Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
On my second Soul - a 2020 LX w/IVT
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at several of the shudder threads and assume this is a related issue.

I've noticed that the car will actually creep ever-so-slightly forward when being held by the brakes. I assume the brake booster pressure is fluctuating along with the engine and losing grip (slightly) on the brake disks. Weird.

Not sure if I want to bother with taking it in, since I doubt anybody would notice this issue (again - it's very subtle).

Just thought this description would be helpful to someone that may be experiencing this.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Ok, I have not responded to most of these threads, but let me thrown my two cents in. In all of my 2.0 (did not notice it on the 1.6) when the engine is first started and idles a little rough (not all the time but often enough, and is normal, we have discussed it to death before) and the car is in gear, it behaves exactly like Goose states. It is not consistent and it is not long lasting, either the engine being rough or the brakes creeping with some slight shuddering. This is on 2012s as well as the 2014 (slightly different engines). However, once the engine evens out and heats up some, the rough running and brake issue goes away. Engine on these things come up to operating temps very quickly.

I largely ignore both of them since by the time I get to the main road both are gone.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The rough idle issue is common from my experience and my reading.
The "creeping forward" should only be present when very light brake applications are in place just barely sufficient to hold the vehicle in check at, say, a stop light.
I would have to attribute that to vacuum fluctuations due to the rough idle and dipping rpms.
If your vehicle is "creeping forward" with heavy pressure on the pedal, that would have me quite concerned.
These rotors are also prone to quick surface rust and light brake applications would have the pads sliding somewhat across the superficial rust and not actually gripping the rotors clean faces.
All that goes away though after a brief brake application and a scrubbing of rotor faces by said brake pads.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Until the engine is warm and idle settles to 750rpm there will be a lot of drag on the friction plates/Bands.
I am aware there is a lot of resistance by drivers to selecting P when stopping at lights and junctions.
The way the modern torque converter boxes pull away without lag points to how the boxes have changed and how driving should be adapted.
To try and reduce friction wear the boxes now have a fluid pump that works at low revs to help reduce drag/wear as the car sets off. Once car is moving there is next to no friction wear.

Jeff

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine really isn't a shudder more like a quick violent shake then stops. Wife was actually scared to drive with me. If I down shift and brake very slightly it didn't happen. Calling on Monday.

·
Registered
On my second Soul - a 2020 LX w/IVT
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad somebody has found this info useful (or at least interesting to discuss).

It really struck me when the creep first occurred. The brake pedal is always fully depressed when this happens (which is only when the engine is cold). Again, the surging/creeping is very subtle - barely noticeable, but it's there. The creeping doesn't really concern me, but it is a quirky thing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've noticed an initial rough idle, but it goes away before I am out of the garage. I haven't noticed the car creeping forward, but then again, if the brake is firmly pressed, I don't know how it could. Brakes can always overpower the engine. In other words, you could hit the accelerator and the car will stay put if the brake is firmly applied. The only think I can think of that would allow the car to creep forward is if the power brake unit is loosing vacuum over night.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
In winter or if you have jet washed your car wheels you may get a film of rust overnight this could result in creeping at first but very quickly disappears. As already explained is down to the high low revs torque the new boxes produce to stop that wooly pull away of the old boxes.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have experienced this shudder and took it to the dealer. It feels like it's missing a beat, sometimes like it was going to quit. Dealer said no light so they couldn't do anything. I say that could drive it with the scan tool and check parameters on injectors, sensors etc. At another oil change service guy said it was transmission. Not happy with Kia service! Sure will not buy from this dealer again!

·
Registered
842 Posts
The rough idle issue is common from my experience and my reading.
The "creeping forward" should only be present when very light brake applications are in place just barely sufficient to hold the vehicle in check at, say, a stop light.
I would have to attribute that to vacuum fluctuations due to the rough idle and dipping rpms.
If your vehicle is "creeping forward" with heavy pressure on the pedal, that would have me quite concerned.
These rotors are also prone to quick surface rust and light brake applications would have the pads sliding somewhat across the superficial rust and not actually gripping the rotors clean faces.
All that goes away though after a brief brake application and a scrubbing of rotor faces by said brake pads.
This has been my experience except when backing out of the garage when the engine is cold. Light brake pressure (because I am backing out of garage), engine somewhat rough because it is cold. Sometimes I'll experience this at the first stop sign /light as both involve a turn which means pulling into intersection with light light brake pressure. I've just chalked it up to how this engine operates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts