Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago the Air-conditioning would stop blowing cold, just hot air, and in southern Arizona it’s definitely Hot air. I was able to pull over and found the Compressor clutch was not engaged. Since then, this has happened 15 or more times. I made a test wire that I could hook a Voltage Meter too and was able to verify power would stop coming from the harness/Trigger wire from the firewall going to the compressor. When the power would stop coming from the trigger wire, I tried hooking up a separate jumper wire from the battery positive and the compressor clutch would then engage.
What I was able to observe was when starting the vehicle, there was no power going to the compressor for about 3 to 4 seconds then the wire would get power and the compressor clutch would engage, this I assume is how the system is supposed to work. But after driving for maybe an hour the power would just go away, and now it doesn’t come back unless the vehicle sits turned off for 10 minutes or more. My guess is the 3 to 4 second “Wait/Delay” is failing and cutting power later on. Does anyone know if there is a relay or some other component that controls this system? 2011 Soul 2.0 plus model, automatic, production date 12/2010. Thank you

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If the system is low*, the pressure switch won’t let ac compressor turn on, or if it’s just a little too low it might not come on when it’s really hot out.

You need a set of AC manifold gauges to test the pressures. AC charging is best left to a shop, but in a pinch you could try one of the cans of refrigerant you can buy in the store with the little gauge on top, but they are not very accurate.

*If the AC system has never been serviced it isn’t unusual to lose a little refrigerant over time. And often times the high/low schrader valve seals is where it will slowly leak out.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The A/C clutch is controlled by the engine computer the PCM. Great job on your test set up to verify that you are actually losing power. If you have or can get a scanner that will show data you will see that there is data in the PCM that tells you what the PCM is seeing and whether it wants to operate the compressor clutch or not. The A/C related data will tell you if the PCM sees the A/C request (pretty sure you're good there as it turns it on), it will see the pressure from the inline transducer and it will show you if the PCM is or isn't requesting the clutch to be on. Basically chances are that it sees the pressure too low or loses the signal if the pressure switch is bad and it shuts off power to the clutch.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
So I don't see that many 1st gen Souls so wasn't sure if the data looks like the later generations. I had one in today with the Beta 2.0 old school engine and can only see like 75 data points vs 200 on a 2nd gen. I was chasing a misfire (was just a bad spark plug cable) but I took a screenshot of the AC data and what it looks like on a 1st gen soul with the old school motor. I didn't see the AC pressure on there but maybe it is in another module as there is definitely a pressure sensor, all the other generations have it right there with the other AC info. The trick would be to drive around with this data pulled up live and you could see the moment the PCM turns off the clutch and a similar test set up to what you did could be probed into the pressure sensor. One other but very rare failure is the evaporator temperature sensor. If it thinks the evaporator is too cold it will cut the clutch off as well. One simple way to test it is to just pull the sensor out of the evaporator when it acts up. The evaporator temp sensor is down by the passenger footwell

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I don't see that many 1st gen Souls so wasn't sure if the data looks like the later generations. I had one in today with the Beta 2.0 old school engine and can only see like 75 data points vs 200 on a 2nd gen. I was chasing a misfire (was just a bad spark plug cable) but I took a screenshot of the AC data and what it looks like on a 1st gen soul with the old school motor. I didn't see the AC pressure on there but maybe it is in another module as there is definitely a pressure sensor, all the other generations have it right there with the other AC info. The trick would be to drive around with this data pulled up live and you could see the moment the PCM turns off the clutch and a similar test set up to what you did could be probed into the pressure sensor. One other but very rare failure is the evaporator temperature sensor. If it thinks the evaporator is too cold it will cut the clutch off as well. One simple way to test it is to just pull the sensor out of the evaporator when it acts up. The evaporator temp sensor is down by the passenger footwell
Ok, I have a scanner but I don’t recall seeing any option to check the AC. It appears the first thing would be to have the AC checked for proper charging. In regards to the evaporator temperature sensor, it sounds like its accessible from the outside, i.e., you don’t need to take the evaporator case apart, if I can’t find it, I may take a picture of that area so it can be pointed out.

·
Registered
2011 Soul, 2.0 Auto +
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The AC data is in the engine data as the PCM is what controls it.
The diagram definitely helps, I removed the Crash Pad lower panel, but didn’t need to remove a Shower duct, I was able to find the sensor, it is removable by turning it about a quarter turn. But I’m not sure I understand how the test or diagnosis of this part is determined? Is removing it supposed to let it warm up outside of the evaporator case such that it is not getting any cooling? If so, I doubt it’s the issue, the problem has gotten to the point where the AC stops for the rest of the drive time. On my last drive it stopped putting power to the Compressor and the power didn’t come back on for the remainder of my drive home. And this drive was about 35 minutes. Plus, the air coming out was about 103 degrees (I have a temperature gauge in the vent). I have scheduled an AC check at a local franchise shop for tomorrow (Friday).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts