Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm not yet a Soul owner, but ever since I happened to rent one a few months ago, I basically knew what my next car had to be.

I came here to ask a question about a 2014 Exclaim I'm thinking about buying - Everything looked great, but the fuel economy tracker on the dashboard was showing only 12 mpg. I thought to try resetting it near the end of the test drive, and it jumped back to 24 mpg, but it kept dropping as we pulled back into the lot, and was back to 14 by the time I finished parking. Hoping to determine if this is a known issue with the fuel economy display, or if this a red flag and I should continue shopping elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
are you talking about the instant read-out or the average range?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2015 Exclaim with the Whole Shabang Package (ie: panoramic sunroof and 2.0L engine) and have driven it mostly in stop and go city conditions for about 9 months and my MPG has never gotten above 17 MPG unless I happen to take a highway trip. This mileage has been calculated using a car mileage app on my phone. The dash more average is usually ~ 15 or 16 MPG. I drive it pretty conservatively without driving like a grandma.

When I do take my Soul out on the freeway and get it going for long stretches, I can get up to ~30 MPG.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,613 Posts
Hi!

I'm not yet a Soul owner, but ever since I happened to rent one a few months ago, I basically knew what my next car had to be.

I came here to ask a question about a 2014 Exclaim I'm thinking about buying - Everything looked great, but the fuel economy tracker on the dashboard was showing only 12 mpg. I thought to try resetting it near the end of the test drive, and it jumped back to 24 mpg, but it kept dropping as we pulled back into the lot, and was back to 14 by the time I finished parking. Hoping to determine if this is a known issue with the fuel economy display, or if this a red flag and I should continue shopping elsewhere.
Yo, Ohio. I too rented a Soul and that helped tip the scales.

Go to Fuelly to see typical MPGs.

What miles what price are they asking for your 2014+? KBB says $9700 - $11,700 ballpark.

You could quite possibly get into a new base model for not a lot more. One phenomenon that some of us here have noticed is the insane low advertised prices for new cars in Illinois. Being a resident, you might have a better key to the code than we do. Worth a look, though.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...23000&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true

BTW, I've owned a + and two base--or as I call them, & models--and I can't feel any difference in acceleration between the 1.6 and 2.0. Road tests show up to one second difference in 0-60.

New car will get you a lower finance rate, better warranty, new tires, and no questions about condition. I believe the 2014+ is in a new recall right now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Exclaim with the Whole Shabang Package (ie: panoramic sunroof and 2.0L engine) and have driven it mostly in stop and go city conditions for about 9 months and my MPG has never gotten above 17 MPG unless I happen to take a highway trip. This mileage has been calculated using a car mileage app on my phone. The dash more average is usually ~ 15 or 16 MPG. I drive it pretty conservatively without driving like a grandma.

When I do take my Soul out on the freeway and get it going for long stretches, I can get up to ~30 MPG.
Oh, interesting, so it looks like the dash gauge may not even be that far off on the one I'm looking at. This one has the "Whole Shabang" package as well.

Fuelly shows most 2.0L Exclaims getting a combined 25-26 MPG. 15 city / 30 highway would be a combined 23, which is lower than average, but if the one I'm looking at is only getting 12 for city, it would be at the very bottom of the chart. Hmm.

What miles what price are they asking for your 2014+? KBB says $9700 - $11,700 ballpark.

You could quite possibly get into a new base model for not a lot more. One phenomenon that some of us here have noticed is the insane low advertised prices for new cars in Illinois. Being a resident, you might have a better key to the code than we do. Worth a look, though.
It's 43K miles for $13K, though as mentioned above it does have all the options.

So I asked about this new car pricing phenomenon at a dealership recently, and it turns out that in Illinois, you can advertise the price on new cars with every last possible incentive applied. Veteran discounts, recent grad discounts, everything stacked together. Which, of course, no one will actually qualify for! The sales guy said "we just do this to get people in the door." :apathy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts