Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
55 Posts
I'm about to start a new thread about the EX, having a bit of buyers regret, fortunately it's a lease. Running into some issues.
For EX owners, have you had any issues with the neck rests. I just discovered you can't move them backwards or forwards. I found my LX 2018 much more comfortable. Anyone else having this issue?
I'm about to start a new thread about the EX, having a bit of buyers regret, fortunately it's a lease. Running into some issues.
For EX owners, have you had any issues with the neck rests. I just discovered you can't move them backwards or forwards. I found my LX 2018 much more comfortable. Anyone else having this issue?

No, I'm not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[/QUOTe
I thought you were going to start a thread on buyers remorse in the EX. 😀?
i have an EX Eco and am thoroughly enjoying it. Unfortunately, I picked it up March 2, 16 days befor the state shut down, so I only have about 1200 miles on it. I have found it very comfortabl. Much more so that my previous Kia, a 2011 Forte EX. The drivers seat with its multiple adjustments is much more comfortable and its lumbar support works for my sore back. Im 6’7” tall. And this car fits me to a “T”.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I did start a new thread ;) Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks and the upgrades, even the 'nannies', But at least for me, I found the 2018 more comfortable, I sat up higher, and have discovered the headrest rest (I'm 5' 6"), the way it sits pushes my neck forward in a very awkward way. Having discovered that while the head rests go up/down, it doesn't go backwards and forwards.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
470 Posts
I did start a new thread ;) Don't get me wrong, I love the way it looks and the upgrades, even the 'nannies', But at least for me, I found the 2018 more comfortable, I sat up higher, and have discovered the neck rest (I'm 5' 6"), the way it sits pushes my neck forward in a very awkward way. Having discovered that while the neck rests go up/down, it doesn't go backwards and forwards.
Deleting the other thread made me think I was having another senior moment. 🤪 😩 🤭

A cheap solution to the fact that the headrests don't move back-and-forth would be to buy a headrest pillow that you can attach with a velcro strap. Plenty to be had on Amazon for around $10. I was going to buy one myself until I figured out that our 2014 Plus had that feature. Kind of crappy when they upgrade by taking away useful features. Now just don't look above your head and door when in the driver's seat and see what else Kia decided to "upgrade" on the Gen3 Souls. 🤤

On the other hand you have many standard safety features that I would love to have, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Deleting the other thread made me think I was having another senior moment. 🤪 😩 🤭

A cheap solution to the fact that the headrests don't move back-and-forth would be to buy a headrest pillow that you can attach with a velcro strap. Plenty to be had on Amazon for around $10. I was going to buy one myself until I figured out that our 2014 Plus had that feature. Kind of crappy when they upgrade by taking away useful features. Now just don't look above your head and door when in the driver's seat and see what else Kia decided to "upgrade" on the Gen3 Souls. 🤤

On the other hand you have many standard safety features that I would love to have, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword.
Thanks for the feedback, and I will try something that supports the neck, I'm sure I'll find a solution eventually ;) Yes, sometimes with each new upgrade they don't include features that one may miss in a previous model! The safety features are great, I know it can be annoying to many, but I do have the option of turning any of them off. You have the sunroof though, I miss that, I used to have one in a used car I owned, the 2002 Saturn V6, peppy lil silver car I bought from a Kindergarten teacher for 3.5k had it for 10 years!

·
Registered
470 Posts
You have the sunroof though, I miss that, I used to have one in a used car I owned, the 2002 Saturn V6, peppy lil silver car I bought from a Kindergarten teacher for 3.5k had it for 10 years!
Yep, but it's an aftermarket sunroof and not a panoramic one. Still love it though. Somehow it didn't make it onto the dealer's sticker and our salesman didn't notice it until he walked us to the car after the sale. We kind of lucked out there and it's our first sunroof. 😁

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try removing the headrest and see how that feels. Just press the button in and lift the headrest out.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Try removing the headrest and see how that feels. Just press the button in and lift the headrest out.
Isn't that a terrible whiplash injury just waiting to happen then? A pillow added seems a safer solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About to exchange my 2018 Kia Soul lease, considering the 2020, need advice on trim levels. I'm considering the S, all the way up to EX trims. I may also do a test drive on the Seltos 2021 LX AWD or S (insurance is slightly less and monthly is the same as the S trim) I really need advice and I'm hoping for anyone that has the 2020's, is it worth it to get the higher trim, like the EX? I'd end up paying $1500 more over a two year period so not sure it's worth it. Also, I currently have the black Kia, hard to keep clean so may get the white or silver, maybe even the red.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just traded a 2004 Pontiac Vibe with 142,000 miles on her...! We bought the S version...plus a few extras the dealership threw in...the price? About the same for a USED 2019 Soul with 23,000 miles on it...with trade in bonus and other rebates (by the way, DEALERS ARE HUNGRY)...plus, they delivered it free (150 miles from our home)..from another state...ANOTHER 150 MILES AWAY. Put your negotiating hat on..play one dealer against another. S model is the best on the low end. My wife loves it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
About to exchange my 2018 Kia Soul lease, considering the 2020, need advice on trim levels. I'm considering the S, all the way up to EX trims. I may also do a test drive on the Seltos 2021 LX AWD or S (insurance is slightly less and monthly is the same as the S trim) I really need advice and I'm hoping for anyone that has the 2020's, is it worth it to get the higher trim, like the EX? I'd end up paying $1500 more over a two year period so not sure it's worth it. Also, I currently have the black Kia, hard to keep clean so may get the white or silver, maybe even the red.
Hi. I considered each trim level when I purchased last May, from GT-Line Turbo down to the LX. I ended up with the EX. A little over a year in, I'd still probably choose the same model, though the persistence of IVT (transmission) failures on the 2.0L non-turbo models might steer me towards the DCT (different transmission) GT-Line Turbo instead. Since you're not interested in the turbo, in your shoes I would go EX. Here's why:

1. Modest additional cost over lower trims (~$2k more than the S trim level).
2. Lots of "nice to haves" - here are the "biggies" for me (I do lots of ling highway trips): power adjustable driver's seat, heated front seats, 10.3" NAV/media screen, "Eco-Dynamics" treatment (as best I can tell, lighter rims, better underbelly aero-dynamics, and maybe something else) for a +2 mpg bump in fuel economy over all other 2.0L trim levels, projector headlamps rather than ordinary halogens on the lower trims, rear passenger folding armrest (I also often have rear seat passengers), dual height rear load floor for a flat load floor option (I have equipment intensive hobbies and many items like tripods and optical tube assemblies are long and need to be slid in and out of the cargo bay). (Note you lose the Eco-Dynamics if you opt for the EX Designer Collection package with the larger, heavier wheels.)
3. Better front end styling than lower trims, though not as nice as the full LED headlamp fascia on the GT-Line Turbo and EX with Designer Collection package.

The power seat and big easy to read NAV screen alone are worth the difference to me. The additional extras (rear armrest, better mpg, better front end looks, better illumination at night, flat cargo space with seats folded) are gravy.

On color, for sure white and silver will hide clearcoat scratches better. I have the non-metallic green and it it shows every clearcoat scratch in bright sunlight. But I still like the green.

Best,

Jim

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Minimize your troubles and maximize your fun, 86 the nannies and go with the base model LX.

Lots O fun, and minimal problems.

:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just an update, as a decision has been made, I got the EX in white almost one week ago now. As @Astrotraveler noted, it hides the clear coat scratches better. (my black 2018 LX was super hard to keep clean) I wanted the perks: 17" wheels, lumbar support, fog lights (a must for me), projector headlights, bigger screen, UVO, navigation, dual height rear load floor. But the LX, or any of Kia Souls current and past line up are great ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Hi. I considered each trim level when I purchased last May, from GT-Line Turbo down to the LX. I ended up with the EX. A little over a year in, I'd still probably choose the same model, though the persistence of IVT (transmission) failures on the 2.0L non-turbo models might steer me towards the DCT (different transmission) GT-Line Turbo instead. Since you're not interested in the turbo, in your shoes I would go EX. Here's why:

2. Lots of "nice to haves" - here are the "biggies" for me (I do lots of ling highway trips): power adjustable driver's seat, heated front seats, 10.3" NAV/media screen, "Eco-Dynamics" treatment (as best I can tell, lighter rims, better underbelly aero-dynamics, and maybe something else) for a +2 mpg bump in fuel economy over all other 2.0L trim levels, projector headlamps rather than ordinary halogens on the lower trims, rear passenger folding armrest (I also often have rear seat passengers), dual height rear load floor for a flat load floor option (I have equipment intensive hobbies and many items like tripods and optical tube assemblies are long and need to be slid in and out of the cargo bay). (Note you lose the Eco-Dynamics if you opt for the EX Designer Collection package with the larger, heavier wheels.)
3. Better front end styling than lower trims, though not as nice as the full LED headlamp fascia on the GT-Line Turbo and EX with Designer Collection package.

The power seat and big easy to read NAV screen alone are worth the difference to me. The additional extras (rear armrest, better mpg, better front end looks, better illumination at night, flat cargo space with seats folded) are gravy.

On color, for sure white and silver will hide clearcoat scratches better. I have the non-metallic green and it it shows every clearcoat scratch in bright sunlight. But I still like the green.

Best,

Jim
Thanks Jim, and yes, thanks to all the wonderful advice I decided to splurge. And for the reasons you mentioned, even one I was unaware (rear arm rest) I did go with the EX in white (not designer) I'll get the car cover, but even without, already I notice a huge difference in upkeep over the black. I don't mind the nannies, in fact, I like having the choice. I'm now just acclimating to the 'extras'. One thing I'm disappointed about though, is the LX 2018 w/ UVO I did not have to pay extra each year for UVO, everything was included in full. Why all of sudden are they charging for it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Jim, and yes, thanks to all the wonderful advice I decided to splurge. And for the reasons you spelled even one I was unaware (rear arm rest) I did go with the EX in white (not designer) I'll get the car cover, but even without, already I notice a huge difference in upkeep over the black. I don't mind the nannies, in fact, I like having the choice. I'm now just acclimating to the 'extras'. One thing I'm disappointed about though, is the LX 2018 w/ UVO I did not have to pay extra each year for UVO, everything was included in full. Why all of sudden are they charging for it?

Corporate greed.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Corporate greed.
You Think this is corporate greed, BMW is about to start charging subscription fees for heated seats, radar cruise and some other options, now that's corporate greed.

Pat.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You Think this is corporate greed, BMW is about to start charging subscription fees for heated seats, radar cruise and some other options, now that's corporate greed.

Pat.
I honestly thought you were joking or you had read an article in The Onion, but nope. So BMW wants to be the Comca$t of auto manufacturers? 😠

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts

Best,

Jim

The DCT failed on me at 45k miles. This was on a 2018 Turbo, just an FYI.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts