Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having issues with my A/C smelling, so looking online and other threads here, my plan was to:

1) Turn on A/C
2) Spray cleaner/disinfectant into the intakes
3) Open doors and windows and let it run for 20 - 30 mins

As a quick test I tried the A/C without recirc (i.e. direct outside air) and everything smelt fine. So it must be something smelly near the recirc intakes, but searching the manuals for the location of the recirc intakes didn't have anything useful.

My Question: Where are the re-circulation intakes located in the cabin?

As an aside I already replaced my cabin air filter.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
557 Posts
Using a charcoal or scented cabin air filter is a option.
Checking & Cleaning the collection box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I should've mentioned that I already replaced the cabin air filter. It's just weird to me that only recirc smells, but not the normal/outside air mode doesn't.

@manfreity I checked under the glove box, there was the vent for foot air, but no recirc intake(s).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nevermind gents I figured it out.

tl;dr - I think the foam ring/seal on the recirc door was the smelly culprit.

My initial move was taking out the cabin air filter and to just spray into the cabin air box. I over sprayed a bit, so using my hand I got a rag in there to wipe up the excess, but it got sucked into the front of the blower. I quickly turned off the A/C, car, and disconnected the negative terminal.

Skimming the online Kia Manuals, it looked like it'd be a breeze to take out the blower motor. It wasn't. The guide for blower motor removal was so short is because it had a bunch of inline "Refer to X removal" references. Overall it'd have me removing the entire steering column. I was doing all of this to prep for a road trip the next day and didn't have the time (or patience) so instead I straightened out a wire hanger and just fished out the rag.

Getting back to spraying, I went by the books with other online tutorials. Windows and doors open, A/C off, fans on high, recirc off, and sprayed disinfectant every so often. Initially everything smelled fine, but when I turned recirc back on and the smell came back. Looking at the recirc door in the cabin air filter box, I saw it had a foam seal. So this I repeated all the steps but left recirc on and spraying the disinfectant onto the foam seal.

Driving it around the block seemed like I got rid of 90% of the funk. There's still some lingering, but I bet once it gets a chance to bake in the sun it should dry up. Also I now leave the car with recirc off so the seal is open to the air so it can stay dry more often.

To more directly answer my question of where the recirc intake is, it's on top of of the cabin air filter box. When the recirc door swings up and gets outside air, it covers the top of the box (the recirc intake) and is open to the engine bay (outside air). When it's in recirc mode, the door swings down and blocks the engine bay (outside air) and takes in air from the top of the box (the recirc intake).

I wish I took pictures for posterity, as it'd explained what I wrote in text a lot better. Overall it's nothing very techincal, but just some what obscure since Kia doesn't have any specific diagrams of it (that I could find).

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
557 Posts
Thanks for the useful info. jadekitten.
Enjoy the smell of success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts