Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a suspicion this is a wide spread problem, but who listens to AM radio anymore? I do . So here is the problem. FM works as expected, but AM is pure static and digital
background noise. Took the car (2011) back to the dealer and they swapped the radio (and cracked the horshoe ring surrounding the radio/AC controls) to the same results.

The Service manager told me he went to a few other souls on the lot and had the same issue. We live around a lot of AM towers, so signal strength is not the issue.

If anyone else can't get AM on the radio, please advise. Thanks.

Anyone else get wind noise on the drivers side door at 65 MPH? Sounds like the door is not sealed or closed completely.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nada on the AM band as well. Replaced the radio a tester and same thing happen. They are going to replace the antenna with the wiring next time I'm due to service. Since the dealer have to order it.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
I listen to AM occasionally on my UVO system great sound (but obviously not as good as FM), also no wind noise problem on drivers side door.

I would check AM in your area on another make of car and hear what it sound like, or a different make of KIA.

Would be helpful if you could fill out your DRIVES profile on the left side - thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My AM stopped working today nothing but static. It worked great since new last year, taking it in this Wednesday to the dealer we will see what they say.
Dave Z

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,640 Posts
My AM is fine, which is good because that's all I listen to.

I had major problems with the AM in a GP I owned a while back. Idiot dealership started by replacing the entire 1600 dollar unit.

Finally after four or five visits and oh yeah an 800 call that got a GM Case Manager assigned because the dealership gave up after the replacement didn't fix the problem, it turned out there was a faulty antenna module which finally fixed it.

I will never return to that dealer, they were what GM FAIL was all about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can blame this issue on the "stubby" antenna found on all souls, and a lot of cars these days. Most audio manufactures focus on FM frequencies, and ever since satellite radio I have seen a dramatic drop in the size of antennas. Think of the antennas on your parents cars, they were huge.

If I remember correctly the ideal antenna length is based on the quarter wave length at the center frequency you are trying to receive. Since AM is in the 1 MHz range you need a much longer antenna compared to FM in the 100 MHz range, wave length is a inverse relationship to frequency. So the longer the antenna the better you will pickup AM frequencies, you wont be able to get an ideal antenna to fit on a car it would be to long.

Luckily you can unscrew the antenna, take it into a auto parts store/ car audio shop and find a longer antenna with the same size threads. It will look funny but will pick up AM better.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
I have no problem with AM reception. With the stubby antenna mounted on the roof its still as high or higher as the old long antenna's that were mounted in the fenders. Maybe there is boosters in the system to offset this.

My last two Kia's were the first encounter with the roof mounted stubby antenna's and the reception has been far better than my previous Oldsmobile with the regular fender antenna, but then again the units are always improving, with this UVO system being the best I have ever had in a vehicle, pulling stations in from far longer distances in both AM and FM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AM UVO problem also

I have a 2015 Sorento and after three years and only 22k miles the AM stopped working or only works intermittently. The dealer replaced it but same thing. I know it isn’t the AM waives or transmission cause when it works the local stations are clear, and the xt run, maybe I get one static sounding station. My Chevrolet’s get three times more AM stations all the time. The service manager is checking with the manufacture rep

1 - 8 of 8 Posts