Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through the car wash today and during the blow drying part at the end, the trim piece on the drivers side A-Pillar blew off. I pulled out of the bay and ran in and grabbed it. It looks just fine, popped it back in and it seems ok.

Now that I see how they come off, I went around to the other side and it comes off just as easy. Doesn't take much force at all to pull them off, no wonder these things blow off all the time.

The bottom end hooks under the fender so that end isn't coming loose, the top end, I applied a dab of GE Silicon Glue to the top 3 tabs and hopefully that will keep them in place better.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Went through the car wash today and during the blow drying part at the end, the trim piece on the drivers side A-Pillar blew off. I pulled out of the bay and ran in and grabbed it. It looks just fine, popped it back in and it seems ok.

Now that I see how they come off, I went around to the other side and it comes off just as easy. Doesn't take much force at all to pull them off, no wonder these things blow off all the time.

The bottom end hooks under the fender so that end isn't coming loose, the top end, I applied a dab of GE Silicon Glue to the top 3 tabs and hopefully that will keep them in place better.
Remember the old Brylcream commercials? "A little dab'l do ya!"
Likewise with GE Silicone Sealant. It's the Goo of a Thousand uses! lol
Stops leaks, stops rattles and shakes. Even if properly applied can stop your wife from nagging too much. rofl

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stopped at the dealership and they didn't have one in stock, a new one was $130 and the guy thought it would probably have to be painted when it got to them. He wasn't sure, but he said if it needs painting, that would be probably $50 to $75 at their body shop.

He then called Nordstrom's Automotive which is a huge salvage yard and they had two Souls and they both had the A-Pillar trim on them in black for $50. I got out there, both cars were green and it dawned on me, don't all Soul's have black A-Pillar moldings? Here's a link to Nordstrom's website if this comes up for someone else: Nordstrom's Automotive

Picture of what it looks like with it missing... in my own opinion, the body lines look better with it missing vs on there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
3M double sided tape side or molding tape # 021200 and that number is from 20 yrs ago not sure if it's good today but that will hold it on from now on and you will have to use a little heat to ever remove and then it won't be easy.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Last time my windshield ( 4/2014 ) was replaced one of the twin brothers installer team asked me if they had replaced those A pillar covers last time I got new glass & I said no. Before he even took them off he told me they could add those to my windshield insurance claim & get both replaced for free. I asked why & he said they might break a clip taking them off & clips will weaken & they can fly off, he called his shop to check if they had my Souls in stock, they did & I got New Shinny pillar covers, I posted pictures of my old faded pieces vs the new shinny parts on the windshield thread, great treat from the glass company & installers.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one that blew off on my car never did fit right. I noticed it last summer that it wasn't all the way set at the top end. I could push it down and it would pop back up a little. I didn't think anything of it until I put the new one on last week. I think the original one was warped a little, perhaps due to heat from the summer sun.

Anyways, the new one snaps in and looks correct and I doubt it will blow off.

I am due for a new windshield this spring, last time I price checked, it was only $270.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this part blow off last week, as a semi passed. Apparently, it threw just enough air to pull it loose and it flew far enough away that I was unable to find it. I just got off the phone with someone from Kia (via their 800#) He stated that they have NEVER heard of such a thing and I must have done something to cause this. Needless to say, I am pretty unhappy with the whole thing.

I've been driving for 40 years, and have NEVER had a piece of my vehicle blow off........lol. Guess there's a first time for everything. The 800 number for Kia is 800-333-4542. It would be awesome if everyone who has experienced this would inform them. There is no reason Kia owners should have to pay to replace "flying parts" :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The damn thing blew off on me again during my morning commute.
Not surprised.
Using the silicon glue/seal is not really made for automotive use.

Hint:the best stuff to fasten all types of materials especially exterior body parts is
Seal-All. You can get it at most auto parts stores and hardware outlets.
Its basically a contact cement in a tube. I've used Seal-All for years.
Its water and gas proof. Strong stuff. Sets up quick.
Trust me,it gives a permanent bond.

On the Soul A-pillars,I believe why they came off in the car wash was the groove
next to the windshield. The design of the A-pillar has this groove that could easily
catch a car wash brush that will will lift the part. I installed a chrome molding strip
in the groove to smooth the area. My purpose was to reduce the wind noise.
The molding did help.
Don't know why the piece does not fit flush next to the windshield.
Possibly for reasons of removal for windshield install or repair?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not surprised.
Using the silicon glue/seal is not really made for automotive use.

Hint:the best stuff to fasten all types of materials especially exterior body parts is
Seal-All. You can get it at most auto parts stores and hardware outlets.
Its basically a contact cement in a tube. I've used Seal-All for years.
Its water and gas proof. Strong stuff. Sets up quick.
Trust me,it gives a permanent bond.

On the Soul A-pillars,I believe why they came off in the car wash was the groove
next to the windshield. The design of the A-pillar has this groove that could easily
catch a car wash brush that will will lift the part. I installed a chrome molding strip
in the groove to smooth the area. My purpose was to reduce the wind noise.
The molding did help.
Don't know why the piece does not fit flush next to the windshield.
Possibly for reasons of removal for windshield install or repair?
Mine seal against the windshield, there is a rubber gasket on the edge that mates with the glass. Perhaps there is a difference in the 2012 vs 2013?

The one I was having trouble with last year when I made this thread, was warped and didn't snap in correctly. You could snap it down, and the top would immediately pop up when you took your hand off. It was that way as long as I could remember, probably since the car was new.

The wind from the blow dryer is what took mine off initially. I have never used a car wash with brushes... in fact, I don't think there exists one up here. When it was blown off, a couple of the clips broke in the process, hence why I tried to redneck fix it (minus the duck tape).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I lost two so far. The first one flew off on the highway. My Soul was under warranty and the dealer would not cover it. They blamed ME!! Right. My fault. I bought a replacement and the second one just flew off, same way.

·
Registered
306 Posts
dmwagner, I am curious, do these have to come off to replace the windshield? Have you ever had a windshield replaced?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts