Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
3 months with the new Soul and it has developed a problem. I have looked through all the post here and haven't found mention of this one so it may be just random.

My A-pillar mouldings have started to warp. It is along the top section near the roof. Both sides are doing this. They have warped so bad now that it has pulled the weather stripping off of the glass beneath them. When you run your hand across them you can feel the ripples in the plastic.

I just got back from the dealer and they said they have never seen this before. I have to bring it back tomorrow since of course the service manager was not in. They want to take photo's to send to Kia to see what the manufacturer thinks may be going on.

My only thought is that it is heat related since I live in Vegas and that black plastic has become really hot this summer.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Wow!,KIA will have to replace those whatever it involves on their part.
Careful now. It is TRIM. Read your warrenty on TRIM ITEMS. Yes it is COOCKOO on a new car, but not as COOCkOO as my 2003 Spectra LS. That had the dash reanimate and grow and morph! after it was cured at the factory and installed in car. Due to SC heat and humid weather. And the fact that someone liked to leave soda in cups and ice tea in cups in the midday heat. It vaporized and the dash sucked in up and then the sun beating down made the expansion foam molding process reverse and uncure and and morph and expand again. And KIA would not do thing one for it. Yet my Defroster vents popped out and up and off dash at four years old. And the hood over the instument cluster behind the steering wheel did as well at five years old. And none were covered by the 5/60 ever. And the passenger side airbag door was effected too. But they said unless I can prove it will not open or comprimises the AIRBAG deployment it is not covered. It was not my daily driver the 2004 Sorento is. So I let the person that did drive it deal with it and they were not really concerned in the first place, so why should I be.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Careful now. It is TRIM. Read your warrenty on TRIM ITEMS. Yes it is COOCKOO on a new car, but not as COOCkOO as my 2003 Spectra LS. That had the dash reanimate and grow and morph! after it was cured at the factory and installed in car. Due to SC heat and humid weather. And the fact that someone liked to leave soda in cups and ice tea in cups in the midday heat. It vaporized and the dash sucked in up and then the sun beating down made the expansion foam molding process reverse and uncure and and morph and expand again. And KIA would not do thing one for it. Yet my Defroster vents popped out and up and off dash at four years old. And the hood over the instument cluster behind the steering wheel did as well at five years old. And none were covered by the 5/60 ever. And the passenger side airbag door was effected too. But they said unless I can prove it will not open or comprimises the AIRBAG deployment it is not covered. It was not my daily driver the 2004 Sorento is. So I let the person that did drive it deal with it and they were not really concerned in the first place, so why should I be.
In your case, that would be negligence on someone's part, I can see why it was not covered but the A pillers were just exposed to the sun. They should be able to survive that.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Never seen anything like that. I am sure Kia will replace those. They are only clip on covers anyway - its not a big job.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
There was a scratch on mine when I got the car and they ordered a new one. No problem to replace

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some times the workers at the garage will not check the car properly before they deliver. this is why people get some defects in the car. this is not the Kia mistake but they happily replace them. sometimes human mistakes happen, its natural.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just heard back from the dealer. They have the parts in and will replace them for me tomorrow. They said that Kia wants the old mouldings to try and figure out what caused this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Vegas too... this past summer the same exact thing happened to my Soul... to the point where the moulding on both sides lifted out of their respective sockets... the dealer agreed to replace them at no cost... it only took a month and 2 different shipments (first shipment of mouldings were totally scratched)... I'm worried about next summer, or to be more exact the summer after which my body warranty is over...

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Surely the new part will then have the full term body warranty from when it was fitted, attached to it?.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
definitely shouldn't have any problems with getting a replacement even if it's years down the road b/c problem was documented within warranty period, which unlike a head gasket or some other wear part keeps em on line b/c not normal at all for something like this....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts