it but that won't take care of the root of the problem.

My husband said we aren't going to completely dry it until winter is over (Michigan), but I don't want this to get worse.

Any ideas? I am not savvy enough to take the actual carpet out and I certainly don't trust my husband to do it. Can't other ideas to this?! FWIW, the smell is stronger when the heat is on just the FLOOR setting, but that's probably expected?

Appreciate input!

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
it could be a faulty drain on the Air con that is keeping the carpet wet. Do a search on here as its been reported several times. The main concern is to establish if the car is leaking from the outside or not first.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
AC probably isn't running in Michigan at this time of the year.

If it were me, I would take my not used in the winter de-humidifier out of my basement, set it in the back of the Soul and let it run while I was parked in the garage over night.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Its good to run the AC all year round, it lubricates the AC motor itself, and the fact that it dries the air in the car helps with window demisting and drying.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Its good to run the AC all year round, it lubricates the AC motor itself, and the fact that it dries the air in the car helps with window demisting and drying.
At a certain temperature threshold, the A/C compressor will not even turn on. I am not certain what that temperature is on the Soul, but most GM cars it's either 20F or 25F and the compressor will not kick in. My previous car, a Chrysler with auto climate control was the same way.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Tempest is correct the a/c kicks on automatically when you select defrost and it helps in removing moisture from the air.

However, carrie640 you could remove a bit of the sill trim on the drivers side just to lift the carpet a bit and see underneath to see if any moisure is there. dmwagner's suggestion about the dehumidifer sounds like a very good idea too, or a small electric heater on overnight in the drivers footwell area.

Not necessary the problem but have you checked the inside air filter behind the glovebox to make sure that is clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts