Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About to exchange my 2018 Kia Soul lease, considering the 2020, need advice on trim levels. I'm considering the S, all the way up to EX trims. I may also do a test drive on the Seltos 2021 LX AWD or S (insurance is slightly less and monthly is the same as the S trim) I really need advice and I'm hoping for anyone that has the 2020's, is it worth it to get the higher trim, like the EX? I'd end up paying $1500 more over a two year period so not sure it's worth it. Also, I currently have the black Kia, hard to keep clean so may get the white or silver, maybe even the red.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you don't want the safety nannies (lane assist, forward warning, etc.) you had better grab up one of the base Soul LX models before they make them standard in that line too. It's one of the very few left. Of course, if you want those, then it's basically what features you want and can afford.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't want the safety nannies (lane assist, forward warning, etc.) you had better grab up one of the base Soul LX models before they make them standard in that line too. It's one of the very few left. Of course, if you want those, then it's basically what features you want and can afford.
Thanks for responding! Yes, considered the LX as well, already a step up from my base model 2018 (with UVO) engine is better as well! Is it really worth getting all the 'safety nannies' there's already lane assist with the base, and a few more perks. I'm a very cautious driver, so probably don't need all the 'extras'. Not much of a difference in cost over two years, maybe $200 to get the S. Had hoped for AWD, maybe in two years time.

·
Registered
2020 Soul EX, Gravity Gray
33 Posts
Because I value the safety features, I shopped between the S and the EX. These are the two non-turbo trims that have the full suite of safety sensors. I ended up with the EX, and think you get a lot for the extra money. Useful upgrades that I have come to appreciate on the EX are... power seats with lumbar adjustment, heated seats, dual-level cargo floor, cargo cover, dual-zone air conditioning, rear armrest, projector headlights, & extra USB ports. Other EX features that are nice to have but I could live without... push-button start, 10.25" infotainment screen, UVO remote start, Sirius XM, built-in navigation & wireless phone charger.

For what it's worth, the EX (without the Designer Collection package) has a slightly better EPA gas mileage estimate than the other trims, at 29 city, 35 highway, 31 combined. The LX, S, X-Line and GT-Line non-turbo get 27/33/30.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
48 Posts
I bought the EX Designer in white. It looks great! I didn't like the way the standard EX has the dark-ed out rims. I'm a senior so I really like the safety features. Also, the visibility on the car is the best of any car I've owned.
Seats are comfortable and the radio on the designer has six speakers for a nice sound. I also like the UVO feature.
I think the new 2 liter engine has plenty of power with very respectable gas mileage.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,117 Posts
About to exchange my 2018 Kia Soul lease, considering the 2020, need advice on trim levels. I'm considering the S, all the way up to EX trims. I may also do a test drive on the Seltos 2021 LX AWD or S (insurance is slightly less and monthly is the same as the S trim) I really need advice and I'm hoping for anyone that has the 2020's, is it worth it to get the higher trim, like the EX? I'd end up paying $1500 more over a two year period so not sure it's worth it. Also, I currently have the black Kia, hard to keep clean so may get the white or silver, maybe even the red.
there is a dedicated forum to the Seltos if you want to find out more info from owners. It's run by the same company that runs this one.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,866 Posts
I vote EX for you. Watching dealer pricing I've seen them not that much more than some lower trims. If you like Satellite radio, it comes standard.

Reactions: kaismom

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for responding! Yes, considered the LX as well, already a step up from my base model 2018 (with UVO) engine is better as well! Is it really worth getting all the 'safety nannies' there's already lane assist with the base, and a few more perks. I'm a very cautious driver, so probably don't need all the 'extras'. Not much of a difference in cost over two years, maybe $200 to get the S. Had hoped for AWD, maybe in two years time.
Unless they changed the '20 LX models since we bought ours last summer, the LX does not come with any lane assist, blind spot or forward collision warning.

Please correct me if they changed it since then. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bough the EX over the S. I too am a Senior, am 6’7” tall, and have a cranky back from being an infantryman in Vietnam. I find the seating is a lot more comfortable as there are more adjustments, AND it has lumbar support.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone, still deliberating. I crunched the numbers with all the incentives (till July 6th) and the LX with a 2 year, $250 down lease w/ tier 1 credit, comes out to $282 LX, $291 S, $317 X, $326 Seltos LX AWD, $345 EX. so splitting the difference between the EX and the S, I'll save $1300 if I go with the latter. Interestingly my car insurance rate comes out to a bit lower with the 2021 Seltos than the 2020 Kia. I appreciate the votes for the EX BTW, I may get the EX b/c of certain features, especially the lumbar support ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the EX Designer in white. It looks great! I didn't like the way the standard EX has the dark-ed out rims. I'm a senior so I really like the safety features. Also, the visibility on the car is the best of any car I've owned.
Seats are comfortable and the radio on the designer has six speakers for a nice sound. I also like the UVO feature.
I think the new 2 liter engine has plenty of power with very respectable gas mileage.
Sadly they're all sold out of the designer package, unless I wanted to drive 90+ miles, so I'm kind of limited, the car looks better with the designer package (though as it was pointed out I'd get better gas mileage with the regular EX) so choosing between black, gravity, or if I drive another 40 miles out, the white or green. I'll add the roof rack as I did with my black 2018.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I LOVE the power heated seats. Very comfy. I was just in the dealership the other day for and oil change and looked for a moment at the Seltos. It’s more of a mature style of design, but quite attractive. It’s also considerably larger looking than the soul. I’d say closer to CRV sized, with at least an extra foot of length in the trunk (at least from the outside it looks that way). I’m imagining its also a but of a slug compared to the Soul since its tugging a lot more weight (but using the 1.6T like the GT-Line).

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
48 Posts
Sadly they're all sold out of the designer package, unless I wanted to drive 90+ miles, so I'm kind of limited, the car looks better with the designer package (though as it was pointed out I'd get better gas mileage with the regular EX) so choosing between black, gravity, or if I drive another 40 miles out, the white or green. I'll add the roof rack as I did with my black 2018.
Drive the 40 miles and give the designer a try. You can get warranty service at any Kia dealer.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,866 Posts
I agree with OldSoul, drive the 40 or 90 miles to get exactly what YOU want. I know it's a pain to do it, but you'll have this car for years and it will make a great story! Go for it Kaismom.

No pain...no gain 🌟

·
Registered
543 Posts

$17,486 for a gold EX. I personally like the DRLs on my EX, it gives the car an Audi/Range Rover look to it. The car is in VA, if the price is cheap enough, they should be able to ship it to you for less than $800.

Oh, and the larger navigation screen is what everyone that gets into my car compliments right off the bat. Then there's the upgraded Uvo system that has some perks. You'll buy a lesser car and will wish you had optioned it out later on. I say get the nicer trim if you can swing it as it'll be more appealing to any future buyer when you decide to sell.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated for the tips and advice. Though I love the sportier look of the X, the AWD and larger cabin feature of the Seltos, I'm now fixed on the EX in large part to all of you. Though I should mention this is lease, I'm not purchasing. If purchasing yes, I would drive a greater distance. I'm in Nor Cal, the white designer EX isn't available anywhere within 200 miles (my first choice due to the darker rims) There is a blue one about 80 miles away, and not a fan of the gold, unless gravity grey w/ gold roof. What is available nearest to me is the silver and gravity grey and black, and if I drive 40 miles the regular EX in white. I've also extended my lease and with my tags not up to date, I don't want to run into any issues en route. Not a big fan of the darker rims, I may get the gravity grey, or get the standard EX in white. It's a 2 year lease, so I may end up buying a used EX designer in the future or the 2022/2023 though early enough in the cycle to get the one I want. NOTE: Just spoke to the Dealer and he said b/c of Covid their normal stock has been affected these past few months.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated for the tips and advice. Though I love the sportier look of the X, the AWD and larger cabin feature of the Seltos, I'm now fixed on the EX in large part to all of you. Though I should mention this is lease, I'm not purchasing. If purchasing yes, I would drive a greater distance. I'm in Nor Cal, the white designer EX isn't available anywhere within 200 miles (my first choice due to the darker rims) There is a blue one about 80 miles away, and not a fan of the gold. What is available nearest to me is the silver and gravity grey and black, and if I drive 40 miles the regular EX in white or green. I've also extended my lease and with my tags not up to date don't want to run into any issues en route. Not a big fan of the darker rims, I may get the gravity grey, though I still may make the trek to get the standard EX in white. It's a 2 year lease, so I may end up buying a used EX designer in the future, or the 2022/2023 though early enough to get the one I want.
I have the blue, and when I was driving for Uber, the color and the 10" widescreen navigation were the biggest things I'd get compliments on. I chose the blue because it stands out in a sea of white and silver cars, which is great for Uber. I figured the gold was an option as you said you didn't like the dirt showing up. FYI, the dirt on the blue doesn't show too bad unless you're a few feet away from the car. If you can save a few thousand on the price, I'd say spend the $700-$800 to have it delivered. I drove 1200-ish miles to save $10,000 on a car. I spent a whole day "making" $10,000, which was worth my time. Good luck.

The car below for instance, $20,000-ish compared to about $25,000 for similarly optioned in CA, is $5000 worth a trip to AZ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the blue, and when I was driving for Uber, the color and the 10" widescreen navigation were the biggest things I'd get compliments on. I chose the blue because it stands out in a sea of white and silver cars, which is great for Uber. I figured the gold was an option as you said you didn't like the dirt showing up. FYI, the dirt on the blue doesn't show too bad unless you're a few feet away from the car. If you can save a few thousand on the price, I'd say spend the $700-$800 to have it delivered. I drove 1200-ish miles to save $10,000 on a car. I spent a whole day "making" $10,000, which was worth my time. Good luck.

The car below for instance, $20,000-ish compared to about $25,000 for similarly optioned in CA, is $5000 worth a trip to AZ?

I'm leasing and need to drop off old lease. I'm not buying so shipping a car isn't an option.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My wife had to have all of the nannies........I told her not to get them....She insisted. Guess who hates them and turns them all off as soon as she get in the car..... It makes insurance premiums much higher as well....at least that is what my insurance co told me....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My wife had to have all of the nannies........I told her not to get them....She insisted. Guess who hates them and turns them all off as soon as she get in the car..... It makes insurance premiums much higher as well....at least that is what my insurance co told me....
I checked on all trims except Turbo no difference on premiums on a lease anyway.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts